WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Happy Sunday all! Kind of a busy weekend, doing all of the weekend stuff (shopping, cleaning, cooking and planning for next week). I did sit down last night and began watching a docuseries on Netflix; Pretend It's A City. It is basically Fran Lebowitz talking to/being interviewed by Martin Scorsese. I am really enjoying it. Very entertaining to hear Fran talk about life in New York City, from her p.o.v.
    Viv- Sorry about your fall! Hope you are feeling better! Sending healing hugs your way!
    Allie- Happy to hear from you and glad you are up and moving after surgery #2! Sending healing hugs to you as well!
    Pip- Happy birthday to Yogi! Such a handsome guy! Is the photo of the two dogs laying together Rocky and Bullwinkle?
    Heather- Nelly is adorable! I am sure the kids are over the moon about her!
    Machka- Sorry about the dog noise! It is irritating! One of my neighbors had a dog that they would let out at night and the poor thing would bark all night. They ended up finding another home for the dog. Good for me; good for the dog. lol
    I am loving all of the chat your questions are prompting!
    What makes me laugh: Well, I posted that elevator video, Jenny Lawson and Nora Ephron books, my youngest son can always get me going.
    What would I like to learn: I would love to learn how to build things; so I guess carpentry/wood shop class. I would also love to learn how to weld and work with metals and glass. I like to learn new things, but I know some things aren't sympathetic with my personality. I would love to learn to knit or crochet; but I don't think I would do much of it. I like the more powerful feel of power tools. lol
    What could I give an lecture on (with no preparation): Children ages newborn to age 5, especially their brain development. I love reading, learning and watching shows on children's brains; but I am amazed that scientists are JUST discovering things that mothers and caregivers have known about for a long time.
    My first job- Other than babysitting, my first REAL job that I had to apply for and be interviewed for, was when I was 15, I worked for a department store dressing mannequins. This is where I learned the all important skill of tying men's ties. (bow ties, assorted sized neck ties, bolo ties, western ties, ascot, and scarf).
    Barbara- I love the fact that Joe is asking you to join him in different tasks! This is where Tim and I are, relationship-wise, as well. I got a giggle as you wrote of your writing being interrupted. As much as I love Tim and am happy he is including me in things, this morning I wanted to kill him, as he accosted me with talk as soon as I got out of bed. Talk, talk, talk, while I made my first cup of coffee and tried to respond coherently. Then he got mad when I had to make the obligatory trip to the bathroom after my first sip. I pretty much shouted at him "I JUST WOKE UP!! THIS IS HOW MY BODY WORKS!" lol
    (This is what happens when the night owl is still awake when the early bird wakes up)
    Penny- So happy to see your posts! I have a question for you; do you have a larger sense of peace and contentment at one of your residences? Like, does one just feel more "Aaaah, I am home" than the other? Just curious...

Well, today is paperwork day as I prepare for next week with the kids. I better scoot and get some things done. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    z5k0q3go75m6.png

Give me a few books, my camera, a bicycle or cross-country skis (depending on the weather conditions) and good walking shoes ... and I'm set. Bring it on!

M in Oz

But do you have to stay IN the cabin? IF I have to stay inside the whole time, I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy or nearly as pleasant as if I could venture out and do some hiking or skiing.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 942 Member
    edited January 2021

@machka9 wow that is super weird that you can have to pay for some sort of complaint (dog or otherwise). that sounds very mercenary. privatising police force, so to speak. so you have to have money available to have legal rights defended. Not everyone has 65 dollars handy. And probably many many are not wiling to front it for the possible investigation of dog barking...wow!

I actually think this is wise. So many people just have issues with their neighbors and call the police for every little thing. If they have to pay up front for investigation, they won't waste law enforcement time and taxpayer money. Perhaps if they don't have the money, they will learn to have a discussion with the neighbor and work things out.

