If I delete a recipe, will that remove it from a previous food log where I logged that recipe?

donander
donander Posts: 8 Member
I have made quite a few recipes and I often change recipes over time. What I typically do is add the date in the form 2021-01-09 to differentiate them. But it is getting more tedious to find certain recipes when logging foods so I would like to delete the old versions of recipes but my question is, if I delete a recipe that I had entered into a food log in the past (last week or last year, whatever) will that remove it from the food log for that day? I don't like the idea of that happening but if a recipe will stay in the log even if I delete the recipe then I'll go ahead and delete some.
Thanks,
Don

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    No it won't delete previous entries, also you can edit recipes rather than creating new ones, it won't affect past logged versions.

You could test it to be on safe side, create a new recipe, log it and then delete the recipe from the app and see if it's still logged.
  • donander
    donander Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    You can also Copy an existing recipe, if you're doing a variation. I edit most of mine, but if I decide to make chicken curry, for example, I might copy an older beef curry recipe entry as a starting point so that I don't have to re-add all the basic ingredients again. I'd just delete the ingredient entry for beef and add a chicken one.
  • tinkerbellang83
    You can also Copy an existing recipe, if you're doing a variation. I edit most of mine, but if I decide to make chicken curry, for example, I might copy an older beef curry recipe entry as a starting point so that I don't have to re-add all the basic ingredients again. I'd just delete the ingredient entry for beef and add a chicken one.

I didn't realise that - useful to know, a lot of my stews/curries are more or less the same base ingredients
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member

I didn't realise that - useful to know, a lot of my stews/curries are more or less the same base ingredients

It's a relatively new option; I don't know about on the app but it's definitely on the website version. It's very useful. Just be aware it's a bit temperamental with saving. I select Copy, change the name to what I want the new recipe to be called then click Save. Then Edit the new recipe and change my ingredients as needed. If I change the quantity of all the ingredients as appropriate and try to change the name at the same time it doesn't always work very well.
  • tomsingletonGoL
    tomsingletonGoL Posts: 2 Member
    Has anyone noticed that their own recipes are missing? I tried to edit one today and ALL of the recipes I created are no longer available.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Has anyone noticed that their own recipes are missing? I tried to edit one today and ALL of the recipes I created are no longer available.

No mine are all still there, there are often bugs on the app though so maybe check on the web version.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Just a note. I've changed an ingredient in recipes and then logged that recipe from "my favorite foods". What happens then is that it logs the older version because that's what is saved. I'm now careful when I change up a recipe to click on "recipes" and log the new version in from there the first time.
  • tomsingletonGoL
    tomsingletonGoL Posts: 2 Member
    I've found that my problem exists only with the mobile app. Also, there are no FAQs in the help section in the mobile app. Oh well, back to my laptop 🙂. Thanks!