What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    baked potato > mashed

TOTALLY AGREE! I have never even really been a big fan of mashed potatoes. I would take baked or roasted ANYDAY.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    baked potato > mashed

TOTALLY AGREE! I have never even really been a big fan of mashed potatoes. I would take baked or roasted ANYDAY.

I guess not so unpopular...I'm team 'baked' (roasted for sure!)too
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    I cannot stand 'fake' food or diet 'tricks' food. I'd rather fast until I can get food that is actually food (I love basically all food from celery and kale to avocado, scallops, pork (thought I don't eat it for other reasons), doughnuts, kimchi, coffee cheese, you name it. But sugar -free jello and the like can suck it
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    and let's not forget scalloped potatoes... and au gratin
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Purple sweet potatoes > regular sweet potatoes
    Okinawan, Hawaiian sweet potatoes are the BEST
    esato3r3ityv.jpg

Bonita yams >>> potatoes

v3bkfbipp3y0.jpg

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2021
    BBQ sauce is terrible on chicken and other meats.

I really don't care for any type of meat with BBQ sauce on it. (I do love BBQ chips and BBQ flavored snacks though)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    People that say that they can't eat something because it's vegan or vegetarian and they are meat eaters.
    Or people that just can't have a meal that doesn't contain meat in it for them...
  • VegjoyP
    edited January 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    People that say that they can't eat something because it's vegan or vegetarian and they are meat eaters.
    Or people that just can't have a meal that doesn't contain meat in it for them...

I do not eat meat and its a choice. In a sence yes-we theoretically can do what we want- all food consumption is truly a choice.

It also is a shame when p eople who are meat eaters prejudge plant based foods. Oh well thier missing out!
  • VegjoyP
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I do not eat meat and its a choice. In a sence yes-we theoretically can do what we want- all food consumption is truly a choice.

It also is a shame when p eople who are meat eaters prejudge plant based foods. Oh well thier missing out!

I think that's pretty much what PAPYRUS3 was saying?

I don't eat meat either.

Among things I don't understand are meat-eaters who are unwilling even to *try* a meatless dish or meal, that contains foods they'd otherwise be willing to eat. (At the same time, when I make meatless dishes to share with meat-eating friends, I try to stick with things that the average person is likely to find non-scary, non-weird, because I want to share foods I think they'll enjoy, not banner-wave about alternative food choices. Most of the time, these dishes look like normal vegetable side dishes (maybe with some normal food non-meat protein added), or are similar to regular main dishes, but without meat (like veggie lasagna).)

I don't understand vegetarians who are unwilling to eat the meat-free sides of an omnivore's meal now and then, but instead demand that others provide some obvious protein-heavy non-meat main dish at every social event. I don't understand vegetarians who make a dramatic scene if they find a tiny shred of ham or bacon in their restaurant food (that clearly fell unnoticed and by accident from one food-prep bin of ingredients into another). I don't understand vegetarians who make a major scene if they find meat in a dish they ordered: It's normally possible to ask questions in advance and find out, but busy kitchen crews do make mistakes, and a quiet, polite conversation with the server is normally very effective.

I do resent people who intentionally sneak meat ingredients into non-meat-eaters foods and lie about it, because "it won't hurt them". That's no way to treat others, especially if they've been polite about their preferences.

Not every other non-meat-eater in the world needs to feel the above ways, but it's how I feel about it. My eating choices are my eating choices. I'm responsible for them; other people aren't. In most areas of life, I don't think banner-waving and proselytizing makes converts as effectively as a calmer, factual, explanation or example. 🤷‍♀️

Yes I think you said everything I feel too
  • pancakerunner
    fruitcake is good :)
  • pancakerunner
    This might be unpopular and might trigger some, but I'm not fond of Trader Joe's products
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    edited January 2021
    This might be unpopular and might trigger some, but I'm not fond of Trader Joe's products

We don't have one here and I always wonder how good it is

LORD JESUS bless
  • hurtwill360
    hurtwill360 Posts: 1 Member
    OLIVES black, green, red or what color they come in. They are taste yucky.
  • pancakerunner

Not "triggered", but just confused as to how you are not fond of an entire grocery store's range of products. It's not like they specialize in one type of product. The Trader Joe's branded products all come from different suppliers, so it just seems like a pretty wide brush to say you don't like all of them.

There are products that I like from there, and some I don't, like you could say about any grocery store.

Generally speaking... just think the super unique and trendy products are a bit over-hyped