bought dumbbells and i feel guilty for buying them

i just spend £150 on 4 dumbbells (2x10kg 2x5kg)

i feel guilty bc it was so expensive but i bought them bc gyms are on lockdown for at least a month probably longer but has anyone had good success with at home dumbbell workouts?

at the gym i do both dumbbells and machines but i feel like the machines are more effective? idk

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    You can do a lot with a couple sets of dumbbells... The question is... Will you use them?

You can't buy a machine for that price, so if your gym options are out, you're kind of stuck with the dumbbells... But adding them to lunges, squats, pushup /renegade rows, overhead press.. It all benefits.

If you don't feel a burn, then either do more reps, or do much slower reps and it'll be there.

It's a decent stop gap.

yeah i will use them it’s apart of my routine it just won’t feel like the gym experience.

i bought the weight level i was at before the gyms closed just as a way to maintain my strength rather than gain bc to gain i would need to progressive overload and would have to buy more weights
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    You can do a lot with a couple sets of dumbbells... The question is... Will you use them?

You can't buy a machine for that price, so if your gym options are out, you're kind of stuck with the dumbbells... But adding them to lunges, squats, pushup /renegade rows, overhead press.. It all benefits.

If you don't feel a burn, then either do more reps, or do much slower reps and it'll be there.

It's a decent stop gap.

yeah i will use them it’s apart of my routine it just won’t feel like the gym experience.

i bought the weight level i was at before the gyms closed just as a way to maintain my strength rather than gain bc to gain i would need to progressive overload and would have to buy more weights

No... But even though it's different... Tis still pretty awesome. Safe. And convenient.

Congrats!
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Really don't feel bad! It is a great investment! Check out videos on youtube! I have gotten toned and stronger doing Sydney Cummings videos, but there is all kinds out there!
  • breanamock
    breanamock Posts: 28 Member
    Agree with everything above! Also, you can still increase strength without increasing the weight you're using. Check out YouTube videos from people who know a lot more than me, but slowing down your reps or changing to more difficult variations are ways to increase the work the muscle is doing without making the weight actually heavier. So don't just see them as stopgap: they can be useful for quite a while!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    You should read the success story of @TinaZ2018. She went from never working out to doing pretty much everything you can image from her living room. She would be a perfect resource for you.
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    You can do so much with dumbbells. I learn a lot on youtube and I research different exercises and their proper form. There is so much to learn but you can definitely do a lot with dumbbells so maybe give that a try?

Also, my dumbbells are outside and sometimes it's too cold for me to go out so I get large water gallons or jugs I keep handy in my house and use that (if I don't have dumbbells available). I just make sure they have the same amount of water so they are the same weight.

So many videos online to learn from, just make sure you research proper form as well.

• McBurnsalot
    McBurnsalot Posts: 14 Member
    Dumbbells are a great investment and will last the rest of your life. Don’t feel guilty about that. Power90 and P90X are great videos that utilize bumbbells.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Investing in your health is money well spent! You deserve to be healthy and continue to be healthy during lockdown. Working out takes a lot of stress away and gives you something good to focus on. 😊

Worth reading again. Wish I’d done something like buy and use weights years ago! Take care of yourself!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,128 Member
    Easiest way to ease that guilt is to use them! You'll eventually thank yourself for having made that decision.
    In any case, even if it was a mistake--and it probably wasn't--what's done is done. Don't dwell on what you can't change.

• scott_90345
    scott_90345 Posts: 17 Member
    You should not feel guilty if you need dumbbels to maximize your potential in your training. The big challenge which many people face during lock down is to find the most useful equipment at low cost. Many of my friends have shifted there focus on body weight exercises.