Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited January 2021
    11Templars wrote: »
    nexangelus wrote: »
    11Templars wrote: »
    I tend to go more higher reps lighter weight of course as I'm not as strong whilst cutting.

I have gained strength every single cut I have done....but maybe females are better built for this? Also cutting before a meet/competition one doesn't lose strength....but then again I am a strength athlete, not a bodybuilder....

Interesting that you say that. A friend and I were talking and she mentioned the same thing. I wonder if it has anything to do with pushing yourself just a little bit harder whilst cutting because "you're" really hungry for results... Interesting none the less.

Cheers,

I'm curious if there's a correlation to be seen in the magnitude and/or rate of loss for each cut. I've seen quite a bit about loss rate and the impact on lean/fat mass but not much on the quantified effect on strength.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yeah @steveko89....my loss rates have been slow and not huge amounts to lose....so strength obviously (well in my experience it has) stays and progresses as lean mass stays pretty much intact. Also having been natty for most of my strength/strongwoman training (are we allowed to talk about this here?), I have not had severe dips and elevations in strength, just slow upward progression. Especially on pressing.

I am sure the Stronger by Science crew and other places like Elite FTS, Juggernaut Training Systems, Hybrid Performance Training, Super Training Gym, T Nation and olympic weightlifting/powerlifting/bodybuilding and strongman sites have articles and videos on this subject...somewhere?
  • steveko89
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Yeah @steveko89....my loss rates have been slow and not huge amounts to lose....so strength obviously (well in my experience it has) stays and progresses as lean mass stays pretty much intact. Also having been natty for most of my strength/strongwoman training (are we allowed to talk about this here?), I have not had severe dips and elevations in strength, just slow upward progression. Especially on pressing.

I am sure the Stronger by Science crew and other places like Elite FTS, Juggernaut Training Systems, Hybrid Performance Training, Super Training Gym, T Nation and olympic weightlifting/powerlifting/bodybuilding and strongman sites have articles and videos on this subject...somewhere?

Probably true, I've never really delved into that before. Frankly, I do most of my research when it's slow at work and that's not been the case of late; I'll have to take a look when I get a chance.

Two weeks in and I'm down to 176 the last two mornings (176.4 via trend) so -2.4 lbs since 1/1 trend-wise. I think my bulk was pretty well executed based on how I look and feel even at this point. I've been very consistent for these first two weeks, but I could push to be a little lower on intake. I'm estimating about 0.5 lbs of my weight change is from fewer carbs (assuming a 3:1 water-to-carb ratio and averaging ~75g fewer carbs per day) which would math right with my expected loss requisite to average calories.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Been running 3x week full body MAPS Anabolic plus teaching 1 day Bodypump for last 6 weeks on a bulk. Today, my body started crying for a deload. As in, couldn’t hit my numbers, at least for arms, 2 sessions in a row and binged on 600 cals of peanut butter. Live and learn.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Just copying my plans.

I got 60 days until i have a ski trip. Going to challenge myself to be strict for that period to get to 155-157.

Going to run a 6 day program (Chest/arms, legs, back/shoulders/traps) and run TKD with 30g of carbs pre workout.

I have been running this for a week and it's working nicely. Running 30g of mike and ikes until they run out and then running 30g of starburst jelly beans! Can't wait.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

Update. I am at 166 this morning. This week was pretty solid. I did cut out TKD just because it was difficult to fit in 120 calories of carbs pre-workout, but i am sticking to 50g net for carbs. Protein is generally 1-1.2g/lb. Even without TKD, I am still seeing good increases in performance. My bench has gotten back to 235 (my 1RM prior to my shoulder injury was 250); squat is 255 (1RM before back issues was 285). I haven't started to deadlift yet, but I have incorporated hip thrust again. Overall, I am really enjoying not following and overly structured program. I realize that could impact maximum potential, but for the mental health, it's worth it. And given all my big lifts are improving... honey badge just doesn't give a *kitten*. From a visual note, I think I did a small "bulk" since I did gain about 5 lbs over the holidays but I was still pushing high protein and lifting hard. At my current weight, I am looking more muscular than I did at my previous lows. Only downside, I am still dealing with back issues, but have chatted with my PT and we are working on a few things in the gym.
  • alexmose2
    Just copying my plans.

I got 60 days until i have a ski trip. Going to challenge myself to be strict for that period to get to 155-157.

Going to run a 6 day program (Chest/arms, legs, back/shoulders/traps) and run TKD with 30g of carbs pre workout.

I have been running this for a week and it's working nicely. Running 30g of mike and ikes until they run out and then running 30g of starburst jelly beans! Can't wait.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

Update. I am at 166 this morning. This week was pretty solid. I did cut out TKD just because it was difficult to fit in 120 calories of carbs pre-workout, but i am sticking to 50g net for carbs. Protein is generally 1-1.2g/lb. Even without TKD, I am still seeing good increases in performance. My bench has gotten back to 235 (my 1RM prior to my shoulder injury was 250); squat is 255 (1RM before back issues was 285). I haven't started to deadlift yet, but I have incorporated hip thrust again. Overall, I am really enjoying not following and overly structured program. I realize that could impact maximum potential, but for the mental health, it's worth it. And given all my big lifts are improving... honey badge just doesn't give a *kitten*. From a visual note, I think I did a small "bulk" since I did gain about 5 lbs over the holidays but I was still pushing high protein and lifting hard. At my current weight, I am looking more muscular than I did at my previous lows. Only downside, I am still dealing with back issues, but have chatted with my PT and we are working on a few things in the gym.

what r ur back issues again?
  • psuLemon
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

They stem from weak glute medius, over arching of my spine during squats and overall tightness. So when i have shifting or rotation, its caused pain in my lower part of my back. I am working strengthening the supporting muscles and working on flexibility, particularly the hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors.
  • alexmose2
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

They stem from weak glute medius, over arching of my spine during squats and overall tightness. So when i have shifting or rotation, its caused pain in my lower part of my back. I am working strengthening the supporting muscles and working on flexibility, particularly the hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors.

I definitely am experiencing something similar. I’m in a deload right now (3-4 days off) but also going to have the same focuses. I got me a nasty bulging disc causing that hip shift and muscle imbalances in legs.
  • psuLemon
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

I definitely am experiencing something similar. I’m in a deload right now (3-4 days off) but also going to have the same focuses. I got me a nasty bulging disc causing that hip shift and muscle imbalances in legs.

Sorry to hear. My PT goes to my gym, so he gave me a few extra things to try. But if i can't recover soon, i am going back.

What's interesting is i can squat 255 with no pain but putting on my shoes is a *kitten*.
  • alexmose2
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

Sorry to hear. My PT goes to my gym, so he gave me a few extra things to try. But if i can't recover soon, i am going back.

What's interesting is i can squat 255 with no pain but putting on my shoes is a *kitten*.

If I can suggest McGill's big 3 and his book, The Back Mechanic, he has an assessment in it that is essentially just to review what positions, movements are "good" and "hurt" for you. Yes, it's a conscious decision to not flex my back in most cases, and yes I still can, but back fatigue is real.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

If I can suggest McGill's big 3 and his book, The Back Mechanic, he has an assessment in it that is essentially just to review what positions, movements are "good" and "hurt" for you. Yes, it's a conscious decision to not flex my back in most cases, and yes I still can, but back fatigue is real.

You two are probably too young for this to apply, but you gotta love Rip's take on back pain. Definitely applies to this old guy! lol.

The link below gets through all the garbage at the beginning to the meat, although, if you have a minute watch the first 5 or 6s, especially if you're not familiar with Rip. That'll give you a taste of what his personality is like, then get to the meat linked below starting at 8:12.

https://youtu.be/qGLe1OR_n88?t=8m12s
  • psuLemon
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

I feel you and thanks for the suggestion. One of the major things we are working on is not flexing my back and increasing ROM with my ankles and hip flexors so i am not compensating. I have also deloaded to focus on form and flexibility.
  • alexmose2
    Just copying my plans.

SW - 170 (up from 164)
    Wk 1 - 167

I feel you and thanks for the suggestion. One of the major things we are working on is not flexing my back and increasing ROM with my ankles and hip flexors so i am not compensating. I have also deloaded to focus on form and flexibility.

Also, I am sure by now you are a dedicated follower of squat university on instagram.
  • alexmose2
    I will be taking a work trip/vacation for 6 weeks where I am not bringing my food scale and will be served cafeteria style food, box lunches, cereal, jerky, Think! protein bars, greek yogurt, and fruit. With the occasional night out, this is truly my test to see how 2 years of faithfully logging can get me. Not worried if I gain a couple of pounds, as I will still be able to lift weights (albiet, dumbbells). Perhaps I shall gain some muscle :)

Feels odd going cold turkey on the food scale. Wish me luck!
  • steveko89
    I will be taking a work trip/vacation for 6 weeks where I am not bringing my food scale and will be served cafeteria style food, box lunches, cereal, jerky, Think! protein bars, greek yogurt, and fruit. With the occasional night out, this is truly my test to see how 2 years of faithfully logging can get me. Not worried if I gain a couple of pounds, as I will still be able to lift weights (albiet, dumbbells). Perhaps I shall gain some muscle :)

It's bad that the prospect of doing that gave me lowkey anxiety, right?
  • alexmose2
    steveko89 wrote: »

It gives me anxiety as well. But tbh I don’t have a choice. I think I’d be a weirdo measuring food in the cafeteria. But also....I kinda do want to test.
  • steveko89

It gives me anxiety as well. But tbh I don’t have a choice. I think I’d be a weirdo measuring food in the cafeteria. But also....I kinda do want to test.

I say all that like I'm not terrible with adherence even with as fanatically as I use my scale. I've been in the 176s for 10 days after what had been a nice start to the cut. Calories have crept up by 182/day comparing the last 10 days to the first 10. Still in a deficit but not enough of one to lose at the pace I want; have got to tighten things back up.
  • psuLemon

I say all that like I'm not terrible with adherence even with as fanatically as I use my scale. I've been in the 176s for 10 days after what had been a nice start to the cut. Calories have crept up by 182/day comparing the last 10 days to the first 10. Still in a deficit but not enough of one to lose at the pace I want; have got to tighten things back up.

I feel your pain. I have been struggling with hunger issues. Been trying to add some cardio to buffer the additional calories. Although, i am trying to stay at 1800 -2000 for a bit higher fat loss rate. Maintenance for me is 2600-2800 ish.
  • alexmose2

I feel your pain. I have been struggling with hunger issues. Been trying to add some cardio to buffer the additional calories. Although, i am trying to stay at 1800 -2000 for a bit higher fat loss rate. Maintenance for me is 2600-2800 ish.

that is quite a gap!! good job keeping it up