HELP - What is the best exercise app (free)?

Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been trying to use Sworkit - but I don't like that it's just a little guy with white background doing the motion/exercise over and over like a little robot. I do like the fact that it gives you a program (I am doing Couch to Fit) - three workouts this week, four next week, five after that and starts slow and builds up.

I tried Nike Fit Club -- love the fact that it is actual video of trainers working out and explaining, doing motions, and inspiring you in a real gym somewhere. BUT - they don't have any program to follow - it's just a ton of videos and you decide yourself what to watch each day. My lazy butt will always pick the short easy looking ones if I don't have guidance.

What FREE exercise apps do you like that have video style workouts and assign you a program to follow based on your fitness level and goals?

Would also love to be doing lots of different stuff to keep from getting bored - bodyweight, dumbbells, yoga, meditation, stretching, walking, etc - keep it fresh.

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Somehow I've been getting Beachbody on Demand for free for years. I have no idea how, I don't remember registering for it, and I've certainly never paid for it - but every time I login, there it all is, as if I'm a paid member. Shhhhh don't tell anyone :D

That said - YouTube. I've heard lots of people raving about Sydney Cummings, who releases a new video every day, I believe, in line with her program.
  • Rannoch3908
    That would be nice to have beach body for free
  • Rannoch3908
    No one uses any exercise apps that sound like they might work here?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    Did you try googling? I see some apps that are free.

Walking or hiking? Is that out of the question?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

I don't think there are any apps that are going to encompass everything you mentioned into one. The only training app I use is Zwift, which is cycling specific and has a broad range of stand alone workouts as well as structured programs...but like I said, it's cycling specific.

For weight training, there's a whole range of programs out there from beginner to intermediate to advanced...Typically though, they are structured to give you the most efficient results "off the shelf" in the gym, rather than providing a wide variety workouts and different stuff. Some of them have apps, but I think it's more to illustrate the training for that day and for you to log your weight lifted, etc. rather than something to workout along with.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited January 2021

Sure, but I don't know of any that have everything you are looking for and don't cost anything. Many of the ones with specific programs are not free.

Edit for typo
  • ehrenlynae7
    ehrenlynae7 Posts: 63 Member
    Sydney Cummings on YouTube.

Peloton is free for the first 60 days. You don’t have to have the bike and they have other workouts like strength training, yoga ect
  • Rannoch3908
    I was just trying to find some info without downloading each one and trying it then deleting when it wasn't right. I have tried 7 so far but not what I am looking for. I will keep trying.

Thanks for the tips ya'll!
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Have you tried the FitOn app? I just started using it and so far I like it.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    JEFIT has a ton of built in routines based on what options you choose (home, beginner, days of week). It has videos/descriptions for exercises but I don't think it has trainer led video workouts.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    I like fitness blender. There aren’t any programmes (I don’t think) but there are a huge number of videos and you can choose from a range of times, equipment, instructors etc