JUST FOR TODAY -- Daily Commitment Thread for 2021

Replies

• HealthyTrent
    HealthyTrent Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hi all! I hope it's okay to join-in? I've been looking for an active thread where folks check in daily and interact. :smile: I'll try to go back and read some of ya'lls posts after work tonight. (Updated to add: Friend requests are welcome! My profile is filled out and my diary is open.)

My name's Trent, I'm 37 from Colorado. I've lived alone with 2 dogs and a cat since my wife died from cancer in 2019. Eating has always been an emotional coping mechanism for me, so needless to say my weight went up in 2019 & 2020. I'd like to change that, and have been tracking my food and activity consistently for 51 days now - I committed 11/23/2020 at 250.4 lbs (I'm 5' 3.5"), and currently weigh 227.2.

My primary motivator for making this lifestyle change is that I intend on undergoing IVF this year to conceive a child (I'm a trans man & can carry a child) - my wife and I were trying to conceive in the 2 years before she died, and we lost the one pregnancy we had at about 20 weeks (also in 2019), which was devastating. I still want to be a parent, and don't feel like I can wait any longer given my age. Most IVF clinics won't proceed with IVF if your BMI is over a certain level, so I'm trying to get my BMI down to a point where it won't be a stressor during the process. I've wanted to lose weight anyways, but this was what really kicked me in the pants to get serious.

2021 Goals:
    Walk or Jog 1000 miles - (at 26.5/1000)
    consistently track my eating and activity (Logged 10/10 days so far)
    Weight from 230.9 12/31/2020 to 190-200 lbs. by 3/31/2021 (currently 227.2)
    undergo IVF (will continue trying to lose weight until I conceive)

JFT Monday 1/11:
    Drink lots of water - goal = 100 oz. (in the form of coffee (1 cup), plain water, or herbal tea)
    Walk/Jog 3 miles on treadmill after work
    Go to bed at 9:30pm, wake up at 6am in the morning
    Log food/activity
    Burn 3100 cal/Eat 1400, deficit 1700

• HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    @HealthyTrent Welcome Trent! It's great to have you! My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for about 3 years now. He isn't in the best health so it's making it hard. Good luck! I know you can lose the weight! I hope the IVF works! It's amazing the things they can do with fertility health these days!

But anyways, welcome!
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member

01/10/2021
    - weigh in ✅
    - Noom articles❌
    - Log food❌
    - mini habits✅
    - go through email✅ This actually relaxed me and helped me to come down from some pretty intense anxiety I was dealing with.
    - write AT LEAST 2k words❌ 1300. But I was lucky to get even that much
    - cook dinner ❌Just heated up some french fries
    - Finish the laundryHAHAHA no

I got very little done last night. I had an aggravating conversation with my BFF about her health insurance. Which spurred some pretty intense anxiety. I ended up going into the bedroom and cleaning out my email. It's a bit of an arduous process bc I follow a whole bunch of blogs so I get like 25 emails a day. And that's just in my primary folder, not my promotions or social. Lol. But it's also pretty cathartic. People do say that decluttering can help relax them.

Anyway, it's already 2pm and I need to get a bunch of stuff done. So onto some goals!

01/11/21
    - sleep in
    - weigh in
    - Noom articles
    - mini habits
    - Walmart
    - laundry
    - dishwasher
    - 2k words
    - go through courses
    - cook dinner
    - post goals
    - log all my food
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Just for today I will accept what is, change what I can embrace and accept what I can't.. As always KISS😘
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I've been having a really hard time sleeping lately. I feel like I want to go to sleep between 6-7PM...I push through, then at 10 or 11 when I want to go to sleep--nope, nothing! The only thing I can think of is that I need to get some natural light to reset my body clock. If anybody else has ideas, send them my way!

MONDAY:
    1. Eat breakfast
    2. Walk outside at lunch for natural light
    3. No caffeine after 2PM
    4. Do 2 mini-workouts
    5. Have a big salad and start counting freggies again
    6. at least 8C liquids
    7. At least 8000 steps
    8. 6 hours sleep
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I've been having a really hard time sleeping lately. I feel like I want to go to sleep between 6-7PM...I push through, then at 10 or 11 when I want to go to sleep--nope, nothing! The only thing I can think of is that I need to get some natural light to reset my body clock. If anybody else has ideas, send them my way!

