Strength or Cardio-Sit ups

Do sit-ups count as strength training or cardio? I ask because there seems to be 2 versions but from what I read online, fitness trainers say crunches and situps are not cardio as they don't work the heart?

Just trying to figure out where to put my 30 situps I did today in 5 minutes.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    🤔

Calisthenic exercise which is ➡️ (body)weight training which is ➡️ strength training.

But does MFP not have a way to log sit-ups in the app or are you using a different tracking method?
  • jofveil
    jofveil Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2021
    qrf55ynyr2g2.png

When I put sit-ups into the cardiovascular, it shows up like this:

0kyheee9hhtg.png

c6jribt5n4ci.png

I don't know what the 'how long' is. Is that the minutes?

All I do for situps is I put my feet under my table and then pull myself up with my arms bent at the elbows. Would that mean they were 'vigorous' sit-ups?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Honestly, the total burn for let's say 3 sets of 20 reps of sit ups MAY be like 40 calories total.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep, I got 14 calories for me. Hardly worth fretting over.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    jofveil wrote: »
    Do sit-ups count as strength training or cardio? I ask because there seems to be 2 versions but from what I read online, fitness trainers say crunches and situps are not cardio as they don't work the heart?

Just trying to figure out where to put my 30 situps I did today in 5 minutes.

It's confusing but all activity gets logged in Cardiovascular - the Strength Training section is just for adding your notes.

How Long is indeed the minutes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    to kshama2001 point - enter a few days of those notes - and see if there is any graph or chart that makes it meaningful to review for progress on MFP.

Like many - you'll find that nothing really lets you review to see progress easily, so you'll use another app to log those notes to make it easy.

I like Fitnotes.
    Tad overkill for situp logging perhaps, but maybe you'll expand to other workouts, but at some future point still desire to look back and see - ahh look, that's when it took 5 min to do 30 situps, just did that in 1 min.

And ya - it's not a workout that will help much to improve the cardiovascular system including the heart. If unfit it'll help to a point, well below what cardio exercise could do - walking/running, biking, elliptical, swimming, Xcountry skiing, stairs, ect.