Accountability buddy

Replies

• highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    @kmccrom I have been working a hybrid work schedule, two days in the office, three at home. I get way more steps in on my office days and there's a fitness center here that I try to use after my work hours or during my lunch. I also only eat what I bring with me. Those things add up to make meeting my goals a little easier. But like @etolv pointed out, I am much more active for longer periods of time on the weekends, but I also tend to make different eating choices. It might all be a great tossup really, lol.

@etolv I really like your insight about treating exercise and activity as a celebration. I find that doing active things with my family is much more enjoyable because I go in it excited to be doing something with them. I do sometimes go into a workout with a goal to burn x amount of calories so that I can eat something I'm looking forward to. I'm not sure if that falls under the celebration or punishment umbrella, but it's definitely similar to dangling a carrot in front of a donkey!
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    Hello all!
    This past week I took a 2 mile walk most days. It was nice to just get out of the house and be alone for a bit. Not sure if this going to be enough to budge the scale into goal territory or not but I don’t really care. I like it so I’m going to keep at it most days.

I adjusted my calorie budget to see if that will make a difference on not. I feel like I had too many but also wasn’t eating them all. I don’t know which is better to have less overall calories but eat them all and sometimes go over or have more and don’t eat them all? Something I’ll have to tweak as the weeks go by.

I really need to figure out my weekends. I do soooo good with eating healthy all week long but then the weekends come and I over do it 😣 Next weekend I’m really going to try to figure out how to treat myself in a more healthy way. This weekend is a lost cause 🤣

Here are my goals for the week
    *Continue to log my food
    *Go for 2 mile walk most days
    *Get back on the stationary bike at least 1 time
    *Don’t have an alcoholic beverage every night
    *No night snacking! Drink tea instead
    *Drink more water
  • highmaintnance
    @beshamama my vote would be to have my calorie goal what it should be and then sometimes go over. Even if you go over a bit, you should only lose less, not gain, because of the deficit that's built in. Another thought is that you might be eating too few calories during the week and are truly really hungry by the weekend so you eat more. Or you deprive yourself of something you love (like sweets?) all week so you go overboard on the weekend. I guess my long winded (sorry) point is that you should sit down and really think about the reasons you are doing what you don't want to do anymore to figure out a plan to keep it from happening.

I did really well last week. I switched to weekly grocery shopping so that I always have fresh stuff to eat. I got a subscription to Every Plate and my first box arrived last week. The food was good, didn't take long to cook and each meal came with veggies. I think I'll keep going with it. I was able to meet my goal of 30 minutes of activity at least three days. Overall I just feel better.

This week's goals: drink my water goal every day; 30 minutes of activity four days; no drive thrus
  • bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    Goals Jan Week 2

1) 75oz of water daily
    2) read book daily
    3) stick to training plan that I purchased and never completed 😅
  • bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    kmccrom wrote: »
    Which is easier for you in terms of meeting goals... work days or days off?
    Work days For sure!!! I think because it more structured and weekend I feel free, I’m working on trying to make more of routine as far as fitness is concerned on the weekends
  • lucyellis1519
    lucyellis1519 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hey! I'm 22 and want to lose 20lbs, and break through a weight loss plateau :# If anyone wants an accountability/motivation buddy let me know!
    And if anyone has any tips or stories about overcoming a plateau whilst increasing calories please message me! <3:s
  • beshamama
    @highmaintnance thanks for your insights. I’m pretty sure that I’m using food and drinks as a reward for making it through another week of pandemic living 🤣 I really need to find another outlet. Or maybe exercise more on the weekends 🤷‍♀️
  • highmaintnance
    @beshamama I use food as a reward too! It's terrible but I can't think of a good substitute that is as quick and exciting, lol. I find myself doing that to my daughter too. Something good happened at school, let's go get ice cream. Had no emotional breakdowns this week, let's go somewhere special to eat. Let me know when you find something that is a comparable substitute!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    @beshamama and @highmaintnance - It’s so hard to break ingrained habits of using food as a reward! This week, my sons returned to college and I found myself asking them if they wanted to eat any special meals before they left, whether they wanted me to bake a treat for the trip, etc. In the end, my younger son opted out of any ‘treats’ during his drive back to school but I helped him with laundry and shuttling luggage to the car. My older son picked a relatively healthy ‘last dinner’ and traveling lunch option (and ended up leaving the lunch on the counter anyway ☺️). I’m trying to move toward better ‘care packages’ but it’s so easy to add candy and typical treat items - that are often unhealthy - to show we’re thinking of them. I asked them what they’d like me to send and they suggested some specific items that our family likes but that are more difficult to find near campus.

@kmccrom - I agree with @bumpbreakcar that it’s easier to stay on track during the week. The transition back to life at home following our 2-week family trip has been tough because I’ve had to adjust my schedule so much.

I didn’t do a great job reaching my daily calorie targets. I went over the target but ate at maintenance level so I was still at 135 pounds this week on my weigh in day.

