can you undo a bad diet?

slamken1
slamken1 Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2021 in Getting Started
all week i eat in a deficit but on the weekend i eat more “junk foods” although still in a deficit. i am then bloated and fatigued for days and i can’t lose weight. is it because i’m eating unhealthy or is there other reasons?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    How do you determine your deficit? Are you using a food scale to make sure you know how much you’re eating? Do you track accurately on weekends also?

I would start there. You might need to evaluate your activity level selection also if you aren’t moving much once you eat the junk and then are tired for days.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Weight management is about calories...if you're eating in a deficit, it doesn't really matter (you will lose weight...ie fat)...but bloat = water retention, which shows on the scale. It doesn't take much water weight to mask small amounts of fat loss. Also, fatigue will affect the CO side of the equation as you will tend to move less in general being fatigued...even simple things like fidgeting and whatnot that we don't really think about burn more calories than not...and fatigue will affect those types of things.

That said, it is possible to undo progress or slow down progress if your weekends are eating into or eliminating your deficit altogether...which would be easy to do if you're eating a lot of "junk" food and your logging isn't particularly accurate.

All of this...
  • can you undo a bad diet? Yes. CICO have you ever heard of the Twinkie diet? http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Not recommended, but evidence that CICO when at a caloric deficit will result in weight loss.

Now, you real question of ‘if I eat at a deficit for 5 days and then binge on junk food for 2 days every week, will I lose weight?’
    Same issue CICO. If over the course of a week you are at a deficit, then you will lose weight.

Why are you not seeing results? Factors could include:
    - you are not actually eating at an overall deficit
    - you haven’t given it enough time yet
    - Your weekend junk food has too much salt and causing you to retain water

What can you do?
    Drink more water
    Reduce your junk food
    Add vegetables
    Weigh and measure and track your food

You can do it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    slamken1 wrote: »
    all week i eat in a deficit but on the weekend i eat more “junk foods” although still in a deficit. i am then bloated and fatigued for days and i can’t lose weight. is it because i’m eating unhealthy or is there other reasons?

You are exactly what you said. Bloated. Processed junky foods tend to do that when coming off of a clean diet. Just stick to your diet and it'll shed with time.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Try a minor elimination diet.
    Don't eat those processed food for a couple of weeks and see how you feel (usually elimination diet should be 4 weeks of in not wrong, there is a nutritionist here he can help with it).
    It might be excessive salt, some ingredients your body doesn't like, you are actually eating more than you think... Many reasons.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Calorie deficit for weight loss
    Calorie deficit + micro/macro adherence + exercise for overall health

• jacobnevison
    jacobnevison Posts: 1 Member
    If your not loosing weight your not in a deficit.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    If your not loosing weight your not in a deficit.

Agreed

I have done eaten more junk foods on the weekend while maintaining a deficit before. It usually looks something like: Monday is consistently a higher weight, Friday is consisitently my lowest weight in a week, the trend over time if going down.

It is hard to spot the trend over time with a plan like this if you havent been at it for several week.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member

There could be a lot of reasons why you are feeling low energy. That would be a good question for your doctor. It would be good to find out if you are deficient in anything. The common things are Vitamin D and/or Iron.

(I am in no way suggesting you take any supplements)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.

doesn't matter if its kale or oreos.

a bad diet, even if within a deficit, can make you feel like garbage.

i eat out, eat cookies, eat chips, etc ... all on the regular, and still lose weight consistently. But I dont make it a primary part of my diet. I fit it in, where and when i can.