Stupid food experiment: breakfast against natural preference.

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
I want to test something tomorrow: only have a breakfast from protein and fats because I always say that my body absolutely needs lots of carbs and I always have the feeling that a diet of too much protein and fat leaves me low in energy and hungry. So... what can I do with supermarkets closed and as a volume eater?

I have a chicken breast of 110 grams. That gives me 120 calories. I need 143 calories more. Bit of cooking oil. Need 100 calories more. I think I'm lacking volume here, right? No eggs (reflux triggers). A tiny piece of hard cheese? Hmm.. Not great for a volume eater. For 100 calories I could have a big glass of high protein yogurt, but there's of course also carbs in it. Not much though, about 3.8 grams for 100ml in the form of sugar. It's still a big difference to about 41gr of carbs in my usual breakfast.

So what will happen? Do I crash? Do I have a fab morning? Anyone ever tried something as stupid? :D

Replies

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    I don't think it is stupid at all. Experimentation is great thing. I might give it longer than one day, as the supermarkets are closed today. Also, if you plan what you might eat, when you can get to market, it might be a little easier. Anyway, give it a couple of days. If you aren't going over your macros, what can it hurt? Let us know how it goes. Happy New year.
  • yirara
    Bluetail6 wrote: »
    I don't think it is stupid at all. Experimentation is great thing. I might give it longer than one day, as the supermarkets are closed today. Also, if you plan what you might eat, when you can get to market, it might be a little easier. Anyway, give it a couple of days. If you aren't going over your macros, what can it hurt? Let us know how it goes. Happy New year.

I'm seriously curious, but will keep it at breakfast for now. I might try a bit more at a later time. I'm just curious what happens as I'm usually starving again after 90 minutes. So lets see if I last longer or shorter. I always have the feeling that when I eat too much fats and proteins, especially for dinner that I have no energy at all anymore, until I have a carb-y dessert. So a morning test will be hardcore :D
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    the combination of carbs and protein are what keep me full.

keto diets, which is essentially what you are talking about, are very low in carbs and higher in fat and protein. My friend and her husband did it last year for about half the year. They lost weight, but she really wasn't happy with the highly restricted carbs. I know she regained some weight when they stopped, but she also had surgery and her movement was restricted. Im not sure if her husband regained any, but I am pretty sure he did.

I'd definitely give it more than a day to experiment with it just for breakfast purposes so you can get a more realistic view of how you are feeling afterwards.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't get the point, especially if you are happy with how you normally eat.

I prefer somewhat lower carb, esp at breakfast. I don't currently eat breakfast, but when I did it wasn't no carb, it was a 2-egg omelet with lots of veg and some feta cooked in olive oil, sometimes with half an avocado or cottage cheese on the side. If I was not working with eggs but chicken breast, I'd probably put it on a salad and have a dressing made with vinegar and olive oil plus some feta and olives or nuts or avocado for fat.

None of my preferred lower carb/higher fat and protein breakfasts are low volume. I'd probably be fine with some cheese and nuts for breakfast (I don't need breakfast which is why I currently skip it), but I like to use all meals as an opportunity to have vegetables.
  • yirara
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I prefer somewhat lower carb, esp at breakfast. I don't currently eat breakfast, but when I did it wasn't no carb, it was a 2-egg omelet with lots of veg and some feta cooked in olive oil, sometimes with half an avocado or cottage cheese on the side. If I was not working with eggs but chicken breast, I'd probably put it on a salad and have a dressing made with vinegar and olive oil plus some feta and olives or nuts or avocado for fat.

None of my preferred lower carb/higher fat and protein breakfasts are low volume. I'd probably be fine with some cheese and nuts for breakfast (I don't need breakfast which is why I currently skip it), but I like to use all meals as an opportunity to have vegetables.

Well, there's a thought behind it of course. Apart from wanting to be proven wrong. I love traveling, and I'm always worried about traveling to countries where I won't be able to get my usual high carb food. Not sure I'll be able to do one such trip this year, but I'm hoping it will actually happen. So it would allow me to stop worrying about it. A few years ago, when the sanctions were just about to be lifted I traveled through Iran. All the lovely fresh food was not available for visitors but only locals, and I ended up with high protein/high fat food for most of the trip and felt rather miserable and very low in energy the whole time, despite taking care of salt and other electrolytes. But there was also something else going on in my life at that time. Thus this is a first careful attempt at seeing if this really is not for me. If this works then I'll try a bit more some time in the future, with better preparation.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Interesting. My experience in traveling is more commonly the default is high carb, but mainly I'm fine with whatever the local cuisine is. I actually always think macros are exaggerated in their importance when food choice is limited. kshama has told her experience in Costa Rica and I similarly lost weight/was happy on a high carb diet when volunteering in Nicaragua. I've never been somewhere where low carb/high protein was normal but low carb is my preference at home as noted (although things other than macros are much more significant to whether I am satisfied with my diet, I'd be bummed if I couldn't have veg). (Protein tends to be more expensive so that broad international study showed the issue for food challenged areas was lower protein.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Wow, interesting that protein and fat were what was available.