Tina
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    edited January 2021
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Happy Sunday all! Kind of a busy weekend, doing all of the weekend stuff (shopping, cleaning, cooking and planning for next week). I did sit down last night and began watching a docuseries on Netflix; Pretend It's A City. It is basically Fran Lebowitz talking to/being interviewed by Martin Scorsese. I am really enjoying it. Very entertaining to hear Fran talk about life in New York City, from her p.o.v.
    Viv- Sorry about your fall! Hope you are feeling better! Sending healing hugs your way!
    Allie- Happy to hear from you and glad you are up and moving after surgery #2! Sending healing hugs to you as well!
    Pip- Happy birthday to Yogi! Such a handsome guy! Is the photo of the two dogs laying together Rocky and Bullwinkle?
    Heather- Nelly is adorable! I am sure the kids are over the moon about her!
    Machka- Sorry about the dog noise! It is irritating! One of my neighbors had a dog that they would let out at night and the poor thing would bark all night. They ended up finding another home for the dog. Good for me; good for the dog. lol
    I am loving all of the chat your questions are prompting!
    What makes me laugh: Well, I posted that elevator video, Jenny Lawson and Nora Ephron books, my youngest son can always get me going.
    What would I like to learn: I would love to learn how to build things; so I guess carpentry/wood shop class. I would also love to learn how to weld and work with metals and glass. I like to learn new things, but I know some things aren't sympathetic with my personality. I would love to learn to knit or crochet; but I don't think I would do much of it. I like the more powerful feel of power tools. lol
    What could I give an lecture on (with no preparation): Children ages newborn to age 5, especially their brain development. I love reading, learning and watching shows on children's brains; but I am amazed that scientists are JUST discovering things that mothers and caregivers have known about for a long time.
    My first job- Other than babysitting, my first REAL job that I had to apply for and be interviewed for, was when I was 15, I worked for a department store dressing mannequins. This is where I learned the all important skill of tying men's ties. (bow ties, assorted sized neck ties, bolo ties, western ties, ascot, and scarf).
    Barbara- I love the fact that Joe is asking you to join him in different tasks! This is where Tim and I are, relationship-wise, as well. I got a giggle as you wrote of your writing being interrupted. As much as I love Tim and am happy he is including me in things, this morning I wanted to kill him, as he accosted me with talk as soon as I got out of bed. Talk, talk, talk, while I made my first cup of coffee and tried to respond coherently. Then he got mad when I had to make the obligatory trip to the bathroom after my first sip. I pretty much shouted at him "I JUST WOKE UP!! THIS IS HOW MY BODY WORKS!" lol
    (This is what happens when the night owl is still awake when the early bird wakes up)
    Penny- So happy to see your posts! I have a question for you; do you have a larger sense of peace and contentment at one of your residences? Like, does one just feel more "Aaaah, I am home" than the other? Just curious...

Well, today is paperwork day as I prepare for next week with the kids. I better scoot and get some things done. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Yup, that was rocky n bullwinkle. Winkle is the darker one . This was before yogi was part of the clan, even before we got floyd
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited January 2021
    Lisa - You obviously have good medical reasons for taking prescribed supplements. Your case is exceptional. Most people with perfectly good diets are taking them because of the advertising. I have watched many programmes on health and not one recommends supplements for the average person, apart from Vit D. The body is perfectly capable of getting everything it needs from a balanced diet. That diet does include vegetables and fruits though. Our gut microbiome is dependent on them for the fibre the microbes need. It’s not just about vitamins. As you know only too well, we can't be healthy without a healthy gut. It is essential to our immune system and our mental health. And weight control.
    I am currently eating around 7 portions of fruit and veg a day. Nearly always wholegrain bread. Yoghurt.

Tonight is sea bass with a big helping of mashed rutabaga with carrot. Broccoli. Mushroom sauce. Dessert is stewed plums with yoghurt. Then I will have a small portion of cheddar cheese. :D One toffee. A F wine.

Do you take a fibre supplement? How are you managing to restore a healthy microbiome after your awful recent episode?

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather, I knew you'd understand where I was coming from... and the short answer is, "I'm not yet managing a healthy microbiome." I'm closer than I've been in almost two years, but I'm having to introduce one fiber source at a time, see how I do, and go from there. Fiber supplements are like throwing a chainsaw into my gut, from start to finish, but foods with fiber are less insanely uncomfortable. For instance, I ate wholegrain bread Monday last week without pain, which is promising, but I ate bran flakes on Thursday and it all went pear-shaped again--not as bad as a supplement, but not good.

