Outdoor Rock Climbing Beginner advice?

Hi! I’ve really been wanting to get into outdoor rock climbing. Anyone have advice?? A friend of mine who does it said she just watched YouTube videos and ordered equipment from REI (because of covid). I have done indoor climbing. Also if your near LA/ventura CA area anyone recommended some good spots??

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    You might be better off posing this question in the Fitness board.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Maybe look for a climbing group in your area... they may be doing covid safe outings, you may be able to find a climbing buddy, or at the very least, you can get some advice that is specific to your location. Some colleges also have outdoor education / recreation centres that offer beginner classes, or have knowledgable staff that can help you. Good luck!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I know there used to be a couple spots out in LA area that were popular. One was out between Tarzana and Woodward, and I think some of the big names cut their teeth in that area. It was fairly small but had a lot of good practice areas and challenging shorter climbs. There was another I remember hearing about when out that way, but I can't remember where it was.

Joshua Tree isn't all that far from LA. I spent a couple years out that way. Plenty of climbing on all skill levels, but kind of spread out to find some of them. But worth it, and killer views in some areas.

As for advice, I was never into it too much, and mostly did milder free climbing stuff. But I had a few friends who were pretty good, and their advice to the newcomers was always about finding your feet vs using arm strength too much. Save the arm and hold strength for when you need it to find your feet. Stretch a lot, and anything to strengthen your fingertips, overall hands, and ankle strength and flexibility really helps.

Some of the big names came through the Joshua Tree area, and at times drew a crowd. Some of them were like human Gumby's or something.... it was hard to fathom even when watching it.

And most of all, be safe. Major injuries can happen at low heights, and on seemingly easy climbs.
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    Hi! I’ve really been wanting to get into outdoor rock climbing. Anyone have advice?? A friend of mine who does it said she just watched YouTube videos and ordered equipment from REI (because of covid). I have done indoor climbing. Also if your near LA/ventura CA area anyone recommended some good spots??

Don’t fall!
  • LDemi333
    LDemi333 Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2021
    Will PM you
  • IslandLens50
    IslandLens50 Posts: 2 Member
    I climb on the East Coast, and my best advice is to find out where the busy spots are, bring a crash pad, and make sure to grab folks’ numbers when you’re done trading beta :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I've done a bit of outdoor...quite a bit of indoor for awhile. I never felt comfortable going out on my own outdoor with my lack of experience. I met a few guys at the indoor gym who ventured outdoors fairly often and did a couple of outings with them. My gym also always had "meetups" posted for group climbs.