Curious what it’s like to workout while wearing a mask!?

Anyone going to the gym where masks are required? Our state law requires a mask at all times and I can’t wrap my head around how hard that must be. I would love some insight if it sucks or if it’s tolerable! Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Depends on your physical fitness for many. If your cardio sucks, then wearing a mask sucks even more. I can work out with a mask, but much harder when I do cardio or train legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I wouldn't know, my gym doesn't enforce it. I also go during pretty quiet times where social distancing is more than possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Anyone going to the gym where masks are required? Our state law requires a mask at all times and I can’t wrap my head around how hard that must be. I would love some insight if it sucks or if it’s tolerable! Thanks!

My workout in the gym is in the weight room and I have no issues wearing a mask and lifting. I don't do cardio in the gym, so that's not an issue...I wouldn't and won't do cardio with a mask on.
  • coffee_n_weights
    coffee_n_weights Posts: 115 Member
    It's not so bad with weight training, but yeah - the cardio does suck, at least for me (treadmill running/stairmaster mostly)
  • frauchappell
    frauchappell Posts: 2 Member
    You do get used to it. Cardio is harder but doable. After the session, it is wonderful to take the damp mask off and toss it! Worth it to me to continue working with a personal trainer.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I just do strength training at the gym, and cardio at home. It's not bad, I've been wearing it for several months now. I also take dance classes with my mask on, too, so that's cardio-like at times. It makes me feel like I'm working harder than I am, but I'm used to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I admit I've only done outdoor stuff with a mask (I know, that's weird - not going to go into reasons, because boring). Intensity is harder, and I'm finding a mask cage can be helpful. It creates a little space between face and fabric, so there isn't as much sucking in wet fabric. It doesn't seem to pull the mask out of contact with my face enough to create extra side gaps. Others' experience with such devices may vary. (I put the pencil under it to show scale. I don't profit from these. A friend gave me this one.)
    kwpd33cu7ye2.jpg
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    It's tolerable, depending on the type of mask.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    Its sucks with Cardio( elliptical) I couldn't push it and exert myself, because I felt like I was without sufficient air; Weight machines and free weights it made me sweat BUCKETS, and my glasses stayed foggy, I was very annoyed so, I canceled my gym membership. I'm not risking Not wearing a mask in gym, not w/ folks huffing&puffing..bodily fluids ext. Plus its only a $20mnt gym. Luckily I have, tons of small work out stuff at home( im a fitness tool enthusiast/collector) I've been had, free weights, cable's, bands ropes ext.. so i'll be okay for now.

• schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    For hard cardio, it kind of sucks, but like others said, you get used to it. I’ve found that I actually like wearing a mask when I run outside (it’s a “sport” mask) in the cold winter...my lungs don’t burn when I’m done like they did in the past.

I would invest in an athletic mask...it helps it suck less.
  • Kaysmile012015
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I admit I've only done outdoor stuff with a mask (I know, that's weird - not going to go into reasons, because boring). Intensity is harder, and I'm finding a mask cage can be helpful. It creates a little space between face and fabric, so there isn't as much sucking in wet fabric. It doesn't seem to pull the mask out of contact with my face enough to create extra side gaps. Others' experience with such devices may vary. (I put the pencil under it to show scale. I don't profit from these. A friend gave me this one.)
    kwpd33cu7ye2.jpg

Do you use a mask for outdoor exercise? If yes what kind of exercise, and what type of mask? If you don't mind answering...Thnks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    kwpd33cu7ye2.jpg

Do you use a mask for outdoor exercise? If yes what kind of exercise, and what type of mask? If you don't mind answering...Thnks

I've worn a mask outdoors for:

* Boat carrying while on-water rowing. (We carry 26-40 foot boats weighing 31-125 or so pounds, using 2-4 people depending on the boat size, from inside the boathouse to the river, then back again after the row. There's no sensible way to put a mask on at the doorway *while* carrying a boat, so we wear them from the time we go into the boathouse until we're sitting in the boat on the water (at seats multiple feet apart, in open air), then again from the time we're getting out of the boat, until the boat is back in the rack and we're outdoors and apart again.

* Walking, including quite brisk walking (4+ mph), either because walking closer than 6' to a non-household friend, or in a more crowded place.