@lucyellis1519 - I might be on track to set the MFP record based on my current weight loss plateau! I’m game to figure out a strategy for breaking through this together. I’m quarantining for two weeks (starting last Friday) since we just returned from a trip. Once I can get back to the gym and physical therapy (PT), I’m hoping to get into a rhythm with more activity added to each day. I’m planning some walking this week along with Telehealth for PT. Let’s see how well I can improve now that my sons are back at college. Best wishes for reaching your goals this week, everyone!
  • Kazza5066
    Kazza5066 Posts: 1 Member
    entracy wrote: »
    @hokeapril1234 & @candacepw Me three! Let me know if you want to start a group!

I need help too. I have 25lbs to lose and finding the loss following the macro diet really slow going.... safe but slow.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Hello! Hope everyone is doing well. :) I didn't want to go for my run today, even though on Sunday/Monday I felt SO COMMITTED!! Than, a friend didn't let me give into my excuses for not wanting to go, and I went for my run.

I'm so glad I did, because it was down right MILD outside! I would have regretted not going. (I should write down my reasons for WANTING to do this!!) I hope everyone else had someone who believed in them today. <3

If you didn't, *I* believe in you! We have these magnificent bodies! Sometimes I marvel at the fact that we can eat and breathe, and our bodies KNOW what to do with these things, and can even (more or less) deal with the not so great things we consume. What a freakin' miracle/coincidence that all this has even occurred! :lol:

Time for some night yoga for me. I've been sitting for too long.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @Steph_135 - Thanks for taking the time to share your motivating experience. I appreciate the uplifting message of support you posted here as a way to spread the positive influence of your friend!

@Kazza5066 and @lucyellis1519 - Welcome to you both ... and any other new members who have joined this Accountability buddy thread. I hope you’re week is going well. Please let us know if you have any specific goals you set to reach your longer term weight loss goals so we can check in and encourage you along the way. We’ll look forward to hearing about your progress!
  • beshamama
    Hello all! Time for my weekly check in.
    I was successful in logging my food most days this week. Was also under a lot of the time! Not sure if it was accurate or not. I have a kitchen scale and should weigh my food but I’m not there yet. I went for a walk most days...not 2 miles just short little walks but I did this on purpose so I could walk with my hubby on his lunch break. I did get back on the stationary a couple of times. I tried something new these times. I just leisurely pedaled the whole time. Still got sweaty but wasn’t pedaling like I was being chased 🤣 I didn’t feel sad after. Again maybe not the best workout but mentally was much better. I stuck to not having a drink every night except on Wed my knit group meets up on zoom and I always drink more on these days. 🤦‍♀️ I forgot about that and didn’t have something different to do planned so I ended up having multiple drinks. Tonight my hubby and I are meeting up with friends via zoom. Again this is usually a time when we drink too much but I am prepared this time! After I finish every drink I’m going to have a glass of water, or kombucha, or sparkling water. This was my trick in the before times when I could go out to bars. That way I made sure I really only had 2 drinks and felt ok to drive when it was time to go.

I started reading “French Women don’t get fat” I like her philosophy. Not to deprive myself of anything but don’t overindulge. Don’t go for 2nds at meals. Don’t finish everything on your plate unless you served yourself small portions. Eat fresh fruit and veggies. Don’t ever be hungry because that’s when you just eat everything without abandon. Snack on plain yogurt. This next time I go grocery shopping I’m going to buy a bunch of leeks and try her “magical leek soup” next weekend. It will apparently help me to lose a bunch of water weight right away which will be a nice little boost. We’ll see I’ll try it and let you know how it goes 😊
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Hey!!!! I just realised I havent checked in here since SEPTEMBER!!! Its great to still see so many recognisable names!!! I'm restarting my commitment to myself as I can feel motivation starting to wane and some bad habits creeping back in....
    Im still regularly working out in the gym (or currently on zoom because lockdown) but Ive let the additional stuff slide a little, and because I stopped weighing everything xmas meant I let a Few too many extra treats sneak in!! So I need to lose a few lb to get back to where I was in the summer, and Im going to track for just a week or two to get my portions back under control :)

Need my motivation buddies though!!!

@PatriceFitnessPal well done you on holding the fort here all this time! Your commitment is amazing!!!! Xxx
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Greetings to all and happy Martin Luther king day here in the US.

I enjoyed people sharing about how weekdays or weekends differ in terms of eating. @etolv i appreciate what you said about exercise as celebration. I do feel that way about it too.

It’s been a strange couple of weeks. Definitely I’ve had a couple of bingy moments that left me feeling discouraged. I will not give up.

My goals for the week are to keep logging and to eat regularly. When I skip meals I get ravenous and eat too much. I also want to eat more salads. I love them but sometimes in winter I get lazy. I’ve been craving sugar and I’m not sure what goal to set about that... if I should try to abstain for a while or maybe find some healthy non processed alternatives. Still thinking on that.

