Dry January

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    I'm on the headache part of withdrawls right now...ughhh. I started on Sunday so 4 days dry, today is day 5...so by tomorrow i'll actually feel the healthy part of this? Right????
  • LanceALars65
    LanceALars65 Posts: 16 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lemon water is always good! I'm going to make some mint iced tea for tonight. Yesterday was the toughest day, for me, so far because I had so much going on during the day.I would have, normally, had a few glasses of wine since I stayed up late watching the news. I think it'll probably get easier after the first week.

After watching the news today I'm really going to struggle ... 😳
    Must
    Turn
    Off
    News... Lol

Well...I made it 5 days. Broke down yesterday. We had protests yesterday in our state capitol with lots of gun toaters...Capitol building was closed as well as the Supreme Court...I work for the courts, and though I don't work in Santa Fe, we did have protestors outside of our court house. Supreme Court told all courts to close throughout the state...very unpleasant walking to your car from your office with a bunch of gun toating nut cases screaming at you...I'm like hey...I'm a friggin' accountant over here numnuts.

Wow! You live and work there? I would have not fallen by jumped off the wagon there yesterday!
    Be safe You can do dry whatever, whenever!
    Who knew being an accountant would be such a dangerous job....
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I am on board... but I have been dry for almost 7 years now :) The same thing with soda.. I just stopped one day to see how many days I could go without a diet soda (I HAD to have one everyday) and well, I just kept going, lol! I think it's been about 5 years for soda now. Now it's usually just water and coffee. :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Did MFP really change your curse word to "kitten"?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    j6ueyabyhfbe.png
    Yesterday was a challenge for me, too.
  • LanceALars65
    LanceALars65 Posts: 16 Member
    Did MFP really change your curse word to "kitten"?

Ha! It does seem that MFP doesn't allow cursing. That's probably good as I tend to 'spice up' my sentences.
    Congrats on 7 years! Impressive. May I ask what made you stop?
  • cgrout78
    I hope so! I've almost made through the first week, and I'm feeling pretty good. I have had less allergies so I think that might have something to do with wine/beer. The other day was the worst because I was so much more stressed than usual.( I am going to take a day off from watching the news, today!!!!) I can tell a big difference in my being able to relax in the evening, and have too much energy. And craving sweets at night..🍰🍩🍬

yes...sweets!!! All I want at night is chocolate!!!! But maybe it's PMS, I should check that too
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Good luck this weekend everyone! I know weekends are really hard for me. Always look forward to that glass of wine on Friday. I have to be strong and get through it. I keep telling myself I can do anything for one month! Best to all of you. Stay strong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I hope so! I've almost made through the first week, and I'm feeling pretty good. I have had less allergies so I think that might have something to do with wine/beer. The other day was the worst because I was so much more stressed than usual.( I am going to take a day off from watching the news, today!!!!) I can tell a big difference in my being able to relax in the evening, and have too much energy. And craving sweets at night..🍰🍩🍬

yes...sweets!!! All I want at night is chocolate!!!! But maybe it's PMS, I should check that too

As someone who has had his struggles with alcohol for years, I can tell you that cravings for sugar are pretty normal when you quit or substantially decrease consumption...one of the reasons they always have cookies and whatnot at AA meetings.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm cutting back, at least. And I didn't start jan1...but you have to start somewhere right? I'm having other health issues that may be exacerbated by alcohol and caffeine, so I'm trying to cut back on alcohol AND coffee. I'm limited to 1 lg coffee(3tbs of 1/3 decaff) and then a chai tea bag. In the evening, a spice herbal tea instead of wine. Unfortunately, I'm also cutting back on chocolate and carbonation as well. Wish me luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend everyone! I know weekends are really hard for me. Always look forward to that glass of wine on Friday. I have to be strong and get through it. I keep telling myself I can do anything for one month! Best to all of you. Stay strong.

Me too! I'm hoping to not crave too much tonight!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm cutting back, at least. And I didn't start jan1...but you have to start somewhere right? I'm having other health issues that may be exacerbated by alcohol and caffeine, so I'm trying to cut back on alcohol AND coffee. I'm limited to 1 lg coffee(3tbs of 1/3 decaff) and then a chai tea bag. In the evening, a spice herbal tea instead of wine. Unfortunately, I'm also cutting back on chocolate and carbonation as well. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm also going for drier January, rather than dry. I started late, but I figured cutting back and consuming less is still an improvement, even if I don't strictly do it for a full month.
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I'm on the headache part of withdrawls right now...ughhh. I started on Sunday so 4 days dry, today is day 5...so by tomorrow i'll actually feel the healthy part of this? Right????

I gave up alcohol at the end of June. I had headaches on and off for the first two weeks. Hopefully yours do not last as long. I have to say, though, that a life without alcohol (or at least with limited) is really worth it. I feel so much better these days.

My favorite sub is fruity herbal teas. Some day I drink them in an insulated wine glass, other just in my mugs. They also help with sweet cravings. Stash is my favorite brand.
  • cgrout78
    My workweek was so stressful, I threw a bottle of wine in the fridge thinking "screw it" before I went to the gym. Got home from the gym, made dinner, ate, then started on a puzzle. Realized I still had the wine chilling, but didn't drink it. Now I just have to get through today and tomorrow. I'm so used to netflix and wine on Saturday nights...
  • jaelia
    jaelia Posts: 9 Member
    I have to because the doctors suspect I have a stomach ulcer. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. Going off the pepsi max was way harder 😂.