What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Fermented cabbage, and kombucha :s

most kombucha is just soda in disguise but the real stuff is good imo!

No way. Soda(diet) is delicious and kombucha tastes NOTHING like it, yuck!!

I mean as far as sugar content haha

I'm not sure that's really true either. I love kombucha, and most bottles are between 50 and 80 calories for the entire bottle. Soda tends to be about 150 calories per serving (and usually there are about 2 svgs on a 20oz bottle) and roughly 2 times the sugar per serving.
    After all, thats one reason why I drink kombucha to begin with..I love the fizziness and don't get the big calorie/sugar hit from drinking a full bottle! Lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Kombucha varies widely on taste and sugar content.
  • lemurcat2

I'm not sure that's really true either. I love kombucha, and most bottles are between 50 and 80 calories for the entire bottle. Soda tends to be about 150 calories per serving (and usually there are about 2 svgs on a 20oz bottle) and roughly 2 times the sugar per serving.
    After all, thats one reason why I drink kombucha to begin with..I love the fizziness and don't get the big calorie/sugar hit from drinking a full bottle! Lol

Some are even lower. There's a lemon one I like about 20 cals. I'd like to make it myself and wouldn't do some super sugary version.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Beyond burgers

Bulletproof coffee

Same^^
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Some are even lower. There's a lemon one I like about 20 cals. I'd like to make it myself and wouldn't do some super sugary version.

I've never tried making it myself, although I had a friend give me a SCOBY a couple of months ago. How has your experience been with it...is it a pretty simple process? I wouldn't really do a super sugary version, either, since I don't ever even drink sweet tea.
    The ones I buy from Fresh Thyme market are about 50 calories each, but never seen one lower than 40. A 20 would be a treat to find, for sure!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I've never tried making it myself, although I had a friend give me a SCOBY a couple of months ago. How has your experience been with it...is it a pretty simple process? I wouldn't really do a super sugary version, either, since I don't ever even drink sweet tea.
    The ones I buy from Fresh Thyme market are about 50 calories each, but never seen one lower than 40. A 20 would be a treat to find, for sure!

Yeah, I hate sweet tea. I haven't done it myself yet, a friend has, and his was tasty, so I've been meaning to get instructions from him.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Bulletproof coffee. Just. no.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Same. I do like coffee with coconut oil though
  • pancakerunner
    senalay788 wrote: »

Same. I do like coffee with coconut oil though

So bulletproof ;)

Bulletproof actually uses ghee
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Tofu
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Tofu

Is tofu still "trendy"?

It's not terrible, honestly, but I don't go out of my way to eat it. Like I won't pick it out of my takeout hot-and-sour soup, but I don't know if I'd bother to include it if I made a batch at home.
  • lemurcat2
    I like tofu if used properly (i.e., with an understanding that the flavor comes from other ingredients). I also do not consider it trendy. Granted, I'm old, but I had it for the first time in the '80s.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Tofu... It looks weird...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Tofu is not "trendy" lol. It has been around for a long time. I was eating it back in college (20 years ago) and it was pretty easy to find in restaurants and stores. That was before it started to give me issues and now soy in general is a no go. I miss tofu. Great protein source and especially good in Asian and Indian meals.
  • pancakerunner
    okay, so yes I have tried... but cereals and cookies marketed as "keto" are dumb and a money grab
  • pancakerunner
    nacho fries
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    okay, so yes I have tried... but cereals and cookies marketed as "keto" are dumb and a money grab

I agree...when I see 'Keto' it's usually the company has a 'pass' to have a high calorie/fat product.

Also, companies that slap on the word 'protein' - as if that makes it 'healthy' now...regardless of all crappy stuff it might contain.
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I agree...when I see 'Keto' it's usually the company has a 'pass' to have a high calorie/fat product.

Also, companies that slap on the word 'protein' - as if that makes it 'healthy' now...regardless of all crappy stuff it might contain.

yep!