January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    Thanks @hamsterwheel6 @Scott6255 @Avidkeo @Tramboman @martaindale @eleanorhawkins and @thisvickyruns

Suunto it is ;) Currently I have a yearning for a triathlon and whilst I may never do it if I don't buy a watch for the task I will only regret it. I didn't realise there were soooo many watches. Reported there is a new Forerunner 955 out in April and the 945 should be cheaper than than the 745 after that launch so I might hang on until then. Should I consider second hand?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @TheMrWobbly I haven't done it, but I considered buying a "renewed" Garmin through Amazon, which is what they call their refurbished models. I've heard good things but no firsthand experience. I ended up getting a new 645 with music when they were on sale for Amazon Prime days though. I think if you are going to want the triathlon model you should get that one. The older models do get a lot cheaper so if you can wait that might be a deal.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    01/02/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    01/03/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 3.3
    01/04/21 :::: 3.4 :::: 6.7
    01/05/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 9.8
    01/06/21 :::: 5.9 :::: 15.6
    01/07/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 18.8
    01/08/21 :::: 1.5 :::: 20.3

I took the dog out for a walk on the trails and decided I should just run a little bit while I was at it. It was very slow because the trails were icy and the dog was her usual poky, wandering self. Also, I had planned for a walk in the cold, not a run. so I was way overdressed. But anyway, a short jog done.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Thanks @hamsterwheel6 @Scott6255 @Avidkeo @Tramboman @martaindale @eleanorhawkins and @thisvickyruns

Suunto it is ;) Currently I have a yearning for a triathlon and whilst I may never do it if I don't buy a watch for the task I will only regret it. I didn't realise there were soooo many watches. Reported there is a new Forerunner 955 out in April and the 945 should be cheaper than than the 745 after that launch so I might hang on until then. Should I consider second hand?

I've had 2 refurbished units and both worked fine.
    In fact, I think they come with full warranties as well.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    @TheMrWobbly another vote for Garmin. I've had a 235 and 630 both refurbished from Amazon which worked very well. I upgraded to a new 245 music model a couple of months ago and love it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,640 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all.

Fun day for me. After a frustrating and long night at work last night, I slept like a log. Was up at 7am because I was being race director for our local Park Run! It was great. I was going to do my 7k long run after but by 930 it was very hot, humid and Busy. Also I was tired. So I canned it, went home, and slept for almost 3hrs instead. Definitely needed!

I decided to try the 14 day trial of Hal, and yep already liking it. Its updated my runs based on what my paces actually are, and has moved my long run to tomorrow, and given me a 5k race challenge. I like this.

Of course I waited too long and now the special offer has passed. So if I decide to pay for the full version, it's $95 for a year. Ouch. Its 11 per month, might do that for a couple of months. And hope for another offer.

$95 for a year ain’t that bad - I pay $360 every two months for a real life person but doubt it’s 22 times better. Do it. Stick with it. Reap the rewards of an awesome result in October!!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @eleanorhawkins

this is the half marathon a month challenge that I'm doing that @skippygirlsmom told me about. Not sure if they'll ship internationally.

I signed up for ski school at the same little ski hill I tried out a couple of weeks ago and had my first "lesson" tonight. I went with my running friend who had skied a little but years ago and she was looking for something to do to get out of the house a little more. We were two women in their 40s/50s among a sea of kids, some of whom were literally about knee height to me I swear. We felt really nervous and ridiculous to start but ended up having a great time. They convinced us to try without polls and I was highly skeptical and nervous about it but it was a big game changer for me from the previous attempt. I felt so much more in control not relying on polls I guess. I only fell one time and that was getting off the chair lift, I kind of slid down the hill on my butt.

The lesson itself was pretty minimal and totally not worth it - our instructor was a high school kid who was nice enough but pretty much all he told us was to do the pizza wedge and go for it. I'm not mad about it though, the price for a 6 week school was way cheaper than paying lift fees and rentals and my friend and I have a date on Friday nights for 5 more weeks. Our only regret is that there are no drinks in the lodge after due to COVID. We are hoping that we are both getting vaccinated soon and we can o out and celebrate with drinks after one of our later lessons. And then we're going to have a graduation party at a real mountain. :)

Thanks @katharmonic I'll have a look.
    My family used to go on skiing holidays every winter when I was small, I got dragged along a few times and sent for lessons and they always took our poles away the same way they often teach you to horse ride without stirrups. I remember a teacher told me if I felt out of control to just sit down. I spent all my time on my *kitten* after that!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Hey all.

