Question about the app - bodyweight workouts

Hi everyone,

Nice to be apart of the myfitnesspal community.

I've started tracking my calories and exercises, though I'm a little confused about the calorie expenditure on strength training. It feels way too high.

When I select bodyweight workouts such as handstand push-ups, pistol squat, single-arm push-up, plyometric push-up, narrow grip pull-up and calf raises - the app gives me the option to add weights.

Do I add my own bodyweight to this?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited January 2021
    The strength training part of the exercise database won't give you calories. It's for keeping track of stuff like reps/sets/weights. So, you can add bodyweight or not, whatever helps you track strength progress.

To get calorie credit, there are two general options.

One would be to link a fitness tracker, tell it what exercise you're doing, and let it estimate. (May or may not provide a good estimate for strength training calories. Some seemingly try to use heart rate for strength training, in ways that aren't accurate). I won't go into details on this, as it seems not to be what you're trying to do. Synch the tracker to MFP.

The second way is to get calorie credit is to go to the *cardiovascular* part of the MFP exercise database, and add your workout there. If you were doing normal reps/sets with weights, you'd use the "Strength training" entry (with a timespan that included the normal between-set rests). Faster stuff would be "circuit training". For bodyweight work, it's a little more variable, but I'd probably use one of the "Calisthenics" entries. Again, use the whole workout time, unless you take an extended break in it for some reason.

ETA: If you have an outside source for valid calorie estimates for what you're doing, it's also possible to create your own exercise. MFP would then use the calories per minute you gave the exercise the first time to estimate your future uses of the exercise you created, and I believe also would scale it according to bodyweight changes.

Note that you can override the calorie count for any exercise at the time you log it, too, if you want to.