How to transform a pancake butt - sharing my transformation story

Replies

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Other type of squats that hit glutes:

Curtsy squats
    Sumo squats ( wide stance toes pointed out)
    Side lunge squats

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Other type of squats that hit glutes:

Curtsy squats
    Sumo squats ( wide stance toes pointed out)
    Side lunge squats

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do curtesy squats and they are great for shaping!!
  • serapel
    This one looks pretty decent... https://youtu.be/JLEyaXRMv8o

Thanks. Perfect
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    . Any tips to protect the knees? What is proper form?
    Post a vid of you squatting.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• serapel

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks!! This forum is great!!

I’m training with a certified boxer/trainer during lockdown once a week. We’re working on squats. He says my form is good, but I can only squat 100 lbs unassisted...pathetic. He spots me at 130 lbs. I hope I get stronger squatting soon. My body weight is 128 lbs and 5’8”, so I’m tall and thin. My trainer says I should be able to squat 150 lbs given my hip thrust strength.

I asked him to teach me how to split squat this week; he said he will teach me.
  • serapel
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've always had and still have flat butt due to genetics but what once were weak and flabby glutes, hips and thighs became strong and defined initally by doing (among other things) heavy squats and deadlifts 3x's/wk and more recently by rowing 5-10k/day which is equivalent to doing as many as 700-1500 burpees/day.

So, the only way that I'd achieve a bubble butt is by getting surgical impants or wearing padded shorts but at 70 yrs of age there really is no one that I need to impress in this way.

It just is what it is and I'm ok w/that.

LOL! ;)

Amazing!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I’m training with a certified boxer/trainer during lockdown once a week. We’re working on squats. He says my form is good, but I can only squat 100 lbs unassisted...pathetic. He spots me at 130 lbs. I hope I get stronger squatting soon. My body weight is 128 lbs and 5’8”, so I’m tall and thin. My trainer says I should be able to squat 150 lbs given my hip thrust strength.

OK so you're already able to squat your body weight... So none of this "pathetic" bs. That is an accomplishment and something to be proud of! ❤️

We all start somewhere and you already have a great base. You are quite light for your weight, but as you lift you will hopefully fuel your body for those gains and the weight may increase. (you need muscle growth to support heavy lifts.)

How many reps are you doing at those weights? What are your goals?
  • serapel

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OK so you're already able to squat your body weight... So none of this "pathetic" bs. That is an accomplishment and something to be proud of! ❤️

We all start somewhere and you already have a great base. You are quite light for your weight, but as you lift you will hopefully fuel your body for those gains and the weight may increase. (you need muscle growth to support heavy lifts.)

How many reps are you doing at those weights? What are your goals?

At the end of the sets, my trainer had me do 20 squats at 100 lbs. it seemed light after squatting 130 for 3 sets. The first set of 100 lbs I could only do 10. Funny how the brain works that way.

I don’t mind weighing more as long as it’s muscle.

I’d like to do 3 sets of 10 at 150 lbs unassisted. Do you think that’s a good goal?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    Well firstly... 20reps at 100 is a pretty high volume. Especially after reps at 130. So be proud.

Secondly... It's your goal. It's not up to me to judge how good it is, it's what you want to achieve.

I tend to like low volume because I get bored and lose count. Haha

It's seems like a lot of weight, but with practice, fuel and determination, I don't see why it's not possible, especially if you have a coach there with you.

Well done, strong lady!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Great post, now I'm wondering for my at home workouts how I could improvise with something in order to do hip thrusts....any suggestions welcome :smile:
  • serapel
    Great post, now I'm wondering for my at home workouts how I could improvise with something in order to do hip thrusts....any suggestions welcome :smile:

Do you have someone who can sit on your pelvis? Seriously. Last lockdown, I hip thrusted my 200 lb husband. I’ve also hip thrusted my kids lol They are 100 lbs each.