MONDAY:
    1. Eat breakfast
    2. Walk outside at lunch for natural light
    3. No caffeine after 2PM
    4. Do 2 mini-workouts
    5. Have a big salad and start counting freggies again
    6. at least 8C liquids
    7. At least 8000 steps
    8. 6 hours sleep

Sorry to hear about your sleep, it's always hard on me when I don't get enough. I have a light (lamp) that's supposed to help with SAD and loss of vitamin D. I don't know the brand name, but I'll check when I'm home. Living in WI our daylight hours are down to 8 hours 50 minutes by winter solstice (7:26 a.m. sunrise and 4:16 p.m. sunset). I don't use the lamp on a regular basis, but it seems to help me when I do. It might be worth a try.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    Well Saskia loved all her presents, we went and got her a couple of toys, pizzas for tea, with paper unicorn plates and napkins and we did all 3 girls a party bag, balloons and banners lol!
    She got a couple of craft things (aquabeads and rock painting) some make up and hair stuff and bag, toys of us, and a bike and some clothes off the MIL. The bike being the main present obviously.

It went pretty smoothly until Marley threw a fit about some bouncy putty. I don't even know what happened but one of them was lying lol and then Saskia spoke extremely rudely to me so she did get told off for that by me AND her dad cause he overheard it and wasn't impressed either lol.

And she loved the cake! My MIL makes some pretty cool cakes! This year she did her an L.O.L. Surprise cake
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member

I am the same way. I get SO tired around 5:30 - 6, but push threw, and I do get a second wind, and can keep going until around 11:00. Then it hits me ... we go to bed, only to find myself laying in bed until 1:30 or 2, still wide awake.
    I suffer from seasonal depression .. @cschmitz... I am going to look into the lamp you have. I've told my husband I wondered if something like that would actually help.
    I've tried so many things to unwind so I can sleep better ... my doctor just tells me its my age, which I don't want to hear. Most nites, I am lucky if I get to sleep by 2am. Very frustrating... and those are the days when I tend to eat more.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Haven't been particularly well the last few days. Have had a weird combination of symptoms including stomach cramps, headaches (but only when getting up), and general tiredness. This has thrown me off track a little bit; had to take a few hours off work and have not done much exercise in the last few days. But am feeling somewhat better now!

Annoyingly, weight does not seem to have gone down much since the NY. Was kind of hoping that some of it would fall off as water weight but as yet that hasn't materialised. It might be that I'm still eating too much - I feel like I've reined in my eating but I haven't been tracking that faithfully so it may be I'm eating more than I think. I can only keep going, improve my efforts with tracking and then it should go down! (Assuming the tracking identifies a deficit, lol)

Tomorrow's goals:

- Log all food/ drink
    - Be in the green
    - Go for a run or walk
    - Remember to take breaks (meditate/ text friends)

- Conduct mood-boosting wind-down activity
    - Support boyfriend with cooking/ washing up
    - Talk to boyfriend in French
    - Quality time with boyfriend
    - Post goals for Wed
    - Lights out by 11
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    edited January 2021
    Don't know if I set goals last nite. .. I always think I did, but then can't find them!
    SO for rest of today, Monday, 1/11
    1. log all food
    2. brush teeth at 9pm .. no more eating
    3. eat nitetime snack in kitchen... I need to stop eating in my office while I work and sew.
    4. go for a walk. Its only 34 degrees out though.. but the sun is shining!

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Yeah, I am in Oregon, so very little light right now and mostly cloud cover or fog during the day. I've had SAD symptoms before, but not for many years. I am taking Vitamin D and certainly don't feel depressed, but I might just be too busy right now to notice. :)

Does anybody have a recommendation for a SAD lamp? I'm going to see what I can find on Amazon.

