Friendly chats about running

Just made this to get abit of motivation going for people that’s are just beginning to run or people that have just lost all motivation, it’s not nice to see but it happens! So help each other and let’s see how this pans out.
I recently done a 21k run for charity and I finished it in 1hr 43 is that a good time for a 21km? I’ve only ever done two and the one before that I finished in 1hr 49 so it was an improvement

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Motivation in the winter months (assuming you are northern hemisphere) can be a real *kitten*. The shorter days and colder temps make it hard. My suggestion is to run with others. Make dates to run and you will be less likely to skip it.

Also, there's no bad time for running any distance. Never judge a run or race by how fast you did it. Runners will support you no matter your pace. Be proud that you can run 21k. Many (most?) people cannot.

Good luck.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited December 2020
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Motivation in the winter months (assuming you are northern hemisphere) can be a real *kitten*. The shorter days and colder temps make it hard. My suggestion is to run with others. Make dates to run and you will be less likely to skip it.

I agree with that. Commit to running with somebody who doesn't live with you - I find if you live together, it can be easier to talk each other out of going. I've managed to run 3x a week since the start of November with ladies from my village, whereas if I was going with my husband, we'd have probably skipped more times than we'd run.

Having the right gear really helps. For me (another UK-er) that means running-appropriate waterproofs and warmer clothing, stuff you can layer, and lightweight clothing to keep you cool if it's mild. My preference is for waterproof shoes too - I detest getting wet feet.
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    I can only dream about running that distance at the moment, my longest run has been 7km but I'm building slowly, so I say you've done pretty damn good!
  • ems0305
    ems0305 Posts: 12 Member
    Good for you! One of the things that helps me to stay on track is to have a training plan with a predetermined distance / time at the start of the week. (I actually use a 16 week training plan.) Then, I share with friends / family so that I have a level of accountability. I don't want to have to tell anyone I didn't follow through with my plan. If only that worked with my eating plan! haha! One of my most motivating things was when my teenage son laughed when I originally told him I might run a marathon. (He totally thought I wasn't serious, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do something that was so unbelievable!)

I also have to do my workouts first thing. I am just too lazy at the end of the day.
  • dylanholmes99
    dylanholmes99 Posts: 11 Member
    gutzbgon wrote: »
    I can only dream about running that distance at the moment, my longest run has been 7km but I'm building slowly, so I say you've done pretty damn good!

I noticed with running when I started that I found it hard to get past the 3km mark, which is crazy when you think back on it, I always said to myself how are people running 10km that’s crazy I’ll never be able to do it, but running is all in your head and your breathing trust me just focus on your breathing and tell yourself I can do this, set goals aim for the 10km now and you’ll do it trust me pace yourself and breathe correctly and you’ll make it.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    If you’ve recently done a big event that you’ve trained for, it’s not at all uncommon to have a bit of a down spell (sadness, loss of motivation, feeling directionless, etc.) after the event is over - regardless of how the event went (meaning it’s common even if you nailed your goals and had the best race of your life).

Motivation can be a challenge in the cold, dark months-especially after such a lengthy spell with minimal events to train for/look forward to. But sometimes after an event, a little rest and recovery is what is needed to get our groove back.

• xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    I have found the monthly virtual challenges to be really useful for keeping myself motivated. I tend to do Race at Your Pace as the medal changes monthly but the first one that I did was with run through. Run through was definitely more personal, with a lovely hand written card and goody bag that came along with the medal. Definitely worth looking into if you want to help boost your motivation. You can choose the distance you aim for over the month too.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    I'm actually really happy to find this conversation today. I started running with the couch25k app back in June. Moved on to the 10K app after that. And have been running ever since. BUT, I have some very weird anxiety about running where people can see me! We are lucky enough to have a very big backyard with a built in track! That's what I have been using since June. We recently got our first big snowfall of the season and that has decommissioned my track :( So I have been trying to convince myself to run in town. There is a loop where my parents live that is exactly 8 k if you run it five times. My ONLY goal this week is to convince myself to do that on the weekend. I have a feeling that once I do it once I will be okay but man, it is TOUGH to convince myself to do it (as much as I desperately miss running!)