I have to agree with callsitlikeiseeit, though. It's the balance that works the best for me.

I've never been anywhere that I couldn't get a mix, but then I have zero desire to go to Iran!

Good luck. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Well, there's a thought behind it of course. Apart from wanting to be proven wrong. I love traveling, and I'm always worried about traveling to countries where I won't be able to get my usual high carb food. Not sure I'll be able to do one such trip this year, but I'm hoping it will actually happen. So it would allow me to stop worrying about it. A few years ago, when the sanctions were just about to be lifted I traveled through Iran. All the lovely fresh food was not available for visitors but only locals, and I ended up with high protein/high fat food for most of the trip and felt rather miserable and very low in energy the whole time, despite taking care of salt and other electrolytes. But there was also something else going on in my life at that time. Thus this is a first careful attempt at seeing if this really is not for me. If this works then I'll try a bit more some time in the future, with better preparation.

Do you not eat or did they not serve rice and flatbread in Iran?
  • yirara
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Do you not eat or did they not serve rice and flatbread in Iran?

I got one rather small flatbread for breakfast, and there was rice for lunch and dinner but not much. Oddly, it was a lot of kebab. I’m used to lots of rice and a tiny bit of meat, if at all. It was odd.
  • yirara
    Chicken breast with a bit of paprika powder, cayenne pepper and salt, and natural yogurt. Certainly not satisfying :D I'm still hungry 20 minutes later. Just in my head I'm sure.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Kippers would match your protein and fat requirements and a more traditional breakfast food.

Which has just prompted me to remember to order some Isle of Man kippers by post, delicious!
  • yirara
    Right, that was that. Basically: I crashed. My blood sugar dropped and I felt miserable. Then it went a tiny bit past base level and then dropped to baselevel. This was with just sitting on the sofa and doing nothing. I guess if I was active the drop would have been quite a bit worse. My hunger never went away. I don't think I want to try this for longer than one meal.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Right, that was that. Basically: I crashed. My blood sugar dropped and I felt miserable. Then it went a tiny bit past base level and then dropped to baselevel. This was with just sitting on the sofa and doing nothing. I guess if I was active the drop would have been quite a bit worse. My hunger never went away. I don't think I want to try this for longer than one meal.

Interesting. I've always been a lot happier and felt satiated on a diet with high carbs as well. That is why keto would NEVER work for me. I don't find all protein and fat very satisfying. I think its really interesting how some people find different things more filling than others.
  • yirara

Interesting. I've always been a lot happier and felt satiated on a diet with high carbs as well. That is why keto would NEVER work for me. I don't find all protein and fat very satisfying. I think its really interesting how some people find different things more filling than others.

Yeah, very interesting indeed. I'm still not fully recovered and still feel mildly rubbish. I always assumed I just like carbs, but if I just gave it a chance more protein and fat would be fine and it's just in my head. But that was a substantial blood sugar drop, and I'm not even sure how far from the lowest point I was when I took the measurement. So reactive hypoglycaemia from protein is a thing. Who would have guessed. :o
  • ahclay
    ahclay Posts: 36 Member
    I don't think it's at all stupid. I try to include vegetables in my breakfast too. My favorite is asparagus, leeks, spinach, red pepper, grape tomatoes, and a little ham in scrambled eggs. Also a bit of cheese! Keep portions small and it is a keeper. Sometimes I have last night's leftover meat and veg. It works well for me and sets up my whole day. I doubt I'll ever eat cereal again.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    Breakfast this morning (I grilled the chicken last night with some honey Aleppo seasoning.) It was tasty, filling and satisfying.

uqahp53huovz.jpeg
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    And can I just thank whoever the poster was who recommended the low carb tortillas last year? They have totally rocked my meal
    world.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I think its always good to experiment and switch things up. It took me a long time to discover that a playr of eggs and potatoes with a slice of cheese in the morning can keep me full until late afternoon. Eggs alone just don't do it...its that protein/carb combo that seems to work best for me too.