Keto 2021

Hey everyone, I am starting a keto weight loss for 2021. I am new to the keto way of things so any support, tips, recipes or any other helpful information would be great! Hopefully I can also connect with some people for support and motivation on this journey. Good luck to everyone on their 2021 goals!

Replies

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Come join this keto group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    I've been in and out of that group for close to 3 years and still find myself learning new things from it.
  • Would love to connect. I've been Keto/Carnivore since 2017 and as a result I lost 75 pounds 3 years ago and maintained it until gaining 40 back during covid. On a journey to reclaim what got away from me and then some.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,929 Member
    I have just returned back to keto ... I absolutely love wholesumyum.com, pinterest, Ibreatheimhungry and ruled.me.com for recipes ...You are welcome to add me if you would like ...Wishing you the very best :)
  • DarbyTischer
    DarbyTischer Posts: 4 Member
    wdxsrpqklgjo.jpeg
    Grilled Salmon with avacado salsa and asparagus, keto friendly?
  • vivianpinkston75
    vivianpinkston75 Posts: 3 Member
    Don’t know where my last text went so here I go again. Please add me. Loved keto. Lost weight team years ago and kept it off. Medication and a broken ankle that turned into CRPS and makes me not able to walk or use that foot for exercise helped me gain weight again. Can’t wait to find some sitting exercises and to eat right.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Best tips:

1) keep your electrolytes up, WAY up. Salt is your friend (you dump sodium like crazy, so you need to be replacing it, along with ensuring good intake of potassium, magnesium, and calcium).

2) don't get sucked into the myriad myths around keto. This recent review of Gary Taubes' new keto book highlights some of those: https://optimisingnutrition.com/the-case-for-keto-by-gary-taubes-my-thoughts/?fbclid=IwAR2HI_gazeKjbzVprxfvcKdqzYx0chawyuwT4LOgW099wfB3TSWXs-dCUpc

3) Low carbs are the important bit for getting into ketosis, not high fat. You do not need to be chugging fat bombs trying to hit 75-80% cals from fat. Also, many people can eat more than the 20-25g net carbs usually put forward by many keto sites and still be in ketosis (high fat and very low carbs are necessary for therapeutic keto, but not if you are just using it for weight loss).

And yes, your meal appears to be perfectly keto-friendly.
  • DarbyTischer
    I did a “keto calculator” and it recommended the following:
    20g Carbs
    120g protein
    153g fat
    1937 calories

I get close to those numbers but don’t reach or exceed them, and it seems like I’m eating all the time. Pickles and olives have been a good snack for me, plenty of salt too? I also cut all soda out and switched to mineral water, says there’s sodium in it. Does mineral water count as water though?
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Best tips:

1) keep your electrolytes up, WAY up. Salt is your friend (you dump sodium like crazy, so you need to be replacing it, along with ensuring good intake of potassium, magnesium, and calcium).

2) don't get sucked into the myriad myths around keto. This recent review of Gary Taubes' new keto book highlights some of those: https://optimisingnutrition.com/the-case-for-keto-by-gary-taubes-my-thoughts/?fbclid=IwAR2HI_gazeKjbzVprxfvcKdqzYx0chawyuwT4LOgW099wfB3TSWXs-dCUpc

3) Low carbs are the important bit for getting into ketosis, not high fat. You do not need to be chugging fat bombs trying to hit 75-80% cals from fat. Also, many people can eat more than the 20-25g net carbs usually put forward by many keto sites and still be in ketosis (high fat and very low carbs are necessary for therapeutic keto, but not if you are just using it for weight loss).

• Nony_Mouse
    20g Carbs
    120g protein
    153g fat
    1937 calories

I get close to those numbers but don’t reach or exceed them, and it seems like I’m eating all the time. Pickles and olives have been a good snack for me, plenty of salt too? I also cut all soda out and switched to mineral water, says there’s sodium in it. Does mineral water count as water though?
    Best tips:

Yes, those are the sorts of numbers keto calculators spit out, and that zealots will tell you are necessary. They're not.

Without knowing your goal/ideal weight (or lean body mass if you know it), I can't say for certain, but your protein seems way too low, IMHO, unless you don't mind sacrificing some muscle mass along with the fat loss. It's complete nonsense that getting decent protein will prevent or throw you out of ketosis. Generally recommended amount during weight loss to minimise the loss of muscle, and even more important if you are strength training, is around 0.8g per lb of ideal/goal weight, or 1g per lb of LBM if you know it.

And as I said, most people can actually eat more than 20g net carbs. It is VERY difficult to get enough non-starchy veg to meet both fibre and micronutrient needs with carbs that low.

Your choice, at the end of the day so long as you are in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. But even if you don't up the carbs, I would seriously consider increasing protein and lowering fat to keep calorie goal the same.

FWIW, I don't consider myself to be 'doing keto', but ketosis happens to be a side effect of my current macro split. My macros today are 38g net carbs (I kind of aim to stay under 50, but I'm not going to die if I go a little over on occasion), 70g fat, 119g protein, 36g fibre.

And yes, mineral water is water ;). Actually, any non-calorie fluid counts towards water intake. Olives and pickles and both excellent salty snacks (drink the brine too, esp. if you're feeling like you have some keto flu going on).
  • DarbyTischer
    20g Carbs
    120g protein
    153g fat
    1937 calories

Best tips:

Yes, those are the sorts of numbers keto calculators spit out, and that zealots will tell you are necessary. They're not.

Without knowing your goal/ideal weight (or lean body mass if you know it), I can't say for certain, but your protein seems way too low, IMHO, unless you don't mind sacrificing some muscle mass along with the fat loss. It's complete nonsense that getting decent protein will prevent or throw you out of ketosis. Generally recommended amount during weight loss to minimise the loss of muscle, and even more important if you are strength training, is around 0.8g per lb of ideal/goal weight, or 1g per lb of LBM if you know it.

And as I said, most people can actually eat more than 20g net carbs. It is VERY difficult to get enough non-starchy veg to meet both fibre and micronutrient needs with carbs that low.

Your choice, at the end of the day so long as you are in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. But even if you don't up the carbs, I would seriously consider increasing protein and lowering fat to keep calorie goal the same.

FWIW, I don't consider myself to be 'doing keto', but ketosis happens to be a side effect of my current macro split. My macros today are 38g net carbs (I kind of aim to stay under 50, but I'm not going to die if I go a little over on occasion), 70g fat, 119g protein, 36g fibre.

And yes, mineral water is water ;). Actually, any non-calorie fluid counts towards water intake. Olives and pickles and both excellent salty snacks (drink the brine too, esp. if you're feeling like you have some keto flu going on).

I have a goal weight of 190, I do not know my LBM but based on .8 of 190 I am on the low side with protein so I will probably adjust my daily nutrient goals some for that. It’s been a good starting point and I appreciate all the insight!
  • lynn1
    lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
    I need guidance on Keto too!! Starting Monday!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    lynn1 wrote: »
    I need guidance on Keto too!! Starting Monday!!

@lynn1 - this really isn't something you should go into without having done some reading first so you have an understanding of what to expect and how to get through what can be quite a rocky start for some. I strongly suggest joining either the keto group, the low carb group (has people doing various forms of low carb including keto, or both.

The low carb group has a ton of really useful 'start here' info posts at the top of the forum (keto group likely has the same). https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum