Vegetables

What’s everyone’s favorite vegetables? I struggle to eat anything besides corn so just trying to get some ideas

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Roasted brussel sprouts.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    I love broccoli, steamed or roasted. Green beans are a favorite. The frozen ones are best. You can put a pat of butter on a big bowl and get a lot of flavor for a relatively small amount of calories. You can throw frozen peas into some pasta dishes. Try frozen peas frozen as a snack. They are cold snd sweet. Sweet potatoes are terrific. I just roast them. You can also make a hash with them. You can get frozen riced cauliflower and sub it in for rice and make a stir fry or fake fried rice. You can cook red, green and yellow bell peppers with onion and eat with pasta or Mexican food like fajitas.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Roasted broccoli. Grilled zucchini. I nearly always use salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to season my vegetables.
    Spinach. I can eat it raw in salad, or I'll wilt it with pasta and tomato sauce.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Green beans, sweet potato, onion, spring onion, potato, water chestnuts.... I like veg😊
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    If you've only ever had a given vegetable boiled to death or from a can, and think it's gross, try it prepared another way. Most vegetables are delicious when roasted, for instance.

Roasted Broccoli
    1. Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).
    2. Get you some broccoli. Fresh, frozen, doesn't matter. (If it *is* frozen, nuke it for a minute or so, just to get the ice off.) If it's not already cut up into florets, do that. Start from the bottom of the head of broccoli - you can see where the stems attach, cut them off there. Broccoli stems are also perfectly edible, just cook them a little longer.
    3. Toss this broccoli with a bit of your favorite cooking oil, along with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like, if desired. I usually use olive oil; 15g is plenty for ~3 cups (~450g) broccoli. My preferred method is to put my florets in a bowl, cover that bowl with another one that fits inside it sort of like a cocktail shaker, and shake for a minute or so, flipping the bowls every so often.
    4. Spread your oiled, seasoned broccoli on a parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Kale Chips
    1. Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).
    2. Get you some kale. Wash it real good, remove the big stems - they're woody and not pleasant to eat. You can rip the leaves off the stems pretty easily, no need to use a knife here or anything.
    3. Dry your kale real good, use a salad spinner or just spread it out and dab it with paper towels.
    4. Toss with about a tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe some paprika or garlic if you're feeling fancy - I use the same bowl trick as above, or use a large tupperware bowl with a secure lid.
    5. Spread your kale on a parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer, and bake for about 10-12 minutes. The leaves crisp up in the oven. It's not a replacement for potato chips, but it is a delicious way to eat a tablespoon of olive oil. (Maybe not everyone devours the entire batch of kale chips in one sitting, but I usually do, no shame.)

Brussels Sprouts
    1. Boil some water. Also, get a big bowl and fill it with ice water, keeping it nearby the boiling water.
    2. Get you some brussels sprouts. Cut them in half, maybe in quarters if they're big.
    3. Place the sprout halves/quarters into the boiling water for like, two minutes. They should turn a lovely bright green color.
    4. Transfer the sprouts immediately into the ice bath to stop them cooking and "fix" that beautiful green hue. Remove from the ice bath and pat dry.
    5. Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
    6. Place your sprout halves/quarters cut-side-down in the oil. Let them sizzle without messing with them for a full 5-8 minutes.
    7. Flip all your sprouts, admire the lovely Maillard reaction that's browned the cut faces, pour a quarter-cup of water or broth into the hot pan, and cover immediately. Leave covered for another 5-8 minutes so that they steam, then serve.
  • darlenep3
    darlenep3 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2021
    What’s everyone’s favorite vegetables? I struggle to eat anything besides corn so just trying to get some ideas

• darlenep3
    darlenep3 Posts: 3 Member
    Sweet baby peas and yams would be a great start for non -veggie lovers.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    @DancingMoosie that looks amazing! What all have we got going on in here? I see cabbage, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, onion, garlic, mushroom and possibly bell pepper? And possibly some bean sprouts but that might just be more cabbage. What kind of sauce/seasoning do you put on your stir fry?
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    Pea,greenbean, corn,carrot,veggie mix, in burritos, spaghetti, stir fry can't go wrong with it.
    Seasoned sauteed/steamed Brocolli taste good in everything too.
    -Seasoning called Sazon is what help me love veggies a little sprinkle, makes veggies taste flavorful& savory, but beware its addictive, I weaned off it,however it was a fail proof for any veggies I tried it on.:)
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    For fast and flavourful, I quick steam long fresh or frozen green beans, drain and finish in a non-stick pan with a few drops of sesame oil, diced onion, ginger root, garlic and a splash of soy sauce. Yum!

Gotta LOOOVE a good stir-fry. I almost always have carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger root, mushrooms and/or some sort of cabbage on hand. I also stock soy, hoisin, chili. plum, oyster and fish sauce - along with a a good collection of dry spices, rice wine/vinegar, taro root, olive, canola and sesame oil. Over rice, noodles, with fish, meat or eggs or just as veg, it's never the same dish twice, but it's always super fast and delicious!

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    I love steamed broccoli and cauliflower with some seasoned salt. I take zucchini and slice it thin, coat lightly with olive oil and season with Tastefully Simple Garlic and Onion seasoning, and some parmesan cheese. Bake it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350° single layer on a baking sheet. I also do asparagus the same way I do zucchini. Cabbage and brussel sprouts just boiled up is also delicious!

I hate peas and green beans, and cookec carrots make me gag.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots (Raw or air fried), assorted squashes, spinach, bell peppers, and bok choy are our standards.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,959 Member
    Oh, man, all of them. Well, except lima beans and seaweed.

Beet greens (the beets are OK, but the greens are excellent) lightly stir-steamed and dressed with a little mustard/vinegar mixed; sweet potatoes (especially in veggie tacos with black beans); Asian long beans steamed and served with some soy sauce and rice vinegar on them; roasted cauliflower; most Winter squash roasted, but especially one called Georgia Candy Roaster . . . . so many. 😋

If you want to be a tourist at the other end of the veggie world from "just corn", maybe browse this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10726786/for-the-love-of-produce/p1
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    So many to choose from! Veggie wonderland! 😉
    Cauliflower is a staple in my house .. also versatile if you want to try it out. I also like making cauli rice bowls with egg mixed in ..

Bell peppers sautéed with anything 😋
    Shrooms! 🍄

I also wholeheartedly love the Produce thread @AnnPT77 mentioned above. 💕
  • mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    I like most veggies. Some of my favorites are baby greens, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, peppers, zucchini, and eggplant. Tomatoes too, but only when in season and sweet!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    "Is corn even a vegetable?" was about to take me into a deep rabbit hole so to quickly answer your question, I'm a fan of garlic and greens.

Also, mushrooms but that's just as confusing as corn so... 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Veggies make up a large portion of my food....nutrient dense and calorically light. I break my fast every day with a large salad full of a variety of veggies. So good and I usually include a generous dose of homegrown sprouts, especially enjoy crunchy mung bean sprouts.