The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• miallbena8190
    miallbena8190 Posts: 29 Member
    I’m 48 and loving this app and the focus it gives me. I am getting into the best shape and healthiest I have ever been in my life. So great to be able to track each day and stay focussed. I love exercising everyday now and have formed a habit that it is just part of my day. I have lost 4kg since the 10th December 2020 and aiming to lose another 4 or so. I am aiming for getting down to no more than 20%body fat. Currently at 24%. Looking for motivation buddies so please feel free to add me.
  • quintinathome
    quintinathome Posts: 3 Member
    Hey guys just thought I would say hi, I'm Turing 41 in April so around two weeks ago I thought need to get my fat *kitten* in shape as I was weighing in at 102kg😱 my target weight is 85kg let's see how it progress 😬
  • ac7ssm
    ac7ssm Posts: 14 Member
    53 here and trying to get to "Not obese" by my physical next year. It's a long journey ahead.
  • mjwilson0246
    mjwilson0246 Posts: 12 Member
    I just turned 35 past weekend. Feel free to add me too! New to MFP. Definitely need the support and willing to be here for others
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Amazing morning walk! Was cold, but not freezing, and little ice on the roads. And I turned off the news about 15 minutes in and just let my mind wander with music. Definitely a great start to the day.
  • Craig_King_1967
    Craig_King_1967 Posts: 93 Member
    Another year gone by, 54 now, body is ever so slightly knackered but still going to keep on pushing. Got a wardrobe full of clothes I cannot get into and that has to change this year, by the next one I will be in them.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Morning everyone!

I’m having a “self hate spiral” kind of day. I’m super close to that 50lbs mark and I made the mistake of thinking “hey let’s find a before photo for comparison”. Turns out I was way fatter than I remembered and what I look like now is what I have in my head as what I looked like 50lbs ago so... feeling like I’ve done all this work and gotten no where. What’s the phrase? Can’t polish a turd? Yup. Feeling like the turd.

Best practices for getting out of self hate spirals and not letting them derail you welcome. I’m
    gonna go for a walk on a foggy trail and try to shake it off.

I hope everyone else is having a great day! ❤️
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    Hey guys just thought I would say hi, I'm Turing 41 in April so around two weeks ago I thought need to get my fat *kitten* in shape as I was weighing in at 102kg😱 my target weight is 85kg let's see how it progress 😬

Welcome to the middle age team! Take it slow and steady; you'll gladly say farewell to those kilos. I bet you feel better, too.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    mshawski wrote: »
    Morning everyone!

I’m having a “self hate spiral” kind of day. I’m super close to that 50lbs mark and I made the mistake of thinking “hey let’s find a before photo for comparison”. Turns out I was way fatter than I remembered and what I look like now is what I have in my head as what I looked like 50lbs ago so... feeling like I’ve done all this work and gotten no where. What’s the phrase? Can’t polish a turd? Yup. Feeling like the turd.

Best practices for getting out of self hate spirals and not letting them derail you welcome. I’m
    gonna go for a walk on a foggy trail and try to shake it off.

I hope everyone else is having a great day! ❤️

Would it make a difference if you knew this is totally NOT uncommon?

I have a whole host of images in a folder on my computer at work that cycle through as background images. I usually have work on both monitors, so don't always see them, but sometimes I do. Some pictures from a river trip shortly before I started my journey to get to a healthier weight came across with me sitting there in a chair. I said, "wow." I kind of think it was this kind of image that really got me started as I'd been moving very slowly in fits and starts for a few years. It gave me the kick in the panther I needed.

It sounds like you're doing really well. Fifty pounds is a big deal. It's surprisingly common for people to look in the mirror and see what's not actually there after they lose weight. Some call it body dysmorphia. It can take a while, and it may resolve on its own.

One thing I did that you might think about that could really help your head: I put on a SCUBA weight belt. Not even a huge one. Then I took a walk. My knees hurt more. I did this to remind myself that I used to carry that much extra around all the time. Next time you're in the grocery, pick up a 20 pound sack of potatoes or flour. You used to always carry TWO of those around at all times. See if you can pick up the second.

Try to be kind to yourself. Give yourself permission to be upset a little, but know that even if you're not done with your journey, you've been to some great places, and you have other great places to see. I hope you get out of the funk and it doesn't sabotage what you've worked so hard to achieve up to now.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Thanks, @mtaratoot ❤️
    Shaking it off and moving forward.
  • Matty_Bowman
    Matty_Bowman Posts: 39 Member
    Love this thread! So much inspiration! 42 years old and working hard on physical and mental health! Crazy times right!?! Love to share and grow with you all. Friend me up and let’s motivate and crush our goals.
  • OrodrigoOchileO
    OrodrigoOchileO Posts: 2 Member
    Hello everyone, 38, about to turn 39 this 23th, and happy to join this group! Hope everyone has great day, healthy meal and good and fiery workouts!
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Happy Monday middle agers :p

Aww @mshawski don't be so hard on yourself, 50lbs is bloody amazing, it's just your brain hasn't caught up yet with the real you! For what it's worth, you look fab in your profile pic, not a turd to be seen!
  • 4of6
    4of6 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I recently turned 40 and have used my fitness pal about 10 years ago and found it great.. I recently moved to a new country & new language and would love to start back into my fitness and health as well as having some English speaking friends to support each other .. So feel free to add me!
  • 2021Mrs
    2021Mrs Posts: 1 Member
    Hello!! I guess I am now considered a middle ager lol

Turning 39 this year and getting married (nothing fancy, but still) - wanting to get in better shape. Just bought a total fit plus home gym machine (Chuck Norris approved lol)

Feel free to add me if you have an open food diary. I love seeing what other people are incorporating into their meals for ideas!!
  • jwills9082
    jwills9082 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi there
    I don’t care what anyone says , we’re only as young as we feel, I might need to shed a few pound and have a few wrinkles coming in but I don’t feel 43 ! I’m trying to keep fit and slim down. Last year was a washout so I feel it’s time to try and get back some normality, I’ve found it hard as I love the gym , having them closed and keeping myself motivated at home is hard but I’m going to try the workout on here. Anyone have a favourite workout?please feel free to add me , the more I see others motivation the better 👍 we’re all in this together. 😁
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    "Happy" Monday and so nice to see new faces on this board. Welcome to all of you!!!

Dogs decided last night that from 2:30 to 4:30am was a necessary playtime, so I'm so much dragging *kitten* today. Unreal...ready to ship them off somewhere (ok not really). Coffee isn't even really helping so far. Maybe I just need to inject it...haha.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    LivinLifeHealthy84 Posts: 35 Member
    Hey all! Hope everyone's had a damn good day!

I don't get on the community much because it's honestly a pain on the iphone app. Feel free to add me if you'd like to share support! I'm 36 and from the Midwest. Been on a 10 month absence and getting back into being healthy.

Anyways.. I'm off to make some sweet potato tacos because honestly.. let's face it: They're amazing.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    LivinLifeHealthy84 Posts: 35 Member
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    "Happy" Monday and so nice to see new faces on this board. Welcome to all of you!!!

Dogs decided last night that from 2:30 to 4:30am was a necessary playtime, so I'm so much dragging *kitten* today. Unreal...ready to ship them off somewhere (ok not really). Coffee isn't even really helping so far. Maybe I just need to inject it...haha.

I've wondered often how much money could be made with IV coffee lol