Introduce Yourself

tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
A brief introduction (who are you, where you're from, what makes you consider yourself a geek etc) and maybe also if you're accepting friend requests and any stipulations.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    I'm Ange, I am a UK immigrant living in Ireland (or BREXIT refugee whatever you want to call it).

I am not a die-hard fan of any particular franchise although I do have a lot of Batman stuff. I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Tolkien, Pratchett, Tom Holt, Older Dr Who (Pre-2000) and a myriad of superhero, sci-fi, fantasy and horror stuff.

I accept Friend Request (most of the time) but do prefer they come with a message (there are a lot of weird people out there).
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I'm Jackie from Yorkshire, I'm not incredibly geeky - I dont retain facts, cant quote anything and often forget plots lol. I love Doctor Who but really don't like the latest Doctor, we had a themed wedding and my groom dressed as Capaldi's Doctor. My bathroom has a bit of a Who theme too....
    I also like Avengers, Iron Man and Transformers to name a few.

I generally accept friend requests but would rather they were from people who need to lose (or have lost) larger amounts i.e 50-60lbs or more, only because our struggles are likely to be similar and I can offer more relevant support.
  • _wild_phoenix_
    _wild_phoenix_ Posts: 31 Member
    Hey I'm Erica! Colorado, US. I'm a computer need, I'm slowly learning different types of programming because you know, why not. Lol. Way into Marvel (not a fan of DC sorry). I can do most math in my head without a second thought. Star Wars all the way. Current book obsession: Black Dagger Brotherhood and A Shade of Vampire. Plant obsessed, though not nearly as knowledgeable there but working on it.

I accept friend requests from anyone no judgement here
  • jeeves19831
    jeeves19831 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi all, Im Ryan from UK. 37 year old dad whos in Playstation, Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, DC etc. Definately into the MCU.

As Jackie above says, happy to get invites from all. Anyone with advise for people who have to lose bigger amounts would be welcomed.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Hi all, Im Ryan from UK. 37 year old dad whos in Playstation, Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, DC etc. Definately into the MCU.

As Jackie above says, happy to get invites from all. Anyone with advise for people who have to lose bigger amounts would be welcomed.

Hi Ryan - both myself and Jackie are members of this group too which is good for those with a lot of weight to lose - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

From my personal perspective I advise - as sustainable a plan as possible, it's a long term commitment, no point in making it more miserbable than is absolutely necessary and aim to log as accurately as possible regardless of whether you have a "bad day" or not, the accountability can help immensely. My binges these days are nothing compared to those 5-10 years ago.
  • Jackie9003
    The larger losers group is brilliant, lots of practical advice and relatable experience from the people on there.
  • jeeves19831
    @tinkerbellang83 thanks for the link. I went to the page but doesnt seem to be a button to join, or is it invite only?

Im trying at the moemnt to make small changes to my lifestyle e.g reduce sugar/milk in coffee etc. I plan on going home tonight and binning the last of the xmas treats to remove temptation. I think my concern is i have no will power, for example ill be all geared up ready to go, then on the way home ill fill up the car and buy a pastie. My brain never says "no you shouldnt!!". Happens in the Kitchen too when i make the wife and I a brew, i start looking for nibbles, but no little voice in my head says "STOP!!".
  • tinkerbellang83
    Join button should be on the page although others have had issues, I'll see if I can invite you to it.

@jackie9003 you're admin for that group aren't you? Is it invite only now? I had a similar response from someone else the other day when I suggested the group.
  • Jackie9003
    edited January 2021
    Join button should be on the page although others have had issues, I'll see if I can invite you to it.

@jackie9003 you're admin for that group aren't you? Is it invite only now? I had a similar response from someone else the other day when I suggested the group.

I'm not aware of it changing, although I haven't been on there for a while. I've had a look and can't see anything about settings or invite only.
    I've invited @jeeves19831 so hopefully that will work.
  • jeeves19831
    Cheers guys found it. The main page didn't have the buttons. Had to go into a thread to see them at the top.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    I'm in the confession box... I like Harry Potter, Star Trek, DC, Marvel, comic book nerd. Tintin and Asterix & Obelix, fantasy, sci-fi shows * cries in Fringe* Come baaaaack! Please accept my humble offering.
  • tinkerbellang83
    I'm in the confession box... I like Harry Potter, Star Trek, DC, Marvel, comic book nerd. Tintin and Asterix & Obelix, fantasy, sci-fi shows * cries in Fringe* Come baaaaack! Please accept my humble offering.

Hello and welcome, great selection of sins ye have confessed to. We accept your offering!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Hi all. Math and Physics major in college. Currently work at a ultra-high intensity laser research facility in the US. I'm 45 years old, Star Wars shaped my childhood. What makes me geeky? I like to go on Reddit and help people solve their math and physics problems. I love all things science but cosmology, lasers and quantum physics are my thing. Relativity sends my heart racing. Good to "mmet" you all.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member

Hello and welcome, great selection of sins ye have confessed to. We accept your offering!

