If at first you succeed and don't appreciate it...

shadowfax_c11
shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
edited January 2021 in Getting Started
Try try again.

I was doing really well 4 years ago. Life beat me down again and I gave up. I have finally got life back on a better track so now I have to start over again. I think I learned from it though. So maybe this time will be different.

1) I was stuck on a plateau after having lost around 40 pounds. I still had a to to lose to get to my goal and I was continually obsessing about everything I was going to eat all of the time. It was mentally exhausting. I never really took a moment to appreciate and enjoy the success I had to that point. Now when I think back and look at the one nice pic I have from then remember how much better my clothes fit and how good I felt and I would love to be back there in that place even stuck compared to where I am now.

2) I had a good long talk with my Dr about my weight and concerns. I didn't wait for her to give me "the humiliating lecture" I brought it up and let her know that I really do want to lose. We checked everyth8ing that can be checked health wise and she can't find a thing wrong with me. My Fitbit stats show that I am a long way from sedentary. I don't really eat that unhealthy. I am lucky to have found a wonderful supportive Dr and her thought was that I needed to focus on finding the point where I feel good in my body.

So I am not going to focus quite so hard on getting back to that weight I was when I was 20 and focus on just getting back to feeling good in my body and my clothes. What size I wear and what other people think should never be the reason to change your body in any fashion.

I wish everyone above luck in finding that on their own journey.

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I lost 40 lbs and had it off for 3 years, then got a flu and could not eat and then when I could I gained 25 lbs back. It felt so good to eat and I went overboard. Like you said you learn. I now know food is not pain medication and I did not need to keep eating. I should have taken my medicine and waited it out. I guess I get complacent and it was hard getting it off again but I did so I know you can also.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I lost 60 fairly easily. Gained it back just as easily. Still kicking my own rear.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    @shadowfax_c11, sounds like you have a matured outlook and a good plan for moving forward in a positive direction: Good show. Wishing you much sucess!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @shadowfax_c11, sounds like you have a matured outlook and a good plan for moving forward in a positive direction: Good show. Wishing you much sucess!

Well... at 50 it's about time. :p

Thank you. I think it helps to redefine success. Yesterday I went well over my calories but it was a conscious choice. I rewarded myself for doing a chore I dislike. But I feel good for having done it. Ate the yummy food logged it and went to bed feeling good about myself. I think it all balances out. So far I am down 4 pounds (probably water but I'll take it) and I feel pretty good about things.