Baby steps... *sigh* I am not a patient person.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Nelly went out for some air today, but she isn't allowed down on the ground until her vaccinations take full effect. She has been spayed. She seems to have a very calm temperament. We Zoomed them today and met her. Everyone was on very good form, especially Edie.
    They had just got back from the beach.

r1f7de2guijw.jpg

Here is Bea with her new friend. :D

4yy1cphvcqmq.jpg

At the moment their main problem is stopping her eating everything that falls onto the floor, including hair clips!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    Good Sunday!

Slow getting started today, but laundry going, sheets changed, calendar board updated, and caught up with y'all!

What was my first job? Not counting babysitting that I started at 10 y/o, my first paycheck job was a hostess/cashier at Bob's Big Boy. My manager was a former Green Beret and ran a tight ship. The perfectionist/people pleaser that I am I quickly became the youngest front house manager trainee that Marriott had. I was 18. He taught me many things that have helped me in customer based employment for all these years.
    After spending 5 years in the Philippines, I did family day care for 3 years before getting back into the restaurant business. A short stint with an adult day care, which I loved but had a really BAD director, followed. I have been in the lawnmower industry now since 1998. I generally just love helping people.

So my question is what are your top three most used kitchen appliances?
    Mine are coffee pot (used every morning), followed by Microwave (used several times a day), probably third is the gas range I waited so long for.
    The reason I ask is I am missing my microwave!!!!! I really am lost without it. It acted up on Thanksgiving after cooking the sweet potatoes, but after 30 minutes or so, it has been fine. Two days ago I steamed my vegetables for dinner, then went to melt the cheese on our shepherd's pie and it isn't working again! I know I can use the range for reheating, etc, but that means more dishes. First world problem I realize, but outside of coffee pot, it is the one appliance I really don't like to be without.

Went with friends to look at discounted fake trees yesterday as our fake one is loosing "branches" and "needles" almost as much as a real one. What we saw at least steered me away from one brand. I am seriously thinking about Balsam Hill, but that is just a lot of money. Ours is 10 y/o and the lights even still work. Yes, it takes time to fluff, but it was pretty for many years. Now it looks tired. Any suggestions?

I better go get productive on something. Have a blessed day!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where the sun is shining but it is so COLD!
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Good morning everyone. Joined this group for motivation. My commitment is to exercise everyday and limit my carbs to 20. Live in western Canada so weather is mostly mild. We can do this. 😎
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 471 Member
    Judefit1-yes had open heart surgery for mitral valve repair in November, left hospital Dec 11th,ended up back here with pneumonia and an infection they cant figure out.. then they tell me the repair the didnt work and they have to redo it...ugh..will have to say both 2020 and 2021 havent been my favorite..

I am so sorry you're going through that! Scary at any time, but right now even more so! And to have to go through it twice is just so unfair. Sending you my wishes for better days ahead...
  • judefit1
    Getting to know you question ...

What was your first job?

Machka in Oz

Other than the usual babysitting/waitressing/shop jobs, my first full time job was as a nurse's aide in a nursing home. I did that for 3 years in my early 20's. Most rewarding, difficult and life- fulfilling work I ever did, and I was so happy at the time when it was over. Interesting to think about that now as I am in my 60s...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Kylia

I agree that the microwave is a VERY important appliance in the kitchen along with the coffee pot. When one of our stoves bit the dust, we depended on the microwave and an electric frying pan for almost a month.

Carol in GA
  • judefit1
    WHO prescriptions for a healthy and green recovery from COVID-19

https://www.facebook.com/WHO/videos/988002711609126

https://youtu.be/5RSp4Cp_bVI

M in Oz

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing!
    Jude in NJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Kylia - Use my microwave mainly for heating coffee and warming plates.
    I use my electric kettle the most. I bless the day I decided to buy the expensive Dualit. We make cups of tea and coffee around 6 times a day. Plus boil water for pasta, veggies etc.
    Other than that I use the Instant Pot almost every day.
    If I needed a new microwave I would just order one on Amazon. It would need to have a platewarming setting. Can't stand cold plates! :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 942 Member
    Kylia - I use my toaster oven a lot. I like most leftovers reheated in that over the microwave. I use my microwave for heating water, rewarming leftovers like soups and things with sauces. I could do that on the stove as well and I prefer that over the microwave too, if I have/want to spend the time waiting. We use our outdoor grill a lot too and of course the coffee maker. That's really the only appliance we use every day.

Tina
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Heather

Bea looks so happy with her new friend and Nellie is just a darling!

Carol in GA