How to remedy lower back pain when walking for leisure?

2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Likely some imbalance in muscle strength and tightness.

Lower tight back could be tight hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors pulling the hips forward.

Could be other reasons too - best to know.

Get some ideas and go in with knowledge, or perhaps figure it out on your own anyway.

Here's a PT showing you some tests to do, and therapy.
    https://youtu.be/mEMYcrccSzw
    Athlean X is a good source!
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    OP: Have you tried a back brace?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    "Ears over shoulders over hips." (Kind of like keeping your shoulder blades in your back pocket.) This was the mantra when our pool was open for our deep water cardio class. It's hard to do in water, and on land, we don't even notice it until we pay attention. I live in a really hilly place. I can tell when I'm asking my back to do the work that my legs should be doing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2021
    Thank you everyone for your answers :smile: I was told to limit my walk to 20-30 minutes. I have multiple herniated discs in the cervical region as well as IT band syndrome. This is just another ailment on top of that. Frustrating to say the least but thank you all for your help. I'll look at everything now especially the videos!

Given these medical conditions, this is an issue better addressed by a physical therapist or other medical professional than an online forum.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Personally I would not used a back brace unless it was one prescribed to me by a medical professional that is familiar with my movement patterns.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited January 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Personally I would not used a back brace unless it was one prescribed to me by a medical professional that is familiar with my movement patterns.

Your choice but I've used a simple compression brace w/o any problem while motorcycle riding and hiking w/o any apparent harm.

It just keeps your posture upright and your core tight and engaged.