Hilarious Gym Jerk

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2021
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    She had no right to suggest that he take a break, none! He's an adult, knows his limitations and if she was perturbed by his grunting then she could have walked away. For you to laugh in the first place shows an idiot mentality so if the shoe appears to fit, wear it. If she had interrupted me, she'd been lucky if I would have just said "We are all different." She'd have gotten an earful and would have regretted even confronting me to begin with. If you want to publicly embarrass me, I promise you'd regret and be more embarrassed by what I would say to you after you try. As far as I'm concerned, he was kind.

I think she was just concerned since the OP mentioned the guy was making throwing up noises since he was working himself really hard. It might have been out of concern for him.

If she was concerned, she could have alerted staff but it wasn't her "job" to "express concern." Lovely if you believe that, but I don't. I would never interrupt anyone the way she did, never. Concern, no that wasn't concern...that was sheer disrespect.
  • LoveyChar
    socajam wrote: »
    She had no right to suggest that he take a break, none! He's an adult, knows his limitations and if she was perturbed by his grunting then she could have walked away. For you to laugh in the first place shows an idiot mentality so if the shoe appears to fit, wear it. If she had interrupted me, she'd been lucky if I would have just said "We are all different." She'd have gotten an earful and would have regretted even confronting me to begin with. If you want to publicly embarrass me, I promise you'd regret it and be more embarrassed by what I would say to you after you try. As far as I'm concerned, he was kind.

From your comments, are you somehow related to the gym member.
    Just think what a circus you would have created with your confrontation and everyone else laughing at you

I do not know anyone involved. I wouldn't be concerned about anyone laughing at me, I promise you. Laugh all you want.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    A good friend spent his career in law enforcement with the police and family protective services. He also spend many volunteer hours on the county mental health board.

His take was you don't *kitten* with crazy in a situation like this.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    🍿 There are so many interesting thread conversations today. However, I'm truly fascinated by the extreme polarization this one has caused. I can see all sides and POVs...now...but would not have if not for all this back and forth.

• LoveyChar
    socajam wrote: »
    She had no right to suggest that he take a break, none! He's an adult, knows his limitations and if she was perturbed by his grunting then she could have walked away. For you to laugh in the first place shows an idiot mentality so if the shoe appears to fit, wear it. If she had interrupted me, she'd been lucky if I would have just said "We are all different." She'd have gotten an earful and would have regretted even confronting me to begin with. If you want to publicly embarrass me, I promise you'd regret it and be more embarrassed by what I would say to you after you try. As far as I'm concerned, he was kind.

From your comments, are you somehow related to the gym member.
    Just think what a circus you would have created with your confrontation and everyone else laughing at you

I'd also like to elaborate that I can express myself without creating a "circus."
  • LoveyChar
    She had no right to suggest that he take a break, none! He's an adult, knows his limitations and if she was perturbed by his grunting then she could have walked away. For you to laugh in the first place shows an idiot mentality so if the shoe appears to fit, wear it. If she had interrupted me, she'd been lucky if I would have just said "We are all different." She'd have gotten an earful and would have regretted even confronting me to begin with. If you want to publicly embarrass me, I promise you'd regret and be more embarrassed by what I would say to you after you try. As far as I'm concerned, he was kind.

And if you had been one of the innocent bystanders he screamed at? What would your reaction have been to that?

I've simplified for you in a post below.
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2021

I think she was just concerned since the OP mentioned the guy was making throwing up noises since he was working himself really hard. It might have been out of concern for him.

If she was concerned, she could have alerted staff but it wasn't her "job" to "express concern." Lovely if you believe that, but I don't. I would never interrupt anyone the way she did, never. Concern, no that wasn't concern...that was sheer disrespect.

i don't know where you're from but I'm from the south and married to a Canadian and we both express concern for strangers if they seem to be having some sort of issue. its called manners and being a decent person. All he had to do was say ' I'm fine thanks' and no one would have thought much of it.

For your compassion, kindness, and genuine concern, you and your husband deserve a medal.
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2021
    I would be embarrassed by making vomiting noises in public and would immediately run to the bathroom if I felt ill. Plus I haven't owned a gym membership in several years so this particular scenario would not happen to me. However whatever situation I may ever encounter, I would not make a scene. I can express myself verbally without making a spectacle of myself, although, I know not everyone is capable of it.

I definitely would have expressed my thoughts to "concerned" gym member that the compassionate and respectful thing to do in her situation would have been to ever so quietly say it to the gym guy if she was genuinely concerned, and not in front of other people. The fact that she said that in front of others instead of seeking out staff also tells me that she was just as much attention seeking as he was!!! If she was genuinely concerned, she would have quietly asked "are you okay" instead of suggesting that he "take a break." Regardless, gym guy's response to her comment was ridiculous and unnecessary.

I spent five years in college studying human behavior. I work with physically aggressive children and they're not afraid to say anything regarding what they think of you or what they'd like to do to you. Before that, I worked with people who suffered from Alzheimer's Disease and many times they were very physically aggressive and I've heard it all, all the threats, all the names, all the conspiracy theories about how I'm trying to kill them or how I'm a secret agent sent in by spies and whatever else their mind concocted that day because they couldn't remember me from one day to the next.

I could tell a child "please put your backpack up and have a seat" upon arrival to school and the next thing you know I'm being called every derogatory name in the book and dodging a chair that's being thrown across the room at me.

I've been slapped, punched, scratched, bitten, had my hair pulled, had feces, chairs, an iPad and pencils thrown at me. I've had a chipped tooth, black eyes, a swollen face, nasty scratches all over my body, had a patch of my hair pulled out, had a girl break skin on my arm with a bite that penetrated two layers of thick clothing and it curled my toes in a way you probably could not even imagine, so bad that it almost put me down to the ground and I never even saw it coming. I've been called every derogatory name you could think of and I've heard multitudes of threats. I've had many, many people say "I couldn't do what you do..." and I know it to be true. Being sensitive doesn't work, always... To hear "we are all different" would not even phase me, not one single bit.

I have a dear friend who works for the department of corrections and ten of his fifteen years were spent working with death row inmates. He's heard everything unimaginable and received death threats from those who've done it. He's been called every derogatory name under the sun and now works with women prisoners in a nonviolent offender unit but he said they're still often wicked and even nastier than some of the violent prisoners. He's received numerous threats and been called names thousands of times. So if someone said to him "we're all different," he'd probably say "we sure are..."

Unphased and desensitized...

So what makes OP different is that despite claiming to have worked five years in a gym as a CPT, he's never seen anything like this before. So most likely it's that he's having trouble processing the behavior and currently finds it laughable, which is sad, but it's probably also a coping mechanism.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have all sorts of stories, from crazy exercisers doing the weirdest things, to people singing and dancing in the weight room and my favorite, catching a guy drinking liquor while doing bench press.

[

I work out at a small competitive gym. A handful of former Olympic competitors and one or two hopefuls, NCAA ranked lifters and throwers, some pro ball players, a pro wrestler, a many times world powerlifting champion, it’s an interesting mix of patrons.

It would be an unusual day in our gym for someone not to sing or dance.

It’s a very happy family.