How to register drinks?

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new here and make my first experriences.
I wonder, how to register drinks in MFP.
Water is fine, but how about
Coke, coffee (with milk and sugar), beer, a glas of wine or a whiskey?
If I want to have a reasonable picture I should add all this as well.
How and where can I add this?

I understood that I can create my own categories and name them as I want.
But if I drink a coke or a coffee (especially an Americano) I add at the same time a certain amount of liquid to the balance. I cannot imagine that I have to create a drink for the nutrition and then add by hand an amount of water?

Who can help me?

Joe

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Just log it as a food item. I've never logged water nor any diet drinks, only those that have calories.

If you have a beer, search for the beer brand, log the item.

If you have a coke and it's not diet/no sugar version search for it, log it.

If you have a coffee, search for the coffee brand add the coffee, search for the kind of milk you use, add it, search for sugar, add it.

I just add it to whatever meal I had it with or my snacks.
  • jowe1204
    jowe1204 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2021
    Thanks a lot, but if I drink 4 bottles of beer, does it count the liquid then or should I drink another 2 liters of water to reach my targets? And how about a pot of tea?

I am really thrilled about MFP, but I don’t understand that
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2021
    MFP doesn't automatically count all beverages toward your hydration goal, no; that's a separate thing from your calorie intake. I wouldn't count non-water drinks as hydration, either - especially alcoholic or caffeinated drinks, since both of those are diuretics.

If you just can't stand to drink plain water for whatever reason, zhuzh it up with some fruit - a squeeze of lemon juice or some muddled cucumber and mint adds negligible calories even if you eat the cucumber slices.

Edit to clarify: You should be logging beverages that have calories as part of your meals, if you're drinking things that aren't water with your food. There's calories in beer, milk, soda, even coffee (it's only like 5 cal for a cup of black coffee no sugar, but if you *do* add cream or sugar, those obviously have calories, too)!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    jowe1204 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, but if I drink 4 bottles of beer, does it count the liquid then or should I drink another 2 liters of water to reach my targets? And how about a pot of tea?

I am really thrilled about MFP, but I don’t understand that

There's no specific amount of water that's required. Include fluids (water, other beverages, soups' or fruits' liquid component, whatever) in your day, sufficient to keep your urine a pale straw color (not dark or brown).

The more recent research suggests that beverages like coffee or tea are hydrating (i.e., any increase in urinary frequency from drinking them, in a person with a normal, healthy system, doesn't wipe out the hydration benefits of that liquid).

Alcoholic beverages' H2O content would also be hydrating. (Think about it: If scotch and soda isn't hydrating to the extent of the soda, but soda alone is . . . ? Would drinking the scotch neat, then having the water 10 minutes later magically make the water hydrating again . . . ?) That said, when I drink alcoholic beverages, I like to drink a bit more water over the same general time period, as I feel better later (and it helps me not gulp the alcohol, if thirsty).

Really, you can relax about water. Drink when thirsty, watch your average urine color, adjust if necessary. If you have poor thirst signaling (I do) it's fine to set yourself a personal goal/schedule to ensure you drink enough (there are even apps that will remind you, I've been told).

But there's not any specific universally required water goal: There's a big difference in hydration needs between a bricklayer carrying bricks all day in a sunny desert climate, and training for triathlons in spare time, vs. an office worker sitting at a desk all day in a climate-controlled room, and watching TV in spare time. We each need to hydrate according to our own body's needs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    as for logging drinks, I think the default set up has a section called drinks (so long since I set mine up, I cant remember if that was the default or not but I think it was)

at any rate you can change the defaults to be named whatever you like - ie breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks - that is mine.
    But it doesnt matter if you log something in another section anyway.

as for water I dont bother logging how much I drink - it makes no difference to your calorie count and is only for your own information if it is something you want to do.

But of course log drinks with calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if there are no calories, i dont log it (diet sodas, water, etc) I like food too much to drink my calories LOL

coffee creamer, coffee, full calorie sodas, alcohol, there are database entries for all of those, simply find the correct one and log it. my coffee creamer is the only calorie i drink on a regular basis, and its logged before anything else (because its not optional or changeable in my world LOL)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    as for logging drinks, I think the default set up has a section called drinks (so long since I set mine up, I cant remember if that was the default or not but I think it was).

