Intermittent Fasting

Hi! I’m intermittently fasting right now, what should I know about it?! Any advice, dos and don’t? Please let me know!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    IF is a way to control calorie intake, some like to have bigger meals at meal time. Like me.

Nothing more than that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    You do know there's many different versions of IF?

Which version and why it appeals to you might help people to advise you.
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    Hey, I am doing it as well!

Do break up your protein intake time!
    Don't eat all your protein in one sitting!
    Do at least 2 meals plus snacks!
    Don't do just one giant meal!
    Do give your metabolism some breaks from long term int fasting!
    Don't eat lots of super processed foods!

Listen to The Model Health Show podcast. It's a podcast by a surgical doctor who is super into wellness and fitness. Listen to his episodes on int fasting!

Also, keep us updated on your progress!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    jessienani wrote: »

Listen to The Model Health Show podcast. It's a podcast by a surgical doctor who is super into wellness and fitness. Listen to his episodes on int fasting!

Nothing wrong with having one giant (whatever that means) meal if it works for the individual.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There are various groups with lots of information. Some people find a specific eating window helps to curb calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120735-fasting-diet-intermittent-fasting

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    jessienani wrote: »

Lol no.
  • NowGettingFit
    NowGettingFit Posts: 23 Member
    I do a 5:2 variant. 16 hours fasting then 800-1000 calories max for 1 day eaten in an 8 hour window - twice a week. Try to stay within MFP cals the other 5 days. I find this can help jumpstart weight loss but i try not to get too worried how the calories are made up
  • Pras72
    Pras72 Posts: 10 Member
    Just watchout for low blood sugar levels if u r prone to it. If IF works for you combine with hiit for max results.
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    things that can help suppress hunger when you are in your fast are minty sugar free gum, brushing your teeth with minty toothpaste, black coffee, and sparkling water.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    It is entirely what resonates with you....there is no right or wrong way to IF. I have been doing this for years.. I'm after autophagy. If you want to incorporate this tool, I'd suggest doing a lot of research and see what protocol appeals to you. There is no magic for weight loss....the magic action is calorie deficit. I use IF for other reasons besides weight loss. Wishing you the best!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    sijomial wrote: »
    You do know there's many different versions of IF?

Which version and why it appeals to you might help people to advise you.

Exactly this.

I am currently doing it as it fits my schedule right now and I am enjoying having two bigger meals vs three (which is what I was doing before). I tend to eat lunch (at around 1-2) and then dinner (at around 7-8), depending on the day. No tips beyond those I'd give to people on any schedule other than I'd recommend logging was to make sure your cals are right and nutrition is on point. The hardest thing for me in adjusting from 3 meals to 2 (which wasn't hard, just something I noticed and adjusted) was making sure I didn't cut down on the amount of protein I was eating. I find 2 meals are easier for me when cutting cals, although for maintenance 3 will likely be easier (or if I go back to commuting daily).