The conversation about food as reward was helpful to me. Definitely during this pandemic I have seen food as a source of pleasure within our limited reality. Don’t want to give up on enjoying food but do want to shift that dynamic.

Have a great week everyone!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    @beshamama - Thanks for the good ideas on managing alcohol calories in social situations, and overcoming a dip in exercise motivation. I like the idea of getting over a hump by just getting on the bike (or pursuing some other activity) without setting our expectation too high. It sounds as though your good habits sustained you well through a tough time. Are you still knitting while using the stationary bike? That image makes me smile, even though I could never do it!

@kiay131982 - I’ve been thinking about you!! ... It’s great to have you back during your ‘tune up’ time and I appreciate seeing how quickly you’re able to respond positively to the way your body feels BEFORE bad habits creep back in ... I’ll look forward to your updates and motivating one another. As you noted, it’s SO reassuring to have a familiar group for support and this group is great!!
    Everyone is welcoming and supportive, while still adding a helpful nudge or gentle reminder to keep us on track. I appreciate my Accountability buddies so much !

@kmccrom - I feel such a kindred spirit in you!! I also get ravenous if I don’t maintain consistent nutrition throughout the day. I found afternoon to be the most dangerous time for me, especially if I get carried away with work and end up hypoglycemic, which encourages me to snack on carbs or quick energy foods while preparing dinner, etc. An afternoon snack of yogurt, fruit or some other sweet-but-somewhat-healthy snack has helped. I’m also putting some thought into cutting down on my sugar fix and I’ve had some success in the past with cutting it out and eventually not missing it much at all ... Similar to coffee, I feel some initial discomfort through the withdrawal process, but end up with more energy. I have to be in a really special ‘headspace’ to tackle that experience though ... So, for now, I’m just gradually testing new afternoon snacks to see how I feel. For example, I might add a small bit of chopped nuts on top of fruit and yogurt to sustain me, recognizing that a snack of nuts alone usually leads to extra calories and [good, but still] fat. Anyway, I’ll be interested to learning more based on how things go for you in this area.

I’ll post new goals soon. I’ve been working to incorporate a few other self-improvement and personal growth habits - and I’m still trying to get new footing with the transition to winter fitness - so I don’t want to go ‘down the rabbit hole’ of trying to cover too much now. My posts are always so long and rambling enough as it is!! 🤪 ... Unfortunately, for you all, that’s not one of the goals I’m ready to work on yet!! 😂🤣😂. So, I’ll just end by saying things are pretty much the same. I’m still at 135 pounds, which feels healthy and close to my goal, so I’m fairly comfortable about just ‘staying the course.’ Once I get some of the other new goals underway, I’ll reassess. In the meantime, I welcome your ideas! Thanks for being here and I’ll look forward to connecting again soon with an update.
  • breemat12
    breemat12 Posts: 10 Member
    Hey everyone. I’m Bree. My goal is to lose 40lbs and gain strength. I need some accountability buddies! Add me as a friend: breemat12
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Hi! I’m Theresa. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I kept telling myself, if I go five pounds over my limit then I’ll try dieting and exercise. Nope. Next I told myself, if I go ten pounds, then it was fifteen and then twenty. Sound familiar??
    Tried Noom’s 14 day trial to kick off the good habits. Learned about MyFitnessPal and have been logging ever since.
    Let’s keep each other motivated!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @breemat12 and @TheresaM787 - WELCOME! It’s good to have you here. Usually, we post our goals and then check in to report our progress. I’m 54 years old (female) and my stats and goals are:

Height= 5’4” (163cm)
    Current weight = 135 pounds (61kg)
    Goal weight = 125 (57kg)

My weekly goals include some related to health and others about overall improvement for 2021:

(1) Eat within my daily calorie goal all seven days.
    (2) Send two cards & five texts or email messages to stay in touch with friends & family
    (3) Clean out two boxes of items to toss/donate
    (4) Complete at least one task for business or career development (from ‘personal growth’ list)
    (5) Meet with personal trainer 2x and physical therapy (PT) 2x and PT home exercises at least 2x
    BONUS: Soccer on Sunday, walk with friend, etc.

I also need to look at the gym schedule to see if I can safely work in some cardio workouts. I think I can fit that in this week but I’m just leaving it with the bonus items until I’m sure I can achieve the six priority items I set for this week. This is a higher number of goals than usual for me so I might check in an extra day this week to help me stay accountable. How is everyone else doing?

Go get those goals, Accountability buddies! I’m pulling for you and sending positive energy your way!!
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Thanks Patrice!
    Hi everyone, thanks for having me!!

Current Weight 132 pounds
    Goal Wright 120 pounds

Goals
    - Drink at least 64 oz of water daily. Currently drinking an average of 36 oz. (which is up from 8oz).
    - Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables.
    - Peloton for at least 7 miles a day.
    - Step count 10,000. Currently averaging 2,300 steps.
    - Stay within calorie goal. Usually go over by 200 calories.
    - Laugh more!

We can do this!