Progress

I have been on the path of the definition of "Progress" for the last 4 months (involved with the app, fitness, dieting, etc.). At the beginning of my journey, progress meant dropping the pounds. When I realized I still mentally viewed myself with ill will and rude intentions, that was the first time "progress" changed for me. Progress then became the improvement of my physical and mental health. Fast forward and I have a strong cardio circuit I follow everyday. The first time I had to stop before I finish my circuit was extremely hard on me - I felt like a failure and everything I did reset. The next day, I got back into it, worked hard, and finished my circuit. Progress then was the improvement of the will to push and motivate myself. I can go on and on. Progress, a great concept. What is your take on the word "progress" and what is your personal example?

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    I agree. I think in long term maintenance it is very important to redefine your goals and progress and try not to focus so much on the scale. That is why so many do "recomp" because they are still working to improve their physical.

My personal example is staying away from the scale successfully and reducing how often the "crazyeateverythinginthehousetonight" monster shows up by increasing my cals. I still weigh every few months but it is no longer a data point which is important to everyday perception of myself,
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    I heard a really great comment about this idea last weekend. Someone mentioned that even though you may have highs and lows from day to day and even moment to moment, progress is steadily, constantly learning. A lot of times I think it's hard to recognize progress in ourselves. That's why it's so good to have a coach/mentor or to keep some kind of journal. For me I think that the best example came in my career progression. At first it was painfully slow and I felt like I would never reach my goals, but with persistence and patience I've reached higher than I ever imagined. I think the same principles apply to fitness or just about any other worthwhile endeavor.