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    I started running last year using the c25k app. I lasted about 4 weeks before I started having issues with my knee. Stopped for a few weeks, tried again same result. Doctor says my knee caps tilt out and it would be an ongoing issue. I focused on building the muscles in my quads (recommendation) and finally been toying with giving it another try again. 🤞🤞🤞🤞
  • dylanholmes99
    I'm actually really happy to find this conversation today. I started running with the couch25k app back in June. Moved on to the 10K app after that. And have been running ever since. BUT, I have some very weird anxiety about running where people can see me! We are lucky enough to have a very big backyard with a built in track! That's what I have been using since June. We recently got our first big snowfall of the season and that has decommissioned my track :( So I have been trying to convince myself to run in town. There is a loop where my parents live that is exactly 8 k if you run it five times. My ONLY goal this week is to convince myself to do that on the weekend. I have a feeling that once I do it once I will be okay but man, it is TOUGH to convince myself to do it (as much as I desperately miss running!)

The hardest part of any run is getting up and doing it, but once you get out and get running you feel fantastic, it’s just a great feeling, then when you finish the run you feel on top of the world!, everyone has their bad days and lazy days but just push yourself to do it and you’ll feel great!
  • dylanholmes99
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    I started running last year using the c25k app. I lasted about 4 weeks before I started having issues with my knee. Stopped for a few weeks, tried again same result. Doctor says my knee caps tilt out and it would be an ongoing issue. I focused on building the muscles in my quads (recommendation) and finally been toying with giving it another try again. 🤞🤞🤞🤞
    ) and finally been toying with giving it another try again. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 [/quote]

Well done! A lot of people would have given up but you decided to keep going! You should be very proud of yourself and I hope you keep it up it will be physically and mentally challenging but you’ll get through it, I’ve had problems with my Achilles recently and it’s not a good feeling but just continue at it and take care of your Injury and work around it and you’ll be fine!

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    Good to see so many keen to get going.

Started C25K in June 2019, ran my first ever half marathon in November that year. Drifted badly in 2020 especially the last few months and looking to get back and get to marathon distance. Really pleased I managed to do 13.1 miles again last weekend though I suffered for it. Here goes, giving it my all for 2021!!! :smiley:
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    I need all the motivation. I love long distance but anything beyond 15 miles and I need a running crew to complain with. I have this block that hits at 10 miles right now.

I’m signed up for a marathon in March but will ha e to downgrade to a half I’m sure...if it’s even live. I’m done with non-live races. I miss crowds and and time chips and bananas and bagels at the end of races. The adrenaline rush is out of this world. God I can’t wait.
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Good to see so many keen to get going.

Started C25K in June 2019, ran my first ever half marathon in November that year. Drifted badly in 2020 especially the last few months and looking to get back and get to marathon distance. Really pleased I managed to do 13.1 miles again last weekend though I suffered for it. Here goes, giving it my all for 2021!!! :smiley:

Congrats on your first first half!!! So exciting!!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I’m really feeling the joy lately. We have serious amounts of snow lately and it’s pretty cool out (-7C for my noon run today) but running in the snow is glorious. I meet quite a few other runners (a lot of people are WFH and taking advantage of lunchtime workouts for daylight) and everyone looks so happy.

I returned to running through C25K in April last year so this is my first winter running for quite a while, and in a colder climate than last time. I decided to focus my target on frequency (runs/week) and as a secondary metric mileage (per month) but leave off any value judgment on speed etc until spring. I did sign up for a 5 week “winter camp” running group that starts next week in the hope of mixing up my workouts and maybe finding some local running buddies.

Shoes with traction are key if you live in icy conditions. I have a pair of Icebugs with studs and they make a world of difference. Apart from that i recently bought thin wool liners to layer under my gloves and I’ve never been so comfy. The right gear makes a difference this time of year!

You might enjoy the monthly running thread over in Challenges for ongoing motivation, it’s very active.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I registered for 6 virtual races this morning, the Run Austin Virtual Series, as they're free to anyone who is registered for the Austin Marathon. If they weren't free, I would never have registered for them. I've never run a virtual race and I've never had interest in doing it, either. I know some people enjoy virtual races. I'm trying to think of ways to make it more fun. For example, there's one named a Taco 10k , so I'm thinking about running it and having a taco bar set up afterwards like a big celebration. Signs being held up by family members, I don't know if they'd be thrilled to do it. Actual races, they have crazy fun at! I cannot in a million years recreate the exhilaration that the spectators and other runners bring, especially to the Marathon. Sadly, the full was postponed until next year.