Road runner needing some gear recommendations

I need headphones. I have used the same brand for years but this year I have had to replace them 3 times. They're super inexpensive but I am sort of against fast- tech. I want something that lasts. Caveat- withstands long distance running, rain, sweat, are wireless, Apple phone compatible

Question 2: I need trail shoes. My street runners are not making it and I’m starting to really love a trail run. I have wide af flintstone feet, prefer ridiculous colors, and don’t mind spending money if they’ll last a few seasons. I would probably not put more than 300-500 miles on them every 3 months, unlike my running shoes.

Give me suggestions!!!

Replies

• MikeRunsDaily
    MikeRunsDaily Posts: 20 Member
    I just got aftershockz head phones and I’m a big fan. You don’t wear them in your ear so you can still hear what’s going on around you if you want. As for shoes, I’m in the same boat, I bought some and they didn’t work. I’m also on the hunt for them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I like my Aftershokz. My first pair did fail but the company was quick to send a free replacement.

I recently picked up the BO$E sunglasses and I freaking love them. They have little speakers so they are not exactly headphone or bone conductors. They sound great and the battery lasts forever (made it thru a 9 hour trail run last weekend).

For trail shoes you will have to find the ones you like. There are so many it's hard to recommend. I'm a huge Salomon fan. I know others that love their Hokas (I hate them :-1: ). I suggest going to a local store that and see what's there. If you are in the US REI is a great place to start.

Good luck.
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I like my Aftershokz. My first pair did fail but the company was quick to send a free replacement.

I recently picked up the BO$E sunglasses and I freaking love them. They have little speakers so they are not exactly headphone or bone conductors. They sound great and the battery lasts forever (made it thru a 9 hour trail run last weekend).

For trail shoes you will have to find the ones you like. There are so many it's hard to recommend. I'm a huge Salomon fan. I know others that love their Hokas (I hate them :-1: ). I suggest going to a local store that and see what's there. If you are in the US REI is a great place to start.

Good luck.

I hate Hokas too. They’re like running on mattresses. Thanks!
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    Can't help with headphones, not run using them in a good while and when I did they were cheapo wired ones.

As for shoes, my trail ones are Innov8 Roclites. Loads of grip and not full of cushioning either - probably due to them being pretty lightweight (the clues in the name).
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Q1 - I really love my Apple airpods for running. They're expensive, but they fit my ears really nicely. I also recommend the Power Beats wireless headphones. I personally wasn't as keen on the wire behind my neck, but I'm very fussy. Sound quality on them is great.

Can't help on trail shoes though I'm afraid!
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    I run with very, VERY inexpensive earbuds from SoundPeats.

IPX67 so sweat and rain are a breeze. The connectition is stable and they last about 6 hours on the True Wireless and about 10 hours on the BT wired ones.
    The BT wired I really put it through the ringer. Walked into the shower with it several times and stepped on one of them snapping them in 2 pieces. Superglued them together again, Still working. I think the model is Q23. I thoroughly recommend the brand.

AS far as shoes go, the most comfortable for me and my wide Shrek feet is Mixuno Prophecy and UnderArmour - Sonic 3 for rainy days, Phantom for Dry days in the road.

For Trail, i use Mizuno Mujin and Under Armour Velociti (Not a Typo :) )

Hope This helps.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    I loved my Salomon Speedcross 4. I'm a little less thrilled with my Speedcross 5, but think it's the additional weight I'm carrying now, the fact that we're exclusively road running (boooo) and that my body isn't properly conditioned. So I got Brooks Ghost 13 for road running after a gait analysis; these resolved the issues I was having, but I can't wait to break the trail shoes out again.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I have jabra elite 65t wireless headphones and love them for running. I’ve had them for 3 months so not tested for long term durability yet but I’m hopeful.

I’m not much help for trail shoes I’m afraid. I do have a pair of Icebug Pytho5 BUGrip but more for winter running than trail running as such. Most of my runs are mixed surface and I use my favourite ASICS gel cumulus 21 all year long unless it’s super muddy or, like right now, covered in ice/slush/deep snow. These are my second pair of icebugs with BUGrip and I’m pleased with them.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    If you like a wide toe box, you might like Altra Lone Peaks. I would second that you should try them on in a store. Keep in mind that trail shoes are going to be a lot more rigid than your road shoes, as most people are looking for grip over cushion on trails. Trail shoes are less likely to come in crazy colors than road shoes, but the all end up being the color of dirt pretty quickly anyway.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I was going to suggest Lone Peak as well. But depending on which particular version, you may find them a little sloppy. I wear 4.0 because they are literally the only trail shoes that my feet fit in. Altra shoes in general are far too narrow for me. As are “wide” shoes of nearly every brand. So if your feet aren’t quite that wide, you might find the Lone Peak (or at least the 4,0) to be a poor fit (and downhill in sloppy-fit shoes is a whole different kind of exhilarating).

What are your road shoes?

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I’m another vote for aftershokz. I couldn’t see what the fuss was about until I got a pair as a gift, now I wouldn’t consider anything else.