Heck I’ll hip thrust anything that’s heavy lol

Try this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKjPa4qT_o
  • serapel
    Well firstly... 20reps at 100 is a pretty high volume. Especially after reps at 130. So be proud.

Secondly... It's your goal. It's not up to me to judge how good it is, it's what you want to achieve.

I tend to like low volume because I get bored and lose count. Haha

It's seems like a lot of weight, but with practice, fuel and determination, I don't see why it's not possible, especially if you have a coach there with you.

Well done, strong lady!

Thanks for your support
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    when you say squats don’t do anything for the butt do those include

goblet squat
    stuff leg deadlift
    sumo squats

all with weights?

Hiya!! When my butt was a pancake, it was a dead squishy muscle and squats used to hurt my knees and build my quads. Did zero for my butt.

After a year or so of heavy hip thrusts, I went back to squatting and my glutes were active and strong enough to carry the weight.

My butt just looks normal now (SO UNFAIR!), but I’m super strong.

I’ve been afraid to try Bulgarian split squats bc I’m afraid of hurting my knees. I’m going to give them a try with my 20 lb dumbbells. Any tips to protect the knees? What is proper form?

youtube can explain form i don’t want to give advice bc i’m not that great at it w other and have sore knees too rn but i’m only 19 so hopefully it doesn’t last
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I finally have a butt as well (cute butt at that) LOL

I do everything squats
    DLs
    Hip thrusts
    Lunges

I used to have knee pain all the time but I developed the quads and hamstrings and I have absolutely no knee pain!

developing all area of legs makes a world of difference for everything.
  • serapel
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I finally have a butt as well (cute butt at that) LOL

I do everything squats
    DLs
    Hip thrusts
    Lunges

I used to have knee pain all the time but I developed the quads and hamstrings and I have absolutely no knee pain!

developing all area of legs makes a world of difference for everything.

I had to develop glutes to get rid of knee pain
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I had the dreaded pancake butt all my life. People used to joke around about my butt all the time. I'm now 49 years old and I finally have a bum that is not flat and embarrassing. Here's what I learned:

1. Squats did NOTHING but make my quads bigger and it killed my knees
    2. Despite everything - resistance bands, lunges, my pancake held up steady
    3. I assumed it was genetics and it IS genetics, but you can enhance those poor genetics :)

How I transformed my dead pancake butt muscles:

My bum was dead and the muscles did not know how to work, I began hip thrusts 2 years ago at age 47. I'm now hip thrusting 3 sets of 10 at 240 lbs. I have no more back pain and I'm strong as an ox.

So people, glutes for pancake people are really hard to build. When they say, "just do squats" that's a load of BS. If you have a pancake, it means your glutes are inactive and dead. You gotta wake them up with hip thrust variations first and then begin the squatting. Glutes don't wake up with a squat if they are dead. Hip thrusting wakes those babies up. )

My gosh I related to so much of this! I’m only 23 but years of intense exercise with no glute activation had resulted in very strong legs with lower back pain and no butt. No amount of squatting helped!

Biggest thing I’ve learned besides the importance of glute activation, is that if I lift too heavy, my quads and hamstrings take over rather than my glutes (and squats are the worst for this for me!). My legs are capable of quite a lot but for my poor glutes it’s like starting from square 1 with activation and building strength with real focus on keeping my glutes engaged

Ps glute bridges and hip thrusts are incredible! I’m with you on that!
  • ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    I had no butt whatsoever until I discovered bulgarian split squats and single leg deadlifts - I perform both of these with a barbell as my dumbbells got too light. My booty gains have been tremendous after just 6 months of adding these in.
  • serapel
    I am now hip thrusting 245 lbs. 300 lb goal for 2021!
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    I had no butt whatsoever until I discovered bulgarian split squats and single leg deadlifts - I perform both of these with a barbell as my dumbbells got too light. My booty gains have been tremendous after just 6 months of adding these in.

These are great exercises. I'm not a fan of hip thrusts, I think they are a good exercise I just hate doing them.