* For stints while biking, on a crowded trail section or when going through a busy park during good weather, more out of politeness to others who might be high risk/worried than out of concern for myself.

Some of that has been enough exertion or a long enough time for the mask to get damp and unpleasant, through some combination of sweat and exhalation. The cage helps avoid that. This is subjective, but it also seems to create a little air pocket that makes it slightly easier to breathe freely, versus sort of inhaling mask fabric when breathing, especially if breathing heavily.

My usual mask set up is a regular pleated disposable mask, with a scarf worn bandit-style (square folded to a triangle) over it, so 2 layers of tightly-woven but fairly thin fabric in addition to the commercial mask. The scarf is more to keep the mask tight against my face and under my glasses, than for extra filtration, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything filtration-wise to have the extra layers.

I believe the silicone cage is designed for the little tabs at the side to slip over the pleat nearest the top of the standard disposable mask (not the top of the mask, but the topmost pleat below the top edge). When I use it that way, it stays in place well, and the metal nose-piece of the disposable mask can be pinch-fit just above the top of the cage. The bottom of the cage lands just below my lower lip, and of course the disposable mask pulls down to below that (below chin).

I warned you it was boring! 😉
  • Kaysmile012015
    kwpd33cu7ye2.jpg

I've worn a mask outdoors for:

* Boat carrying while on-water rowing. (We carry 26-40 foot boats weighing 31-125 or so pounds, using 2-4 people depending on the boat size, from inside the boathouse to the river, then back again after the row. There's no sensible way to put a mask on at the doorway *while* carrying a boat, so we wear them from the time we go into the boathouse until we're sitting in the boat on the water (at seats multiple feet apart, in open air), then again from the time we're getting out of the boat, until the boat is back in the rack and we're outdoors and apart again.

* Walking, including quite brisk walking (4+ mph), either because walking closer than 6' to a non-household friend, or in a more crowded place.

* For stints while biking, on a crowded trail section or when going through a busy park during good weather, more out of politeness to others who might be high risk/worried than out of concern for myself.

Some of that has been enough exertion or a long enough time for the mask to get damp and unpleasant, through some combination of sweat and exhalation. The cage helps avoid that. This is subjective, but it also seems to create a little air pocket that makes it slightly easier to breathe freely, versus sort of inhaling mask fabric when breathing, especially if breathing heavily.

My usual mask set up is a regular pleated disposable mask, with a scarf worn bandit-style (square folded to a triangle) over it, so 2 layers of tightly-woven but fairly thin fabric in addition to the commercial mask. The scarf is more to keep the mask tight against my face and under my glasses, than for extra filtration, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything filtration-wise to have the extra layers.

I believe the silicone cage is designed for the little tabs at the side to slip over the pleat nearest the top of the standard disposable mask (not the top of the mask, but the topmost pleat below the top edge). When I use it that way, it stays in place well, and the metal nose-piece of the disposable mask can be pinch-fit just above the top of the cage. The bottom of the cage lands just below my lower lip, and of course the disposable mask pulls down to below that (below chin).

I warned you it was boring! 😉

Intresting, not boring, I just thought it might be for outdoor pollution, I've resorted to outdoor cardio, lots of speedwalking, walking jogging ext, sometimes I think air quality messes w/my sinuses that's all, however,thnks for the info.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    IL is currently requiring masks in gyms. I lift there and really no issue. My cardio is rucking in my subdivision at 5:15 AM so no mask there as If there is anyone out we see each other from at least 200 ft away and can make sure we're not close to each other when we pass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    I wouldn't know, my gym doesn't enforce it. I also go during pretty quiet times where social distancing is more than possible.
    What state?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GetFitNowKrystal
    GetFitNowKrystal Posts: 71 Member
    When gyms were open where I live we had to wear a mask even while working out. I got use to it. It wasn’t so bad.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member

I find disposable masks are easier to breath in. They are loser and more comfortable.
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Running/cardio sucked indoors, too cold to run outdoors (Im prone to spasms due to poor circulation), so I invested in a treadmill, cycling bike, weight bench and a Tempo fitness gym. I may not be able to squat over 100+ with this current equipment but buying 25lb and 45lb plates can easily remedy that when I get to those gains. My hubby also sleeps better knowing I'm not inadvertently bringing something potentially deadly back home with me.