What book are you reading?

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,299 Member
    Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. This a re-read.

I've occasionally considered Coben but I read the covers and they don't really appeal...but I've seen a couple Netfix versions of his books that were compeling and fascinating. Maybe I should give him a shot?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited January 2021

I've occasionally considered Coben but I read the covers and they don't really appeal...but I've seen a couple Netfix versions of his books that were compeling and fascinating. Maybe I should give him a shot?

I wasn't sure about Coben either at first, but I always wind up enjoying his stand-alone books. Oddly enough, I've never read one of his very popular Myron Bolitar books.

I don't have Netflix, but I saw the French version of "Tell No One" when it was released years ago. What a great film! It's free with Amazon Prime, so I'm planning a re-watch.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    PKM0515 wrote: »

I wasn't sure about Coben either at first, but I always wind up enjoying his stand-alone books. Oddly enough, I've never read one of his very popular Myron Bolitar books.

I don't have Netflix, but I saw the French version of "Tell No One" when it was released years ago. What a great film! It's free with Amazon Prime, so I'm planning a re-watch.

I really enjoy his Myron Bolitar series; they're a good mix of mystery, humor and likeable characters.
    I'll have to check out the free prime video of Tell No One. I've read it but I've read so many of his books I get them kind of mixed up until I read their description. :)
    Another author that has a similar style of writing is Linwood Barclay. I've only read a few of his books(He doesn't have nearly as many as Coben)but what I've read, I liked.
    Another author I've really liked is Lia Gardner, haven't read a bad book yet, always ends with a twist.
  • PKM0515
    edited January 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I really enjoy his Myron Bolitar series; they're a good mix of mystery, humor and likeable characters.
    I'll have to check out the free prime video of Tell No One. I've read it but I've read so many of his books I get them kind of mixed up until I read their description. :)
    Another author that has a similar style of writing is Linwood Barclay. I've only read a few of his books(He doesn't have nearly as many as Coben)but what I've read, I liked.
    Another author I've really liked is Lia Gardner, haven't read a bad book yet, always ends with a twist.

I'll have to try one of the Bolitar books. Definitely post if you watch "Tell No One." I think you'll like it. [I know this is a book thread, but I have to mention one more film that I loved: "I'm Not Scared" ( https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0326977/ ). I remember being on the edge of my seat, literally, in the movie theater.]

I'll have to check out Barclay and Gardner. I've heard of them but don't think I've read any of their works.

• melaniedscott

I like twists but sometimes I find some writers go in with this thought that the HAVE TO HAVE a twist. And it's irritating. Some stories are straight forward and good...some writers undermine themselves. And writers who depend on it...meh. I didn't get the hype on The Woman on thr Train...it was just okay.
  • yasminekassis613
    yasminekassis613 Posts: 268 Member
    Just started “A Man Called Ode”
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Inside out by Demi Moore. I am really into memoirs right now so if anyone has any recommendations, do share :)

oooh I love memoirs. Some of my absolute favorites (even if I wasn't interested in the person beforehand):

Louie Anderson - Hey Mom
    Amy Schumer - The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
    Carly Simon - Boys in the Trees
    Ruth Wariner - the Sound of Gravel (SAD!)
    Lol Tolhurst - Cured
    Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
    Colin Jost - A Very Punchable Face
    Patricia Williams - Rabbit
    Eunsun Kim - A Thousand Miles to Freedom
    Kate Mulgrew - Born With Teeth
    Piper Kerman - Orange is the New Black (quite different from the show, and amazing)
  • melaniedscott

Is that A Man Called Ove? I read that one. I almost didn't read it...the first 10 pages or so were very difficult for me as I lost my sister to suicide 5 1/2 years ago. It was worth it though.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Inside out by Demi Moore. I am really into memoirs right now so if anyone has any recommendations, do share :)

oooh I love memoirs. Some of my absolute favorites (even if I wasn't interested in the person beforehand):

Louie Anderson - Hey Mom
    Amy Schumer - The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
    Carly Simon - Boys in the Trees
    Ruth Wariner - the Sound of Gravel (SAD!)
    Lol Tolhurst - Cured
    Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
    Colin Jost - A Very Punchable Face
    Patricia Williams - Rabbit
    Eunsun Kim - A Thousand Miles to Freedom
    Kate Mulgrew - Born With Teeth
    Piper Kerman - Orange is the New Black (quite different from the show, and amazing)

Ooh thank you! I am saving these.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,291 Member

I have read every book by Lisa Gardner. She is my favorite!!! Can't wait for a new one to come out.
  • tuddy315

I'll have to try one of the Bolitar books. Definitely post if you watch "Tell No One." I think you'll like it. [I know this is a book thread, but I have to mention one more film that I loved: "I'm Not Scared" ( https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0326977/ ). I remember being on the edge of my seat, literally, in the movie theater.]

I'll have to check out Barclay and Gardner. I've heard of them but don't think I've read any of their works.

I would suggest reading Gardner books in order of publication. A lot of her books will give you the background from the previous book. There are also two main series with hers. Detective D.D. Warren or FBI profiler Quincy.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    32oup4flcefu.png
  • jjpptt2
    cofp8j317q47.png
  • jjpptt2
    af6s6ljcqrba.png
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Mr Mercedes, Stephen King
  • tuddy315
    The Road.

This book was a little weird, but I liked it.
  • tuddy315
    I will check it out.
  • PKM0515
    @tuddy315 -- thank you! :)
  • yasminekassis613
    yasminekassis613 Posts: 268 Member

Is that A Man Called Ove? I read that one. I almost didn't read it...the first 10 pages or so were very difficult for me as I lost my sister to suicide 5 1/2 years ago. It was worth it though.

Yes sorry, typo.
    I’m so sorry for your loss, I can’t begin to imagine.

I think I’m only 4 pages in so far, but I’ve heard wonderful things.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Right now it's the novel I am writing ;)