My default was breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks so I think you added your drinks category. But yeah, OP, if you want to be able to see how many calories you're drinking in a day as opposed to eating them, add a Drinks category and log them that way. If you're just concerned about hydration, use the water tracker.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    Ok, I didn’t read the other responses but here’s my TMI take, because I’m reading this into OP’s original question.

For years, I thought drinks of any kind didn’t count because you drink em in and pee em out. Not enough time inside to do any harm. Tit for tat, right? Yeah, I was dumb as a mud puppy, but lots of people believe wierd stuff.

Every drink you drink, counts. Offsetting with water, peeing a lot, ain’t gonna help. It will empty your bladder and aid your bowels, but has no magic calorie burning effect.

The only drinks that don’t count are water, most plain teas, plain coffees, zero calorie soft drinks and the like. Some of my simple flavored teas have 5 calories per cup, so you have to be careful.

I use a serving of fat free half and half (20cal) in each cup of tea. I don’t bother to log the tea, but I do weigh and log the half and half, so you’ll see what appears to be random half and half entries in my diary.

Four or five cups of tea in a day could easily add up to 100 calories for me, more if you’re a full cream drinker, which is fairly significant in most people’s daily allotment.

It’s a great question to ask and I’m glad you did because a lot of people want to ask, but like school, don’t want to raise their hand. If I’d raised mine more, maybe I wouldn’t be a mud puppy in some regards, lol. We just aren’t taught the most basic stuff about caring for our bodies in school. Think how helpful it would have been to. Sat down and told about CICO, that there is no magic supplement or diet fox, and (for current students) “99% of what you see on Instagram and Snapchat is photoshopped”. (Or whatever the current term du jour is.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    PS you’ll find most drinks, including alcohol and soda brands, already in MFP’s database.

I can even find apfel tea. It’s very thorough. Very unusual not to find something and if you don’t you can “add” your own to the database for later use and with the eternal gratefulness of the next user- as long as you enter it accurately.
  • jowe1204
    jowe1204 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks to all of you,

First let me correct my statement a bit (I'm German) When I talk about drinks I meant "beverages" not hard stuff "drinks", or let's call it a mixture of water plus any kind of a flavour and very often tons of calories ;)

But I got a very important message:

Part of you are not really counting the water, because it has no calories. But they log the ingredients separately.
    That's fine and very understandable.

Another part logs both (coffee & water, but not teh water in teh coffee). This makes probably sense that the liquid in a coffee cannot be counted, as the hydration effect from the liquid is counterbalanced from its ingredients (if I got that right)
    Could be also an interpretation.

As I starter I just want to learn about the capability of MFP and understand my body and my daily behaviour
    From this point of view I am not fully satisfied, but very thankful for your support.

What I found out is that I am drinking much less than I should.
    My 6 cups of coffee (as a pure office guy) ar eobviously not sufficient.....
    That's efinitively helpful!

Still happy for all remarks.

Joe
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Water is in a lot of food and beverages we consume. A good test for hydration is the color of urine. Pale yellow shows good hydration. Water is zero calories. Diet pop, black coffee, tea, all have a couple calories, so if you drink a lot of these you may want to count them. I don’t, but, some people may.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Another part logs both (coffee & water, but not teh water in teh coffee). This makes probably sense that the liquid in a coffee cannot be counted, as the hydration effect from the liquid is counterbalanced from its ingredients (if I got that right)
    Could be also an interpretation.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here - I dont log the coffee and water separately - if I have a cup of coffee it is just logged as coffee with milk, 1 cup, 20 calories (almost all the calories from the milk, of course)

Im not worried about hydration effect - I am not dehydrated and normal healthy people with access to fluids do not just get dehydrated in every day life.
    so, since water amount - either in other drinks or by itself - makes no difference to my calorie count, I dont log it.

I do log all drinks, alcoholic or not, which have calories - ie wine, juice, milk, coffee with added ingredients like milk etc