Calorie Deficit

Sami1601
Sami1601 Posts: 50 Member
How do I know to be in a caloric deficit everyday? I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 which tells me Im burning roughly 2000 to 2,100 calories per day thats my resting calories and doing 10,000 steps a day.

Do I just look at the days before burn and subtract 500 calories from that?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    When you start the setup process in MFP, you can get your calories sorted based on your level of activity. On the desktop, the link is...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

...which will "Update your diet profile." With a 500 calorie deficit, it sounds like you want to lose 1 lb/week and you can indicate that at the link above.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sami1601 wrote: »
    How do I know to be in a caloric deficit everyday? I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 which tells me Im burning roughly 2000 to 2,100 calories per day thats my resting calories and doing 10,000 steps a day.

Do I just look at the days before burn and subtract 500 calories from that?

You have the concept down - eat less than you burn, in total.

Your reading of the values though makes me wonder about what you are reading.
    Garmin splits between Active Calories and Resting Calories - are you saying Resting by itself is 2000?

That's not what you do the math with though if that's the case.
    You do the math with "Total Calories Burned" when Garmin adds those 2 together.

If you could sync Garmin with MFP, that's the figure sent to MFP by Garmin, MFP corrects itself to that figure, and subtracts the 500 for your eating goal.

Don't use anything on Garmin's site about eating goal, they didn't do that correctly with MFP.

zmf3e758rua8.png

MFP details on an Adjustment line added to exercise so your eating goal is correctly changed.

In my case, I was below sedentary big time outside of the exercise - which took awhile actually.
    So I gained on the exercise, lost on the daily activity - and overall got to eat more.

qpuukmyi4y32.png