C25K anyone?

Heya!

Wondering if anyone's following C25K and wanting to share their story/progress as well as trying to motivate each other!

I'm stuck for weeks on W6D3 personally. It's been going well until then! I have redone Day 1 and 2 again last week to see if it makes a difference and although I've ran the best two 10min ever a few days ago, today I totally failed running 25min. It just seems like such a leap! Ughh... But we'll try again.

What about you?

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I've done C25K back to back a couple of times and now I repeat weeks, mostly to make sure that I don't lose my progress and that I continue to run three times a week.
    W6D3 *is* challenging, I agree with you. :) But if you managed to get this far, you are totally able to push through it eventually. I wouldn't worry too much about speed for the time being. If you were able to run 20 minutes on week 5, you can run 25. If not this week, then the week after or two weeks after or whenever. Run a bit slower if you have to, it's okay. (Believe me, if there was a prize for the slowest runner, I'd win it!). I think C25K is much more about endurance than speed.

Best of luck, you can do this!

• torabelle79
    torabelle79 Posts: 63 Member
    I started C25K last year and now run 5 - 10k three times a week. I was a real non runner, ex smoker with very dodgy knees that have been operated on in the past. I found week 4 a killer, but it really was more of a.mental block than anything. Just slow down, chew gum (really helps with breathing), put some upbeat music on and go for it. There is a supportive FB group for people doing C25K and I found a local lady on there who lives near me and we now run together. That's been a game changer as we spur each other on when we may otherwise decide not to go out, end a run early etc. Good luck.... just try in the programme. It works!!
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Oh that's impressive, I'm happy to hear that - the both of you! Running 5k and more comfortably is certainly I goal I have too and I'm hoping C25K will help me with that.

I agree, I always feel so slow compared to other runners but I prefer this over not finishing at all!

I will try again hopefully today if not tomorrow and fingers crossed I'll make it to week 7 this time! I know it's a mental barrier mostly but knowing this doesn't make it easier to overcome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited January 2021
    I did it years ago...had to repeat a week or two...but my best advice is to slow down so you can complete the run. C25K is very entry level and there's no push to go fast...it's only really supposed to get you to the point where you can actually run/jog for 30 minutes. In my case, that wasn't a full 5K by the end of the program. It took me a few more months and different programs after C25K to get my 5K time below 30 minutes...granted, I was never a particularly good distance runner and have since given it up for cycling.

Bottom line of C25K is to just get you to the point of being able to run for 30 minutes...it doesn't have to be fast...that will come later with more intermediate and advanced programs, and/or practice.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Try running a bit more slowly :smile:

I did C25K last April to return to running. I still don’t run 5K in 30 minutes (more like 32-34) but I averaged 100km per month last year and currently on track for about 150km in January. My furthest run to date was just above 15km. My point is that you can do it and great adventures await you!

Besides, speed kills :wink:
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I have done C25k before. I found I need to repeat most runs 1-2 times before progressing. I should start this back up in the Spring.
  • JCH187
    JCH187 Posts: 39 Member
    It’s a great program, I got through it and went onto do 10k, a foot problem has stopped my running but I’m hoping to pick it up again in the future.
  • Xierrax
    Thanks for all your replies!

I agree with everything you all said! I enjoy C25K precisely for the reason that it keeps me going and helps me advance without doing the maths myself as a beginner. I've managed to finish week 6 yesterday! The 25min feeled SUPER slow but I'm so excited I did it! Thanks for all the advice and motivation. Now that I've done it, I hope week 7 will be more manageable.

But I also found like @MichelleMcKeenRN I find myself repeating runs a few times before progressing at least now in the later stages of the program. Regardless, I'm okay with that as long as I still progress!
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    I finally completed C25K last year after starting it a few times, only to peter out around week 6 (something would always get into my routine and I couldn’t pick it back up easily).

The breakthrough last year (apart from more time and access to a treadmill through lockdown - which I admit was a real luxury) was to create a playlist to get through the long runs. C25K’s guidance is awesome during the run-walk-run phases of the program, but is unnecessary during the longer runs and a bit boring if you’re not that into their music.

(Assuming you don’t have a fancy app which automatically chooses songs to your running speed - which I don’t) - I found creating a running playlist to be a real art and everytime I made a change or adjustment to the tracks, it motivated me to do another run to see how well the change worked. Don’t choose any tracks with 3/4 timings or latin beats - or you’ll end up dancing through the 25 minutes (I made that mistake! Nearly broke an ankle) - just choose good, steady beats which fit your running speed to help you keep putting one foot in front of another. Each song acts as a natural “marker” and helps the time go quicker.

Also - I think this approach helps to wean you off the C25K program and make the step to feel like (shhhh) an ACTUAL runner.

Good luck!!!!
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    @Xierrax sorry....I missed you posting that you had actually completed week 6 now. Very well done! It is great to finally break through a barrier which has previously eluded you. 🎉
  • Xierrax
    @GrizzledSquirrel Thank you for your input and encouragement! It certainly is a great feeling. I've just finished the first 25min run of week 7 and it has been so smooth and relaxing. This made me look forward to the rest of the runs finally!

I normally go out without music/podcasts but I definitely see the benefit in doing otherwise. Music has helped me a great deal finishing my runs on the treadmill/in the gym, I just feel outside they are more hassle for me whether that is earbuds falling out during the run or wind overpowering the sound. I think that's mainly to do with the type of earphones I have but it wasn't worth it to me to invest in more suitable ones. I also came to enjoy the technology-free time especially now during lockdown! But I'm glad it's helped you and certainly sounds like a fun thing to mess around with! :smiley:
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    @Xierrax all power to you! Well done on week 7! Fabulous job!

I hear you on tech being more trouble than it’s worth sometimes. Re: earphones for exercise, I swear by over ear headphones. They look terrible but you can’t beat them for staying put.

Like the idea of tech-free time though...might try that.