I discovered smoothies. ๐Ÿคฃ

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
I know I'm late to the party but I just bought a smoothie blender. I have been making my own homemade protein shakes for years now but now I'm making my own protein smoothies now. High protein fairlife chocolate milk, peanut powder, and a banana blended up. Tastes fantastic.
What do you guys do smoothie wise just to give me some ideas. Any breakfast smoothies? Actually with yogurt?

Replies

• pjg2015
    pjg2015 Posts: 28 Member
    I love smoothies, but Iโ€™m not a big fan of dairy or even nut milks. This is my smoothie from today- frozen Blueberry, frozen mango, celery, grape tomato, Chia seeds, ground cinnamon with flax seed, squeeze of fresh Lemmon, water, ice - This lasts all morning and I sip it at my desk and by lunch - Iโ€™m still not starving yet. 38b78814jt31.jpeg
    23bwswkk24sw.jpeg
  • OAS5
    Sounds delicious!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I stopped adding dairy or juice to smoothies a long time ago. Water, ice, frozen and fresh fruit and flaxseed does it for me. Occasionally I add collagen or protein powder (this is a great reminder to buy some!) but my secret ingredient is lots and lots of fresh spinach or kale!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Smoothies sometimes pack a lot of calories. Everyone thinks they are all healthy, but depending on what's in it, it's easy to sabotage yourself if you're NOT counting all the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Smoothies sometimes pack a lot of calories. Everyone thinks they are all healthy, but depending on what's in it, it's easy to sabotage yourself if you're NOT counting all the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I was going to say the same thing. Smoothies can pack in a lot of good nutrition...but the can also pack in a lot of calories if you're not paying attention or you think that just because something is highly nutritious, those calories don't matter.

My gym has a smoothie bar and the lowest calorie smoothie they have is around 400 calories...most are in the 600-800 calorie range...all with really good nutritional ingredients. When I was doing a lot of long distance endurance cycling, I made one after long rides that were around 1,000 calories for recovery as it was easy to consume when I wasn't really particularly hungry after a 30+ mile ride...plus I was in maintenance when I was doing all of that.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    qbgum9n9rjp1.jpg

• Angela937
    wqd09u30ht5v.jpg
  • Angela937
    zpgf5q9npxdv.jpg
  • Angela937
    8s4doo222458.jpg
  • OAS5
    I'm using smoothies as my snack after dinner at around 7 PM. And yeah I'm watching very closely what is going in and the calories. Its just for a snack at the end of the night. Thanks guys.
  • pjg2015
    pjg2015 Posts: 28 Member
    My smoothies are usually @300 - 325 calories for 24 ozs and I use it as a tool to get at least two servings each of fruit and vegetables as well as antioxidants and fiber if I combine ingredients correctly as well. Also since this is a meal replacement for me, that calorie allotment works for me. I agree that you can stack up the calories quickly if you are not careful. But I actually plan for it.jn5uveptu8k7.jpeg
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Mine run about 350 calories for breakfast.

There is a recent thread under Food and Nutrition about smoothies with several "recipes".
  • Prep Time: 5min - Cook Time: 0min. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

kfjxve8zvdp2.png
    msxf530yn4s5.png

@chloeguo, @moni94, @Poco_Loco, @carolinak74, @pavanreddym2013, @lizadoliddle, @correen_b, @paulperryman, @yungibear
    Scan with myFitnesspal to easily count the calories. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Tasty as hell but bad for your teeth. Fruit ones anyway.
  • @elmusho1989 I know what you mean! :)
  • Delicious Carrot Smoothie. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

gsv7cbc6i50r.png
    br87aiq4hfab.png

@elmusho1989, @chloeguo, @moni94, @Poco_Loco, @carolinak74, @pavanreddym2013, @lizadoliddle, @correen_b, @paulperryman, @yungibear, @mitch239, @OAS5, @angela937, @WarmDontBurn, @nz_deevaa, @goal06082021, @jessienani, @thelastnightingale, @ChristinaCG78728 I thought you might like this recipe. :p
    Scan with myFitnesspal to easily count the calories. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    I love green smoothies!

A tangy detox one:
    1 green apple
    Half lemon (i peel it and throw everything in to get the fiber content but it can be squeezed)
    Small knob chopped ginger
    Handful of spinach
    2 tsp flax seeds
    Water of vegetable milk of choice (or half and half) - add until desired thickness

A creamy one:
    1/3 large papaya
    1/2 banana
    Coconut milk -add until desired thickness
    1 tsp chia seeds
    Handful of spinach

Vitamin C one:
    1 orange + juice of another orange
    1 lemon
    2 carrots
    Water -add until desired thickness
    Grated ginger optional
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    I thought you might like this recipe. :p

You know what? I've never actually tried carrot juice. Maybe I should?

I found the idea of vegetable juice 'wrong' as a child, but at the moment, carrots are actually one of my favourite foods, especially when blended (carrot soup is amazing and so low calorie).

This may well be one of those things I didn't try as a child simply because I didn't like the idea, but as an adult, I should revisit.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
  • CertifiedPersonalTrainer
    CertifiedPersonalTrainer Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2021
    @thelastnightingale Your welcome. :)