Trying to Lose Weight with Hypothyroidism

Not exactly new, but been absent from the site for many years. Weight gain due to hypothyroidism has put me at my highest weight ever and it's taking its toll on my health and self esteem. Anyone else having difficulty losing weight due to Hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's?

Replies

• SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Girrrlll I struggled with this, lost weight on low carb then left MFP and gained it all back and even more! So here I am again.. I see all the symptoms again of Hypo and I am super struggling with keeping things low carb again... i had so much willpower before and it seems I dont have that now...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited January 2021
    There's a great post here on MFP about weight loss and hypothyroidism. It was written by an MFP user who is a researcher in the field, who is also hypothyroid himself, and who lost weight with MFP. Direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I'm pretty severely hypothyroid (but treated), lost 50+ pounds here back in 2015 at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight since, now age 65.

Best wishes for much success!
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Girrrlll I struggled with this, lost weight on low carb then left MFP and gained it all back and even more! So here I am again.. I see all the symptoms again of Hypo and I am super struggling with keeping things low carb again... i had so much willpower before and it seems I dont have that now...

Feel free to add me as a friend. Maybe we can keep each other motivated! Thanks for the reply!
  • summerhaze71
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's a great post here on MFP about weight loss and hypothyroidism. It was written by an MFP user who is a researcher in the field, who is also hypothyroid himself, and who lost weight with MFP. Direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I'm pretty severely hypothyroid (but treated), lost 50+ pounds here back in 2015 at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight since, now age 65.

Best wishes for much success!

Congratulations on your weight loss and success! I appreciate the link. Will definitely read through the post! Thanks!
  • tgaudet123
    tgaudet123 Posts: 6 Member
    I've been struggling for a few years now with Hashimoto's, I am also pre menopausal (sp) or going thru so who's to know which is causing what?! Weight and fatigue are my biggest struggles. I have been trying to research and it's confusing what I should or shouldn't eat. I try to eat as little dairy as possible as that was my first trigger in finding out something "different" was going on with me. Now I think it's time to try and eat as much gluten free as I can to see if it makes a difference. Any one know of some really good resourses as where to get started eating right with Hashimoto's.
  • michaelpodonnell
    michaelpodonnell Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2021
  • summerhaze71
    tgaudet123 wrote: »
    I've been struggling for a few years now with Hashimoto's, I am also pre menopausal (sp) or going thru so who's to know which is causing what?! Weight and fatigue are my biggest struggles. I have been trying to research and it's confusing what I should or shouldn't eat. I try to eat as little dairy as possible as that was my first trigger in finding out something "different" was going on with me. Now I think it's time to try and eat as much gluten free as I can to see if it makes a difference. Any one know of some really good resourses as where to get started eating right with Hashimoto's.

Look up the AIP diet. It's an elimination diet to help you find what causes inflammation in your body. With Hashimoto's it's important to eat low inflammation foods. Hope that helps.