goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    shnerb00 wrote: »
    Weigh in day!

Start Weight 160.2
    Goal Weight 135

12/28 160.2
    1/4 155.8

4.4 lbs loss!

Staying committed to my daily habits (sooo happy to see people quoting Atomic Habits—I love that book- I’ve listened to it twice) is paying off. I drank 96oz water, exercised, logged and stayed under calorie budget every day this week. This is a bigger weekly loss than I’m aiming for, but I typically lose the first few pounds quickly then it tapers off. I may have to eat more though because of extra exercise.

Question though, do you all increase your calories in according to your added exercise or do you stick to your calorie budget?

Question though, do you all increase your calories in according to your added exercise or do you stick to your calorie budget?

shnerb00,
    I always "eat back" my exercise calories; in other words allow myself to have all the calories shown after my daily exercise number of calories has been added to the total food calories at the bottom of the MFP food log of the day. As long as the total calorie count does not go into the red you are still "sticking to your calorie budget" for the day and you will continue to lose weight.
    Hope this helps & good luck!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,151 Member
    @shnerb00 , @goyologo
    I generally try to split the difference. For example, yesterday:
    Adjusted calorie goal = 1640 (daily calorie goal) + 504 (activity calories burned) = 2144
    Calories consumed = 1800 (falls between 1640 and 2144)
    I have previously tried to stay under the the original calorie goal, but I found that I was losing muscle mass. I know that it's common to lose some muscle mass during weight loss, but I want it to be minimal, if not a gain. I've read that eating all the protein you're allowed, combined with strength training, can help in that regard.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @shnerb00 , @goyologo
    I generally try to split the difference. For example, yesterday:
    Adjusted calorie goal = 1640 (daily calorie goal) + 504 (activity calories burned) = 2144
    Calories consumed = 1800 (falls between 1640 and 2144)
    I have previously tried to stay under the the original calorie goal, but I found that I was losing muscle mass. I know that it's common to lose some muscle mass during weight loss, but I want it to be minimal, if not a gain. I've read that eating all the protein you're allowed, combined with strength training, can help in that regard.

Do you use dumbbells? Buy some in a reasonable but challenging weight and find a youtube video that fits your pace. We need to do some resistance training for our muscles; I dont think just walking is enough. Also, doesn't weight training build stronger bones, too.
  • shnerb00
    shnerb00 Posts: 269 Member
    lperkins5 wrote: »
    Happy New Year all, Fat *kitten* here, and still fat...I was hoping to lose 20 pounds over the holidays...but it just didn't happen! I did weigh myself this morning, and oh my God....what went wrong. I started at 283, this morning I was 285...my scale was streaming, get your ...off of me!!! Tomorrow I'm using two scales...

@lperkins5 “Tomorrow I'm using two scales...”. So smart!!! And oh so funny 🤣