THANK YOU FROM THE HEART OF MY BOTTOM!!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Hello, I'm Rhaiin. I'm a 28 year old computer technician and I live with my husband and our 3 cats. I'm into books, anime, videogames, and Marvel.

My favorite types of books are Urban Fantasy, Dystopians, and Folklore. I love anything that deals with the fae. A few of my favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Holly Black, Julie Kagawa, Richelle Mead, and Karen Marie Moning.

Some of my favorite animes are Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, and Fruits Baskets. I watch a wide variety of anime.

I own several gaming systems, but usually play PS4, Switch, Oculus and PC. I mostly play Overwatch and Warframe on PS4, Pokemon and Harvest Moon on Switch, Beat Saber on Oculus, and 7 Days to Die on PC.

My favorite Marvel characters are Gambit, Deadpool, and Spiderman.
  • tinkerbellang83
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Hello, I'm Rhaiin. I'm a 28 year old computer technician and I live with my husband and our 3 cats. I'm into books, anime, videogames, and Marvel.

My favorite types of books are Urban Fantasy, Dystopians, and Folklore. I love anything that deals with the fae. A few of my favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Holly Black, Julie Kagawa, Richelle Mead, and Karen Marie Moning.

Some of my favorite animes are Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, and Fruits Baskets. I watch a wide variety of anime.

I own several gaming systems, but usually play PS4, Switch, Oculus and PC. I mostly play Overwatch and Warframe on PS4, Pokemon and Harvest Moon on Switch, Beat Saber on Oculus, and 7 Days to Die on PC.

My favorite Marvel characters are Gambit, Deadpool, and Spiderman.

Welcome!

I've been reading/listening to quite a bit of Neil Gaiman lately - really enjoyed BBC radio performance of Neverwhere.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Hi! I’m Kathy, a lifer geek as you can probably tell by my user name. Love all things Middle Earth, Trek, SW... you name it. I’m a US expat living in Germany trying to lose my COVID-19 plus about 20 of its friends ;). I welcome all friend requests!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Hi! I’m Kathy, a lifer geek as you can probably tell by my user name. Love all things Middle Earth, Trek, SW... you name it. I’m a US expat living in Germany trying to lose my COVID-19 plus about 20 of its friends ;). I welcome all friend requests!

Welcome!
  • ajlmfp22
    ajlmfp22 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2021
    Anthony here. 31-years old. I work as an analytical chemist for the Quality Control department of a small pharmaceutical company.

Born and raised in the United States. Currently living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I'm a geek because I have a tendency to get very passionate and invested in the things I enjoy, which are mostly my nerd hobbies:
    - Avid Magic: The Gathering player and returning competitive Yu-Gi-Oh! player.
    - Pretty much been a gamer my entire life. Trying to get the Platinum Trophies for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4. Getting my feet wet with some competitive rank doubles battling in Pokémon Sword. The cold winter weather also has me curling up in the comfort of my own bed with Hades on my Switch Lite.
    - Been devoting a lot of time, effort, and money in building Gundam plastic model kits (Gunpla).
    - I don't really read comics these days, but I do still enjoy collecting Marvel action figures. Spider-Man became my favorite hero after I found a comic panel of him saying, "I guess I could always identify with the Mets, you know? A bunch of lovable losers who hit the occasional home run by accident. Just like me."

As far as friend requests go, I'm open to them.
  • tinkerbellang83
    ajlmfp22 wrote: »
    Anthony here. 31-years old. I work as an analytical chemist for the Quality Control department of a small pharmaceutical company.

Born and raised in the United States. Currently living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I'm a geek because I have a tendency to get very passionate and invested in the things I enjoy, which are mostly my nerd hobbies:
    - Avid Magic: The Gathering player and returning competitive Yu-Gi-Oh! player.
    - Pretty much been a gamer my entire life. Trying to get the Platinum Trophies for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4. Getting my feet wet with some competitive rank doubles battling in Pokémon Sword. The cold winter weather also has me curling up in the comfort of my own bed with Hades on my Switch Lite.
    - Been devoting a lot of time, effort, and money in building Gundam plastic model kits (Gunpla).
    - I don't really read comics these days, but I do still enjoy collecting Marvel action figures. Spider-Man became my favorite hero after I found a comic panel of him saying, "I guess I could always identify with the Mets, you know? A bunch of lovable losers who hit the occasional home run by accident. Just like me."

As far as friend requests go, I'm open to them.

Welcome - I just set up a Gamer thread, not too active just now, but maybe it'll pick up once the numbers do.