TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (January)

Replies

• annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Hey Team:

Question for you. The health insurance at work offers a program where they will send me a 'smart scale' and a fitbit for free, plus some counseling sessions. I am all in on the counseling, but I stopped short because I have to authorize the scale to send data to the health insurance company and by proxy, to my work.

Am I just giving myself an excuse not to be accountable, or was that wise to avoid that privacy 'invasion'?

Looking for advice and opinions here is all - second guessing myself.
  • JMTiv1979
    JMTiv1979 Posts: 63 Member
    Hey Team:

Question for you. The health insurance at work offers a program where they will send me a 'smart scale' and a fitbit for free, plus some counseling sessions. I am all in on the counseling, but I stopped short because I have to authorize the scale to send data to the health insurance company and by proxy, to my work.

Am I just giving myself an excuse not to be accountable, or was that wise to avoid that privacy 'invasion'?

What industry do you work in? I would be a little skeptical that they could use your information and be able to refuse life insurance or increase cost of health insurance. What does it say they will do with the data in the terms and conditions? If you decide to move forward, print and keep a copy of the T&C in case it is updated later. You will want the copy you agreed to.
  • annabananamc
    JMTiv1979 wrote: »

What industry do you work in? I would be a little skeptical that they could use your information and be able to refuse life insurance or increase cost of health insurance....

That was my fear as well. I work for Johns Hopkins University. I just didn't want to feel like a science experiment, either. I think I'm going to trust my gut, and your thinking along the same lines.

I can still be in the program and do the counseling/group stuff, without the scale phoning home. I do already have an older fitbit, too, and of course I have YOU and this site! In fact, coming back here was because I wanted accountability without it being tied to my employer.

Free with strings just doesn't feel really free, does it?
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    edited January 2021
    JMTiv1979 wrote: »

What industry do you work in? I would be a little skeptical that they could use your information and be able to refuse life insurance or increase cost of health insurance....

That was my fear as well. I work for Johns Hopkins University. I just didn't want to feel like a science experiment, either. I think I'm going to trust my gut, and your thinking along the same lines.

I can still be in the program and do the counseling/group stuff, without the scale phoning home. I do already have an older fitbit, too, and of course I have YOU and this site! In fact, coming back here was because I wanted accountability without it being tied to my employer.

Free with strings just doesn't feel really free, does it?

@annabananamc I agree with your thoughts and @JMTiv1979

My employer gives us a "healthy living discount" and requires a bunch of nonsense in order to continue receiving the discount(specific health screenings, doctor visits, online "counseling", etc.). Luckily, my fiance has the same insurance as me, and we decided that we will use his once we tie the knot. If I were to add him to mine, he would be required to jump through those same hoops.

Edit: I hit done too soon! I also feel this could affect other benefits I recieve and I don't like the idea of them receiving information that should be between my doctor and I. 🤷‍♀️

Free stuff always sounds alluring :lol:
  • maryc11
    maryc11 Posts: 415 Member
    user name = maryc11
    Date = Saturday 1.16.21 7:58PM
    Tracked = Yes
    Under = Yes
    Water = 82 oz
    Steps = 4369
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Hey Team:

