Les Mills Fans?

Options
dragon_girl26
dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
edited January 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone else doing their live classes or Les Mills on Demand? I did Bodypump and BodyCombat at the gym, but I've been branching out since I started the on demand subscription. Really enjoying Sh'bam!

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do the body flow regularly and want to do body pump but it is proving rather difficult to buy the weights! I guess everyone has the same idea about working out at home.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I do the body flow regularly and want to do body pump but it is proving rather difficult to buy the weights! I guess everyone has the same idea about working out at home.

Yeah, I've had that issue too. I have some handweights for now, but I'm refusing to spend the money for the Les Mills set!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Just FYI, I think this article presents a pretty balanced view of the pro/cons of Les Mills BodyPump. (I do agree that the whole "light weights for plenty of reps" approach isn't great for building strength, but the article does point out other advantages to their program.)

https://www.stack.com/a/is-bodypump-a-good-workout
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like that article. It articulates the positives that I am looking for as a middle aged woman not really interested in weight lifting. I like the cardio, the sense of building some muscle and the energy / music of it. It’s a fun workout. I do find the Les Mills weights are ridiculously expensive. There are cheaper versions online but everything seems to be back ordered. I recently ordered some weighted workout bars and am patiently waiting to see if they will arrive someday and whether they will be appropriate for this purpose. I think they will!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think is a pretty good article. They state up front that the "science" behind BodyPump is bogus, i.e. doing scores of reps with ultra-light weights isn't an effective
    way to build strength. However, they do acknowledge other benefits of the program.

Personally, I think there are much more time-efficient ways to get better result -- combining a sensible strength regimen with some good cardio routines, for example. (YES, there are good reasons for everyone to build strength, even if they don't want big muscles.) But there are reasons why some are attracted to BodyPump, and that's worth acknowledging.
  • eikalipse
    eikalipse Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

You can use any weights, theu dont have to be smart bar. Many people have bought weights off amazon and use those no problem .
  • TomazDrnovsek
    TomazDrnovsek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started using myfitnesspal and I want to add Bodypump to Workout Routines but I can't find any way to do it. Please help!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just started using myfitnesspal and I want to add Bodypump to Workout Routines but I can't find any way to do it. Please help!

I use "Les Mills BODYPUMP" - it's under Cardiovascular, not Strength
  • TomazDrnovsek
    TomazDrnovsek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »

I use "Les Mills BODYPUMP" - it's under Cardiovascular, not Strength

Where is that? I can't find this in the app.