Is it time to start lifting?

I’m no where close to my “goal weight” but I’ve been told it’s time to incorporate weight training (apparently that’s when you really see the results). Right now all I do is walk or jog, and I will randomly pick up my 5 lb dumbbells. I’m not caught up on numbers on the scale. I just want to be leaner and my upper body needs the most work. Any advice on what size weights I should start with, sets/reps or any specific exercises I should try? Or should I focus on cardio and wait until I lose a little more weight?

Replies

• Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    @lorrpb I’m starting off at home so right now I’m at the mercy of YouTube. Thank you so much for the advice. 🤗
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    edited January 2021
    Adding in strength training is a great idea for a couple of reasons:
    1. If you are at a calorie deficit and doing cardio/burning excess calories through exercise --- then you are losing lean muscle mass...period. There's not way to avoid that.
    2. Adding in weight training while still on a calorie deficit will help to maintain as best as possible your current lean muscle mass - which is important for overall health.
    3. Fellow runner here...go ahead and add in a circuit of core/lower back/glute/hamstring exercises just to avoid injury. Weak glutes can wreak havoc on a runner.

You will really only be able to gain muscle mass/tone significantly once you are no longer in a calorie deficit. But, the more lean muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism...which is still good for losing weight. Meaning you will burn more calories sitting on the couch watching TV, if you have a good amount of lean muscle.

Maybe look into some calisthenics (home based) exercises that don't require much equipment/weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    @lorrpb I’m starting off at home so right now I’m at the mercy of YouTube. Thank you so much for the advice. 🤗

You should look into some bodyweight movements and/or get a range of resistance bands...5 Lbs dumbbells aren't going to do a whole lot. Different lifts are going to require different weight resistance and most of your body is more than capable of doing far more than 5 Lbs. To get the benefits of resistance training you need to have it be challenging enough to require your body to made adaptations.
  • Indialove901
    Thank both of you for your responses. I just went and picked up some 8 lb dumbbells from Walmart (that was literally the last/heaviest pair they had). I used them last night and this morning and I can definitely tell the difference from the 5 lb dumbbells that I have been using. I guess I’ll continue using these weights until I’m ready to increase the weight and incorporate resistance bands. Thanks again for the advice!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    It's always time to start lifting! I only do body weight stuff right now, but it's progressive and so helpful. You're going to be glad you did :) I personally LOVE the feeling of *strong*!! I'm much more forgiving of myself as I lose weight knowing that I'm working on strength. It also helps with everything else I do: swimming, rowing, running, walking...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    I don’t know of any lady here who said,”I wish I’d waited....”

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • Indialove901
    Thanks @girlswithcurls2 and @springlering62 ! I think my biggest concern is packing on muscle and remaining the same size I am because in the end I want to be leaner. Needless to say, I started with my 8 pound dumbbells the day after I posted this. 😉
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    Thanks @girlswithcurls2 and @springlering62 ! I think my biggest concern is packing on muscle and remaining the same size I am because in the end I want to be leaner. Needless to say, I started with my 8 pound dumbbells the day after I posted this. 😉

When I started lifting, I lost 6 dress sizes, but stayed the same weight. Muscle is more dense than fat is, pound for pound. It's more compact.

As for packing on muscle, it takes a lot of work to get there. I lift pretty heavy (comparatively) and I am loving every single muscle I've found along the way.

Another vote for lifting!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2021
    Everyone regardless of age, gender, body composition should be resistance and cardiovascular training.

There simply is to many benefits not to (e.g., increased bone density, lower risk of disease, improved weight control, lower risk of injury, reduces chronic pain, reverses sarcopenia, extends life, etc...).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    @Indialove901 you will not bulk up. Check out that photos in the thread I posted. Lifting has helped me with tightening loose skin, building “attractive” muscle (I guess that’s toning), and most of all, confidence inside the gym and out.

TBH I have been so scale focused that I’ve thinned out too much, even with the lifting. I am working to remedy that.

I’m not a heavy lifter like some of these ladies but I can do about 125% or so of my body weight.

tdh5mhc08kal.jpeg

You say: packing on muscle and remaining the same size I am because in the end I want to be leaner.

Does this look bulky to you?
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    YES! It's always a good time to start lifting.
  • Indialove901
    @KickassAmazon76 Very inspiring! @springlering62 Thank you for sharing that. @lemongirlbc @Chieflrg I’ve been feeling super motivated lately. I’m starting off with lighter weights but adding weight training before my morning cardio. 😉
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Since you like YouTube, check out Sydney Cummings and Caroline Girvan
  • westrich20940
    Don't worry about 'bulking' up -- you won't especially if you are not eating excess calories. Muscle builders eat a TON. They have to to put on the muscle and it goes quick if they stop.

Lift HEAVY even....less reps, more weight. It won't make you bulky it'll make you strong. =D
  • Indialove901
    @DancingMoosie I actually stumbled across a Caroline Girvan video unintentionally. I have to check Sydney out. Thank you.

@westrich20940 Got it! I’m starting with 8 pounds, so I should gradually increase right? Or once I get my form right, should I shoot up to about 15-20 pounds? I appreciate your advice.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Just increase where you can. Sydney usually tells you what weight she's using, so you can see what might be doable in the future. But everyone is different and progresses at a different rate. I tried to move up too fast and ended up with tendonitis.
  • westrich20940
    @Indialove901 --- yeah for sure start out with what you have right now. I'd start adding some weight when you fee like you're not sore the next day from your current weight/rep system and go from there!
  • Indialove901
    Got it! Thanks again.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Trust me, putting on muscle is not that easy/fast, and people who look "bulky" work hard to get to that look
    Nothing wrong with adding weights while still losing weight; I wish I'd done it sooner