That seems sketchy to me. We already have our privacy invaded enough with “smart” technology. This phone i’m typing on is more than enough.
    I try to limit as many things as possible. No ‘Alexa’ in my house or Ring doorbells, etc. If I could live without my smartphone I would
  • erikNJ
    I hope this topic doesn't make me come across as a weird conspiracy theory guy.
    But since it was brought up.
    Sometimes I even wonder about how much information I give MFP. Also for you fitbit people, Google just purchased fitbit. So there is another giant company getting your information
  • Robandy12345
    Robandy12345 Posts: 265 Member
    user name = robandy12345
    Date = Saturday 1.16.21 9:50PM
    Tracked = Yes
    Under = Yes
    Steps = 11,300
  • Krysless2
    Krysless2 Posts: 1,875 Member
    Sat, Jan16
    Week 2- Day 7
    Track- Yes
    Under Cals- No; over by 289
    Exercise- No; not enough to hit the 20 min mark
    👟Challenges💧
    56oz
    4147 Steps
    Note- went out with my husband tonight and we had a nice time to ourselves. I had a Bloody Mary backed by 3 drafts and my no-carb-eating, light-weight azz was already ready to clock out!! It was just too much for me and I really just can’t believe how rapidly it hit my blood stream.. we decidedly thought it was best to come home. I tried to eat something for the sake of absorption, that came back up later(Unfortunately). Hunger and headache woke me up now it’s 4am here and I ate some pizza and watched an episode of Schitts Creek now off to bed I go! On to the next one..
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,380 Member
    edited January 2021
    Saturday 16 Jan
    Track: yes
    Under: no
    Exercise: no, rest day

Steps: 6,791
    Water: 60 oz

Tonight's Blue Apron was a bit better, 700 calories and 38 carbs. I would have been ok if it wasn't for the latte I had for small business Saturday. My husband and I go out once a week, usually on Saturday, to take the trash to the dump, the typical Walmart or Lowe's run, and grocery shopping. We've been stopping by a small independent coffee shop ☕ to help support small business. Even a SF latte can pile on the calories. But I tell myself it's Ok as I'm really doing a community service. 😂 The chocolate covered espresso bean they put on the lid as a garnish is just a bonus. ☺️
  • Krysless2
    Krysless2 Posts: 1,875 Member
    Week2 Weigh-in:
    LW: 156
    January SW: 160
    Week 1
    ✅❌✅❌✅✅✅51,837👟
    ❌✅✅✅❌❌❌413oz💦
    ❌❌✅✅❌❌❌UnderCals
    Wk1 Total Cals: 11645 Cals
    Wk1 Result: 156lbs
    *Reminder:Lose 2lbs=8400cals/Wk
    Caloric Goal: 1350 Daily
    Maintain Weight=13000/Week
    💦Goal: 64/Daily; 448/Wkly
    👟Goal: 7000/Daily; 49000/Wkly*
    Week 2
    ✅✅✅✅✅❌✅55,012👟
    ❌✅✅✅❌❌✅478oz💦
    ❌❌❌✅✅❌❌UnderCals
    Wk2 Total Cals: 11185 Cals
    Wk2 Result: 153.2lbs
    Note: My sabotage bit didn’t throw me too off course
  • cmhubbard92
    Saturday 16 Jan
    Track: yes
    Under: no
    Exercise: no, rest day

Steps: 6,791
    Water: 60 oz

Tonight's Blue Apron was a bit better, 700 calories and 38 carbs. I would have been ok if it wasn't for the latte I had for small business Saturday. My husband and I go out once a week, usually on Saturday, to take the trash to the dump, the typical Walmart or Lowe's run, and grocery shopping. We've been stopping by a small independent coffee shop ☕ to help support small business. Even a SF latte can pile on the calories. But I tell myself it's Ok as I'm really doing a community service. 😂 The chocolate covered espresso bean they put on the lid as a garnish is just a bonus. ☺️

@DaffyGirl88 I have only ever been to one place(a few times) that put a chocolate covered espresso bean on the lid, and I was thrilled! Unfortunately it was in Arizona, so I may never get the opportunity to go there again! It was lovely. It is wonderful that you and your husband are supporting small businesses :)

It's a bummer that Blue Apron has so many high calorie meals! I've never subscribed to a meal service, but am almost trying new recipes weekly!

