No exercise

Have any of y'all been able to get on a diet, have little to no exercise, and still lose weight?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Yes
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep. It’s all about the calorie intake.
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    For me personally working out motivates me to make better food choices. I'm more likely to eat healthier so my hard work doesn't go to waste. That's just what works for me but of course you can lose weight without exercise for sure!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    KatyP86 wrote: »
    For me personally working out motivates me to make better food choices. I'm more likely to eat healthier so my hard work doesn't go to waste. That's just what works for me but of course you can lose weight without exercise for sure!

Agree. When you're working your tail off at least in my case I'm going to be conscious of what the food I'm putting in my body is doing.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I hate 'exercise' but I have a couple of activities I like but my engagement with those activities hasn't changed at all. i've had no real trouble losing weight. though i did have to get used to my weight loss pattern which is basically 'maintain, maintain, maintain, drop 2lbs all of the sudden'. Some of it's hormones, some of it just is what it is.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    If you go to the success forum, there is a wheelchair bound woman who lost a substantial amount of weight. Maybe someone could find the thread and share the link.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    You lose weight in the kitchen, you build muscles with exercise!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ashnich019 wrote: »
    Have any of y'all been able to get on a diet, have little to no exercise, and still lose weight?

Yes...it's harder because your calorie targets are going to be lower...but yes. Weight management is a matter of calories (energy) in vs calories (energy out). You burn calories 24/7, most of which is you merely existing and being alive. Regular exercise is very important to overall health and well being, particularly if you're an otherwise sedentary person...but it isn't necessary for weight loss and doesn't default to weight loss...if it did, people who exercise regularly would ultimately wither away and die.
  • zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member
    i have Multiple Sclerosis and have a difficult time exercising. I am very careful and quite rigid with my food choices. I have lost weight though!
    Jen
    SW/CW/GW 234/210/150
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I lost in the beginning without exercise. I started walking about three months in. That was the only exercise I did to lose over 100 pounds. I have gained a few with Covid but managed to maintain over 90 pounds lost. I agree with everyone else weight loss happens in the kitchen. I will however add one regret... I wish I had done some weight lifting to build a little extra muscle. I’m 64 though and honestly I’m lazy. I keep saying I’m going to start.....
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited January 2021
    yes, I lost most of my excess weight (roughly 80lbs of it) just through diet, not really working out at all

I do work out now tho, and it has lots of benefits
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ashnich019 wrote: »

I would never be encouraging of someone to lose weight without exercise unless I knew why they were trying to lose weight without exercise. The benefits of exercise go far beyond calorie burning. If you become active now, your future self will thank you later.

I have a variety of afflictions that make exercise challenging, but I still manage to be active; some days very active. If this is you, I suggest you work with a physical therapist to find activities you can do.

If you lack a gym membership, we can offer suggestions for that. I haven't had one in four years.

If you lack time or money, we can offer suggestions for that.

If you hate exercise, we can help you reframe it and find activities you do like. "Exercise" doesn't need to revolve around banging away on an elliptical like a gerbil. (Apologies to those who do like this sort of thing.) Even when I had a gym membership, I got most of my cardio outdoors.

If it's coronavirus restrictions related, we can offer suggestions for that.
  • penrbrown2711
    penrbrown2711 Posts: 13 Member
    Exercise doesn't have to mean going to a gym, being bored or being uncomfortable.

Exercise can be as simple as going for a walk.

Can you lose weight without exercise? Yes! But being physically active is SO important so I would say move for YOUR health, mental and physical and not for weight loss.

Nutrition = weight loss and exercise = for health.

Just how I see it...

And I'm an obese mom of two who takes them for endless walks because it improves my mental health.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes. Absolutely!
    A lot of people lose weight without additional exercise. Exercise is important for good health, but not necessary for weight loss.

BTW, I lost 100# before I even began to walk more.