My "petty" reason I hate corona

12346»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I borrowed "Joy of Cooking: All About Pasta & Noodles" from the library and asked my OH for requests. One was stuffed manicotti. Well, apparently there is a shortage. Couldn't find jumbo pasta shells at the first store either, but did find them at the second. Saw crazy high prices for these on Amazon and Walmart.

This article is from May but apparently some pasta shortages is still a thing. As with Coca Cola, etc., manufacturers are focusing on their top sellers. (We haven't seen caffeine-free regular Coke since last spring, so he is making due with regular.)

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/pasta-shortage-coronavirus-why.html

I can't remember the last time I made or had stuffed shells. These were delish! (I actually morphed the recipe from my big JOC and the one from the box because these were simpler than the one in the library book.)

A lady at work told me she used lasagna noodles. Said it was too hard and too messy to stuff the shells, so she soaked lasagna noodles to soften them while she made the filling, put filling on each and rolled it up. She said it was much easier, and with the sauce covering it, it looked good, I never tried it, but thought it sounded like a good idea.

Thanks! Yes, I believe I've seen recipes for "Lasagna Rollups," which was my backup plan in case none of my stores had tubes or jumbo shells.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I borrowed "Joy of Cooking: All About Pasta & Noodles" from the library and asked my OH for requests. One was stuffed manicotti. Well, apparently there is a shortage. Couldn't find jumbo pasta shells at the first store either, but did find them at the second. Saw crazy high prices for these on Amazon and Walmart.

This article is from May but apparently some pasta shortages is still a thing. As with Coca Cola, etc., manufacturers are focusing on their top sellers. (We haven't seen caffeine-free regular Coke since last spring, so he is making due with regular.)

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/pasta-shortage-coronavirus-why.html

I can't remember the last time I made or had stuffed shells. These were delish! (I actually morphed the recipe from my big JOC and the one from the box because these were simpler than the one in the library book.)

A lady at work told me she used lasagna noodles. Said it was too hard and too messy to stuff the shells, so she soaked lasagna noodles to soften them while she made the filling, put filling on each and rolled it up. She said it was much easier, and with the sauce covering it, it looked good, I never tried it, but thought it sounded like a good idea.

Thanks! Yes, I believe I've seen recipes for "Lasagna Rollups," which was my backup plan in case none of my stores had tubes or jumbo shells.

I do this all the time. It's so much faster than stuffing tubes of pasta, and once it's baked you can't tell the difference. We have lasagna sheets that are soft and no pre-soaking or pre-cooking.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited January 2021
    Very petty reason: At the grocer, I would always put my nose into pre-bagged produce like citrus, potatoes or onions. I can usually smell mildew or rot, even when I can't see it. Now, I just grab and go.