60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Just bumping this thread and trying to keep it active.
    . . .
    What are you all up to?

I'm still on MFP (and one of many on this year's official "Welcoming Committee", a group of excellent people into which I snuck, through unknown means and undeserved luck).

Other than that, I'm self-isolating in the midst of Michigan winter, not getting out much except to grocery-shop every few weeks. Every year (for quite a few years now), I flounder around a bit after the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, trying to figure out what I feel like doing for workouts, once I'm pretty well sick of the rowing machine. Usually, I'd be back at the Y for spin class, but I'm not going back to any gym anytime soon. (I caught a respiratory bug in Spring - not Covid! - that I'm pretty sure I got from the gal on the next bike over.

I'm nope-ing out of a retry.) I'm not too stressed about it, because every year (for that same many years), I eventually settle into some OK workout routine. *Not* working out eventually makes me feel stiff, moody, tense, cross . . . can't sustain that. I'll start doing something. I'm machine rowing a little, just not routinely.

Doing some Zoom meet-up stuff (Including on the holidays), meeting briefly with friends outdoors (including a 5-mile trail walk on a beautiful snowy day with my (former?) massage therapist), long phone convos, etc.

It's quiet. Very, very quiet. 😉 But I'm contented.
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    I'm 68 and have been on MFP for a number of years with a year or so stop in between. I stopped because I had lost and made my goal weight and thought I had it "under control". Fast forward a year, and I had gained that 40 pounds back. I started up again a little over a year ago and have lost about half of it. I realize that if you don't keep a diary and monitor things they can get out of control fairly quickly. I have COPD and that makes carrying an extra 40 pounds around difficult. I would love to help each other.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Good to see posts here. Welcome to any new folks and hope all are doing well this year. I'm doing fine and glad to have given myself some of my favorite tastes during the holiday season. This caused a small gain, which is on the down curve again and I feel the success of not having a giant gain was the result of tracking everything and continuing my daily walking. Still isolated, only going out to walk or for curb-side grocery pickup. Hope the vaccine is available soon.
    Stay safe and enjoy each day, find something new you enjoy and keep busy.

Friend hugs <3
  • sadiemom14
    sadiemom14 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I am getting back on track after throwing healthy eating aside in March 2020. In the past I have joined WW. Since I also had a Fitness Pal account, wanted to go premium and give the macros a try. With WW, I wasn't always eating healthy, just points. Hope to connect with others working the macro plan. So far, I like it and am starting to feel like I have more energy. I am a 64 years old. My husband and I live full-time in our Motorhome. He is a nurse and we travel every 3 months to a new location for work. Except, with Covid, we will be here for 6 months.
  • myhre46
    myhre46 Posts: 7 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    Good to see posts here. Welcome to any new folks and hope all are doing well this year. I'm doing fine and glad to have given myself some of my favorite tastes during the holiday season. This caused a small gain, which is on the down curve again and I feel the success of not having a giant gain was the result of tracking everything and continuing my daily walking. Still isolated, only going out to walk or for curb-side grocery pickup. Hope the vaccine is available soon.
    Stay safe and enjoy each day, find something new you enjoy and keep busy.

Friend hugs <3

• 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2021
    @j29t I am thrilled that I only put on a couple of pounds as well, and I am nearly back to where I was pre Christmas. I often gain at least 6 or 7 pounds over the holidays and it never ends up coming off. I wasn't going to deny myself treats, but I didn't go wild either. (Of course it helps that none of the typical events happened.) I am motivated and making progress. This will take as long as it takes.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    How is everyone doing? Is everyone healthy? I hadn't been exercising regularly since fall and now that I am back at it, I can really tell a difference, breathing is so much easier & clearer. I lost my air pump to my exercise ball and getting a new ball with pump was easier to find in the store than finding a pump by itself.
    Well I just hope you all are doing ok and hope to hear from you soon. Not the author myself, but do enjoy reading everyone else's posts & viewing your pictures...even the cats!
  • AnnPT77
    All well in my neck of the woods.

A little desultory about workouts, but doing a little machine rowing, outdoor cold-weather walking: In the past week, 2 walks of around 4mi each, 4 rows totalling a bit over 18km.

I think the dust has mostly settled from indulgent eating off and on from mid-November birthday through holidays. I'm maybe a pound up, but still in a healthy range, so that's fine. Other than that period, I've been eating at the tiniest of deficits for months, to lose a few vanity pounds slowly, so I'm back to that routine.

I'm on the county health department waiting list to get the Covid vax, as part of 65+ age group in phase 1B, but no appointment yet. Still pretty much only going out for necessary medical stuff, grocery trip around every 3 weeks, usually. Socializing is Zoom, phone, online.

External world is far from ideal, but I'm grateful for what's here: Food, clothing, warmth & shelter, health.

Hope everyone else is healthy and contented.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Doing great here! On the countdown to retirement. 10 days to go! Woohoo, cannot wait to have my days and nights free to do as I please! Keep up the great work everyone!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I live in a town with a huge senior population so someone got the "great" idea to have a drive through vaccination clinic over five days. On the first day, the line up was so long that people were being turned away by the police at 8 AM. On the second day, the line was full by 5 AM. We are going to try to get in line on the next day (Tuesday) but I don't have very high expectations.

<3 Barbie
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    @trekkie123, Congrats on the retirement!
  • AnnPT77
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Doing great here! On the countdown to retirement. 10 days to go! Woohoo, cannot wait to have my days and nights free to do as I please! Keep up the great work everyone!

Congratulations! Retirement is excellent, if you ask me. I have to say, though, it took a little adjustment for me, though this may not be true for all.

I had a very fast-paced job, and found that my silly brain had gotten sort of used to changing topics many times a day. At first once retired, I'd get going on some project, and have an impulse to stop that and do something else, then switch gears again . . . multiple times through the day. Not super productive! 😆 It took a while to settle down into a more retirement-appropriate routine for that reason, as well as simply taking time to figure out how I wanted to structure my new and more free-form schedule.

So, I hope your adjustment will be instant and delightful, but if you find some things a little strange at first, be ready to extend yourself the patience to figure it out. You will! I have some friends who I think freaked out too fast, and went back to work really quickly . . . missing out on the good stuff once a new routine settles into place.

Best wishes!
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Good morning! I will hit the milestone of 70 later this year! Every day above ground is a great day😅. I am working on loosing 14lbs. I have been using Walk Away The Pounds since the beginning of the year and for the first time I am participating in a "dry January" as well as keeping to my goals in MFP. Do far have lost 3lbs. Not looking for an instant weight loss ....slow and steady is the way for me. Would love to be part of this group, and some one on ones if anyone wants to to this...Have a great day everyone! PS....In case you were wondering, I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland🦀🦀🦀😊

Hi there! I'm on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland also (Kent Island).
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi Trekkie, hope you enjoy your retirement. I love having time be mine, to do whatever I want. My last job was slower paced & then I broke my leg right before I retired. Since I was immobilized from hip to ankle & no weight bearing for 4 months, it really gave me time to adjust to doing nothing, lol. It’s been almost 11 years & I am still loving it.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Well, I haven’t been loving all the restrictions of the last year, lol. Normally we would have gone to OK March & Oct for gkids birthdays, and probably at least one other time, too, and again for Christmas, but didn’t do any of that. One saving thing was the derecho that Iowa had. It gave us lots of time to go to the farm to clean up trees. (Think we made about 20 trips out there & easy to social distance. Just dh & I & the trees, lol)
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm in.