Fun day for me. After a frustrating and long night at work last night, I slept like a log. Was up at 7am because I was being race director for our local Park Run! It was great. I was going to do my 7k long run after but by 930 it was very hot, humid and Busy. Also I was tired. So I canned it, went home, and slept for almost 3hrs instead. Definitely needed!

I decided to try the 14 day trial of Hal, and yep already liking it. Its updated my runs based on what my paces actually are, and has moved my long run to tomorrow, and given me a 5k race challenge. I like this.

Of course I waited too long and now the special offer has passed. So if I decide to pay for the full version, it's $95 for a year. Ouch. Its 11 per month, might do that for a couple of months. And hope for another offer.

$95 for a year ain’t that bad - I pay $360 every two months for a real life person but doubt it’s 22 times better. Do it. Stick with it. Reap the rewards of an awesome result in October!!

Hmmm good way to look at it. Also, I was going to do the rotorua half, but it's off road. I'm not ready for trails yet. So the $100 id have spent on that can go towards Hal.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @eleanorhawkins

this is the half marathon a month challenge that I'm doing that @skippygirlsmom told me about. Not sure if they'll ship internationally.

I signed up for ski school at the same little ski hill I tried out a couple of weeks ago and had my first "lesson" tonight. I went with my running friend who had skied a little but years ago and she was looking for something to do to get out of the house a little more. We were two women in their 40s/50s among a sea of kids, some of whom were literally about knee height to me I swear. We felt really nervous and ridiculous to start but ended up having a great time. They convinced us to try without polls and I was highly skeptical and nervous about it but it was a big game changer for me from the previous attempt. I felt so much more in control not relying on polls I guess. I only fell one time and that was getting off the chair lift, I kind of slid down the hill on my butt.

The lesson itself was pretty minimal and totally not worth it - our instructor was a high school kid who was nice enough but pretty much all he told us was to do the pizza wedge and go for it. I'm not mad about it though, the price for a 6 week school was way cheaper than paying lift fees and rentals and my friend and I have a date on Friday nights for 5 more weeks. Our only regret is that there are no drinks in the lodge after due to COVID. We are hoping that we are both getting vaccinated soon and we can o out and celebrate with drinks after one of our later lessons. And then we're going to have a graduation party at a real mountain. :)

Thanks @katharmonic I'll have a look.
    My family used to go on skiing holidays every winter when I was small, I got dragged along a few times and sent for lessons and they always took our poles away the same way they often teach you to horse ride without stirrups. I remember a teacher told me if I felt out of control to just sit down. I spent all my time on my *kitten* after that!

So I asked them about international and the reply was 'sure, we already have a few folks from England'. But it said somewhere during the sign up stuff that it's 15 dollars for shipping and they're not sure how they will do it. I'm torn, I would really like to do it, but it's quite a lot of money and I'm concerned that when they realise the costs of international shipping they may realise they need to demand more on top to cover it. So, have to think about it for a day or two.
    On a similar note, I have yet to receive my RTY stuff which was shipped on 12/12 :-(
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited January 2021
    The walking bit was only up the Long Man part which is about 500ft of incline in 1.3 miles of the route @katharmonic though the pace was still good for me 😅. Great HM as well - same again next week?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Morning all.

Well today I'm doing a 5k "race" against myself. Hal wants me to do 5k at race pace. I haven't gone race pace in MONTHS. Originally he wanted me to do 5:10 - 5:40 but I'm not confident on that at all given I hardly ever go 6:00 atm, I usually plod around 6:20 - 6:30 atm. Though I admit I'm not pushing myself on those runs. So I tweeked things a bit, and am now aiming for 5:40 - 6:10. Probably more appropriate at this point in my training I think.

Just gonna finisglhy coffee.

Speaking of @runs_on_espresso hope you doing well. We miss you.

Have a great "race."