Yesterday I made this https://www.eatwell101.com/spinach-chicken-casserole-recipe and added onion and mushrooms to it. I may have over baked it a little, but it was delicious! It was around 450 calories and I believe 6g net carbs. Maybe fifteen minutes to prepare and 30 to bake. It was very easy!
    dwanyfmw84wh.jpg
  • cmhubbard92
    Krysless2 wrote: »
    Week2 Weigh-in:
    LW: 156
    January SW: 160
    Week 1
    ✅❌✅❌✅✅✅51,837👟
    ❌✅✅✅❌❌❌413oz💦
    ❌❌✅✅❌❌❌UnderCals
    Wk1 Total Cals: 11645 Cals
    Wk1 Result: 156lbs
    *Reminder:Lose 2lbs=8400cals/Wk
    Caloric Goal: 1350 Daily
    Maintain Weight=13000/Week
    💦Goal: 64/Daily; 448/Wkly
    👟Goal: 7000/Daily; 49000/Wkly*
    Week 2
    ✅✅✅✅✅❌✅55,012👟
    ❌✅✅✅❌❌✅478oz💦
    ❌❌❌✅✅❌❌UnderCals
    Wk2 Total Cals: 11185 Cals
    Wk2 Result: 153.2lbs
    Note: My sabotage bit didn’t throw me too off course

@Krysless2 great loss!!!
  • kyungs
    kyungs Posts: 66 Member
    User: kyungs
    date: Sunday 1/17/2020
    current weight: 172
    last week: 173
  • annabananamc
    This challenge is JUST what I needed. I did some yard work yesterday and then mostly 'dinked around' instead of taking my morning walk. But thinking of putting a NO in the exercise column sent me out in the evening, which was great. I saw the owner of our local yoga studio who was playing chess in her yard with her son, which was a bonus in these lonely times. Have only seen her on Zoom since March. THANK YOU ALL for being here, AND for the feedback on the 'smart' scale from work. I am just gonna decline.

1/16/2021
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes
    Water: 80
    Steps: 6850
  • mooreshelly09
    mooreshelly09 Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hey Team:

My husbands work started requiring a few years ago that we go through a health screen they conduct at his work. They would then in turn set health goals for the year and if you did not make an improvement our insurance cost could go up. If you did not participate in the health screen they charged you 30.00 per pay period for that year.

@cmhubbard92 What is the Game of Thrones challenge?
  • cmhubbard92
    @mooreshelly09 I am sending you an invite to the challenge(it starts today) so you can check out our week 1 challenge and decide if you wish to join a house(or even join the Wildlings, and participate as you wish)
    Here's a very basic summary of the challenge:

There are different weekly challenges and goals participants should meet, both individually and as a team.

Individual goals:
    There will be a minimum requirement of Cardio, Strength and Flex minutes you should meet each week, as well as a food challenge and a short challenge given by the Small Council.
    There will be also a short challenge given by the winning house from the previous week.
    You will have to meet all these challenges by yourself, there is no sharing with your team mates.
    The individual minute goals will vary week to week.

Team goals:
    Additionally, you will have to meet a certain Cardio, Strength and Flex goal as a team - so here your entire house will work together.
    However, as we do not want you to overdo things, there will be a maximum amount of minutes each house member may contribute to the team goal.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    Weigh in Sunday January 17th = 166
    Previous weight 165
    Didn't track or exercise, stayed with my aunt for the week to help her. I will be home starting this week and I'm craving my exercise routine and my own foods. I had to be with her and I wouldn't change that, she needed the help. I did over 10,000 steps yesterday, hopefully I can get back on track. The notifications were over 340 when I signed in this morning! Lol.
  • erikNJ
    Challenge

Sun: n/y/n
    Mon: y/y/y
    Tue: y/y/y
    Wed: y/y/n
    Thu: y/y/y
    Fri: n/n/y
    Sat: n/n/y

Friday was my planned cheat night. Saturday we had gorgeous weather so my wife and I went to walk the Atlantic City boardwalk ... which led to us eating at one of our favorite Italian restaurants. It was a great day and I also worked out both days so I don’t feel bad about it.
    Time to rebalance and start this week right
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    kyungs wrote: »
    User: kyungs
    date: Sunday 1/17/2020
    current weight: 172
    last week: 173

@kyungs Fantastic loss!
This discussion has been closed.