Does the calorie deficit work?

Replies

• nicolewalter16
    nicolewalter16 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2021
    @yirara why are you against the 1200 calorie setting?

have been on the 1200 calorie allotment for a month now and was seeing great results ( the last week I haven't seen scale changes but my pants are fitting better). It hasn't been too hard to stay at that with some of the great (whole foods, produce and lean protein) and filling recipes I have found and some that I ammended. There are days I find myself adding a snack to get closer to 1200 calories since I don't want to go under. My macros aren't always perfect but they are pretty close and I don't feel deprived. I actually don't feel hungry either, but sometimes I have to fight off a sweet tooth but the sugar addiction is greatly improving.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    MFP bottoms out at 1200 cals as the minimum calorie intake, usually because people choose too agressive a rate of loss or because they have incorrectly set their activity level (so many new people choose 2lbs per week which is only really suitable for those who are obese and Sedentary activity level that only accounts for around 3000 steps per day, rarely are people truly sedentary).
  • nicolewalter16
    @tinkerbellang83 I dont think 2 lbs per week sound too agressive, I'm willing to do the work and I still get 1200 after upping my activity level.

Could this setting be stalling my progress?
  • nicolewalter16
    edited January 2021
    @tinkerbellang83 I guess I just don't find it too limiting. I am usually around 1300-1400 calories intake since it gives me around 300-800 calories for exercise from My fitbit steps usually 10,000 -14,000 per day) but I don't like to use it all. Just enough to get by
  • nicolewalter16
    @Lietchi that does make sense. Earlier on I had some days where I only at like 800 calories (even tho I was eating breakfast lunch and dinner) and I found that I didn't lose as much weight those days. That is when I started trying to get no less than 1200 calories in (and it did make room for snacks or even a small treat)
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2021
    Lietchi wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 I guess I just don't find it too limiting. I am usually around 1300-1400 calories intake since it gives me around 300-400 calories for exercise from My fitbit steps usually 10,000 -14,000 per day) but I don't like to use it all. Just enough to get by

You may not find it too limiting for a month, maybe two but if you have a bit to lose, then it needs to be sustainable long-term and that is where the problem lies for many people.

10-14,000 is pretty active, and you need to be fueling that activity, or eventually you'll just burn out. If you're getting a 300-400 cal adjustment, eat to what your new calorie goal is not just 1300-1400 calories.

Yup, I can confirm (from reading others' experiences here) that you are still in the 'honeymoon period', I've seen a lot of people state that they are fine on low calories, but after the first few weeks/months their body started to protest.

Personally, I don't understand how people can manage on such a low calorie budget. I've always eaten 1600+ calories and still lost weight (although not as fast as most people would like, but I didn't mind losing at 'only' 0.5-1lbs per week if it meant I got to eat more :grin:

Yeah, same after years of failed attempts I set myself to 1lb per week loss and was losing weight on around 2400 calories on active days/ 1800 on sedentary days.

@nicolewalter16 perhaps look at your stats in TDEE calculator (tdeecalculator.net is one) with Light or Moderate exercise and see what your approximate daily calorie burn is to understand how far below it you're eating.
  • nicolewalter16
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for the clarification. I'm nervous I am going to sabotage myself on accident.

I fully plan to switch over to a new goal of 1 or 1.5 lbs per week loss if I feel limited and am looking forward to switching over to the maintain weight goal when I get to my goal.

I have such a hard time know what "obese" even means the BMI charts seem so tough. My goal is 150 lbs. That is the smallest I would have ever been. But I would still be "overweight" according to BMI. However 145 lbs would be "normal" on BMI.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2021
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for the clarification. I'm nervous I am going to sabotage myself on accident.

I fully plan to switch over to a new goal of 1 or 1.5 lbs per week loss if I feel limited and am looking forward to switching over to the maintain weight goal when I get to my goal.

I have such a hard time know what "obese" even means the BMI charts seem so tough. My goal is 150 lbs. That is the smallest I would have ever been. But I would still be "overweight" according to BMI. However 145 lbs would be "normal" on BMI.

BMI is just a range and it's not right for everyone, I was pretty happy and had a healthy hip-to-waist ratio at 200lb which is still "Obese" in BMI terms, I do however weight lift and do long distance rowing, so I am all muscle across the shoulders and upper arms. You can always adjust your goals as you go, you don't have to be rigid in them.

The only way you'll end up not losing weight is eating over maintenance. Weight loss neither has to be complicated or miserable :smile:
  • nicolewalter16
    @yirara

I am 29, I will turn 30 in August. I am 5'4" and currently sitting at 189, my goal is to reach 150 (even though I will still be considered oberweight, I'm trying to be realistic). All of those facts hard for me to admit.
    I know I need to be patient (never a strong suit of mine) but I am staying at 189 on the scale for a week seems like I am probably doing something wrong. If my calories in are correct and my out are correct I should be losing consistently. I have thought and re-thought how I am measuring but I am using a food scale and measuring as accurately as I feel I can.

I have seen other sources say that my fitness pal often over calculates how many calories you should get back for exercise so it is best not to use those calories.

Your explanation of calories as I lose weight seems to only support that I should keep my calorie goal at the lowest 1200 especially since I may be making errors in measuring or my fit bit as I hear might be over counting my exercise.
  • nicolewalter16
    edited January 2021
    One thing I have been trying to reassure myself with is a post someone made on here about the phases of being on MFP. This time line would put me in phase 2 where you don't lose scale weight but see body changes for the whole second month of your journey.

Did you also find that true?
  • tinkerbellang83
    @yirara

I am 29, I will turn 30 in August. I am 5'4" and currently sitting at 189, my goal is to reach 150 (even though I will still be considered oberweight, I'm trying to be realistic). All of those facts hard for me to admit.
    I know I need to be patient (never a strong suit of mine) but I am staying at 189 on the scale for a week seems like I am probably doing something wrong. If my calories in are correct and my out are correct I should be losing consistently. I have thought and re-thought how I am measuring but I am using a food scale and measuring as accurately as I feel I can.

I have seen other sources say that my fitness pal often over calculates how many calories you should get back for exercise so it is best not to use those calories.

Your explanation of calories as I lose weight seems to only support that I should keep my calorie goal at the lowest 1200 especially since I may be making errors in measuring or my fit bit as I hear might be over counting my exercise.

There is only one amount that is likely to be absolutely incorrect when it comes to calories burned due to exercise (hint - it's zero). MFP can be out, as it's all estimates. The only way to find out is to eat some of them back and see how your weight loss looks over 4-6 weeks. But 400 calories for exercise doesn't seem like a huge amount for someone doing as many steps as you're doing.

Not seeing weight change on the scale doesn't mean you aren't losing consistently, it just means the scale hasn't yet caught up, you really need to try and work on this patience thing. There will be times the scale doesn't show a loss, there'll be time it shows a gain too possibly. TRUST THE PROCESS!

At your stats, even at Lightly Active (which only accounts for around 5000 steps per day) your maintenance would be around 2200 calories so as long as you're eating below that, you will lose weight. I'd also point out you are doing double those steps per day.

When you get to your last 15-20lbs you'd be maintain at around 2050, but you'd also be needing to drop your rate of loss down to 0.5lbs per week.