I did walk about a mile during my lunch break. Only a heavy mist today rather than the usual pouring rain. It was cold too, but tolerable. :) by the time I am done with work it is pitch dark, so my options are kind of limited.
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 919 Member

JFT Monday 11th Jan

Log everything yes
    Stay in the green yes
    Walk 20 minutes
    Admin no, why do I hate doing this so much?!
    housework very little
    Smile and appreciate the day yes

JFT Tuesday 12th Jan

Log everything
    Stay in the green
    Walk
    Admin. Just do it! Pay mother's bills!
    Housework
    Smile and appreciate the day
    Start back exercises

Word for 2021 Strength

Lose 21lbs in 2021

• ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Tuesday 11 Jan

Log 😊
    Stay in the green 👿
    5 fruit and veg 👿
    Water 👿
    Fitbit exercise goals 😊
    Weigh 😊 trend ↔️

Not a good day! My husband was like a bear with a sore head and I let his mood impact on my choices 👿
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Tuesday 12 Jan

Log
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Water
    Fitbit exercise goals
    Weigh 😊 trend ↔️
  • shenna333
    shenna333 Posts: 100 Member

JFT 1/11 MON:

Meet step goal✅
    Log food✅
    Think positive thoughts and take action(no negative self talk)✅

Feeling pretty good about the day :)

JFT 1/12 TUE:

Meet step goal
    Log food
    Think positive thoughts!
    Dust off food scale

Have a good day everyone!

@Snowflake1968 I am sure my glass top scale is not accurate. I think it could be off by as much as 10# 😲 It will tell me if I am losing or gaining though. Put in a new battery, working now, so the deception continues hahahaha. Bought it on sale from Avon, a "Curves" product, I have had it for a little while lol
  • teigansdad
    teigansdad Posts: 393 Member

Monday goals
    Stay green (>400 calorie deficit after exercise)❌
    No beer❌🤬
    No candy✅
    Trainer ride❌
    Well I had a off afternoon... not even sure why. Just decided I was gonna take the day off the trainer, then just hung out w family

Oh well time to hit reset

Tuesday goals

Stay green.. aiming for a 400 calorie deficit
    No beer
    No candy
    Zwift workout
    Pay credit card
    Pull ups
    Push-ups
    Walk dog
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Good day on all fronts with the exception of snacks after dinner. eh

For Monday

-I'm grateful I started back on MFP 01.01.2020. I have a 377 day streak of accurately logging my food, good and bad.
    -1900 calories: 2750 with 1030 with after dinner snacks on the couch.
    -Work out for 80 minutes:83 minutes including a 45 minute, 1.81 mile treadmill walk
    -Eat between 8 and 6: Began at 8 but ran to 630 snacking
    -Eat dinner at the table:Good with dinner but afterwards...
    -Invest 15 minutes in professional development:Podcast on the treadmill, books at night
    -Spend 30 minutes on the house:Little short but kept up with my own dishes and trash
    -Read at night and reduce scrolling news feeds even light hearted diversions:Good before bed but had a hole in the night and went through the news

For Tuesday, it's a new day. Have some work to do to blend out the week

- I'm grateful for my bride on many, many fronts. Today it's that she doesn't judge me but supports me. She doesn't enable but also doesn't make me feel worse when I fall off track.
    - 1700 calories:
    - Work out for 80 minutes:
    - Eat between 8 and 6:
    - Eat only at the table for dinner and afterwards:
    - Invest 15 minutes in professional development:
    - Spend 30 minutes on the house:
    - Read books at night. Keep the news updates for the daytime:
    -

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    JFT Tuesday
    1. 1 set of lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Post class plan right away on screen AND on site.
    2. Pit Crew: Tough Question Tuesday. Mark Es and make recommendations.
    3. Classes: NRI Unit 1. Set up documents in MLA format. Answer survey. Conference about book choices.
    4. Planning: Grade classwork. Enter book choice grades. Stretch.
    5. Lunch: Egg Salad. Buy Hood Feminism and New Jim Crow? Pride & Prejudice notes.
    6. Afternoon: Philosophy of ed; college rec. Post office – stamps.
    7. Evening: S&F 4. Dinner: Soup. Breathe. Set 2 of lifts.
    8. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water! Chop celery and pack lunch. Set out clothes for tomorrow. Set up JFT for tomorrow.
    9. Shower. Review papers by desk. File or trash. Pester S about sending emails for characters.
    10. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Wed book group. MH Monday check-in; Tough Question Tuesday; Whatever Wednesday AMA; Thankful Thursday. Indochino suit fitting - Atlanta or Nashville?

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    Today: 191.0

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to discussion board for comments due Friday. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri. Unit plan for research (Idea for regular: comparing same story on sites with different biases).
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week - Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist call to schedule cleaning – March? ObG schedule for April. Schedule PCP for May.
    7. Theater: Little Princess.
    8. House: Siding. Or perhaps bathroom floor.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.
    11. Family: Book group. Dinners?
    12. Writing: Blog post: Running, Racism and Rum: Learning to Handle Discomfort. Fanfic: Create a scene list for the Batgirl story. Finish the cafe scene for the Titans story. Open Wordpress in Safari.
    13. Lifting: 15 squats, 15 deadlifts, 10 shoulder presses, 15 arm raises, 15 pushups, 30 crunches, 15 side lifts, 15 back kicks, horse stance for 5 breaths.
    14. Other: Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement. Update standards on board. When to change bulletin board?

WFTY: Persistence. Heh. Forgot last night. Still getting into the swing of things.
    Reminder: Last year's WFTY was progress, and I am ... actually, I was going to say content, but it's more than that. I'm proud of myself, and I'm pleased with the progress that I made. Even without the challenges throughout the year, I accomplished things that I should be proud of; and given those challenges, I'm even happier about what I was able to do.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited January 2021
    JFT Monday
    - log food :(
    - Max 3 beers during the game :(
    - 30 min on the bike :(

WFY: Forgiveness

Well hubby and I decided to go out to the local pub to watch the 1st half of the game last night (in OH there is a 10:00pm curfew do to Covid). Anyway, that nixed my ride and I had more than 3 drinks, but I had a lovely time with hubby. Fell asleep the second half of the game. Today is a new day. Moving forward...

So I got a call from my youngest daughter's school counselor telling me that she was very behind in Japanese and in danger of failing the course. Mind you I ask her about this course weekly, and get positive responses. Now to find out she has only submitted 7 out of 20 assignments and has only taken 1 out of 3 quizzes. Not good, and the course deadline is 1/15. That gives her one week to do 4 months of work. Luckily she is a bright kid, but still not good. Because she had been less than honest about her Japanese class, I sat down and looked at all of her grades. Come to find out she has a "D" in math. A "B" I can accept, but a "D"?? I knew she had failed a tests, but I didn't know that she didn't do the corrections on the test for partial credit. The thing is she is really good at math, she is even a year ahead of most of her class mates. I was livid, then I came to the realization that at 15 I was also a smart lazy kid, who did the minimum to get an A. She just let it slip with virtual school she lost track of time. Can't get too upset, but I do need to address it. First the phone is severely limited, only time is 8:00-10:00pm. A schedule is made to complete the Japanese. Math is another beast though. I sent an email to her teacher asking if there is a way to improve her grade this term, but understanding that she screwed up and that comes with consequences. I've known her math teacher for many years. He is a fair guy. I am upset with her, but I should have been more diligent about actually checking her grades instead of simply taking her word for it. Oh, and she really has no excuse for doing poorly in math as I used to teach math at the Community College and her dad is an engineer. We can certainly help her if she would just ask...

She is 15, so she knows grades are important to get into college, but I don't think she really gets it. Getting 2 D's would significantly drop her GPA (which is currently 4.2), and take her out of the running for many scholarships. Enough griping about V's grades. I really think this is a product of virtual school and not having daily contact with teachers. Wish us luck!

JFT Tuesday
    - 7:00 am meeting :( Forgot about it...
    - work by 8:00 :( 8:30
    - Protein shake for breakfast
    - Protein bar & pear for lunch
    - Walk or ride after work
    - Parents' Meeting at 5:30 for Crew

Word for the Year: Forgiveness

Have a stellar day y'all!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,264 Member
    @HealthyTrent - welcome to the group! This is a very inclusive group and I can't wait to hear about your progress. You are a little taller than me, but we both have similar weight loss goals. My profile pic is a goal picture (6 years ago) not a now picture. I'm Nikki, feel free to send a FR.

@Bex953172 - Sounds like Saskia had a fantastic birthday! You did a great job!

@HEGoddard0928 - Glad Matt is feeling better and able to work.

@bookmeister86 - Hope you perk up soon and can get back to doing things you enjoy.

@ZizzyBumble - I hate when other people's moods put me in a funk and affect my goals. Good luck getting back on track today.

@teigansdad - My afternoon got routed as well, I hope you enjoyed the family time. Hopefully we'll both get back on the bike today.