What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    This might be unpopular and might trigger some, but I'm not fond of Trader Joe's products

Not "triggered", but just confused as to how you are not fond of an entire grocery store's range of products. It's not like they specialize in one type of product. The Trader Joe's branded products all come from different suppliers, so it just seems like a pretty wide brush to say you don't like all of them.

There are products that I like from there, and some I don't, like you could say about any grocery store.

There's been quite a big wand-touch to this thread from the over-generalization fairy, IMO. 🙄
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    🧚
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    This might be unpopular and might trigger some, but I'm not fond of Trader Joe's products

We don't have one here and I always wonder how good it is

LORD JESUS bless

It’s a grocery store, but just a bit quirky. I like it because it has so many pumpkin things in the fall,prominently displayed. I’m sure they do the same thing for Christmas, spring, summer, etc. not sure what they have for those seasons. They have a bigger variety of cheeses than the grocery stores near me, but mozzarella is mozzarella, wherever you get it. Our TJ’s has
    Very little fresh beef, my favorite meat. It’s about 2 miles from my dentist, so would be easy for me to go twice a year. I go once—for the pumpkin.
  • AnnPT77

LORD JESUS bless

It’s a grocery store, but just a bit quirky. I like it because it has so many pumpkin things in the fall,prominently displayed. I’m sure they do the same thing for Christmas, spring, summer, etc. not sure what they have for those seasons. They have a bigger variety of cheeses than the grocery stores near me, but mozzarella is mozzarella, wherever you get it. Our TJ’s has
    Very little fresh beef, my favorite meat. It’s about 2 miles from my dentist, so would be easy for me to go twice a year. I go once—for the pumpkin.

Um, no. Sure, the same brand/quality is the same everywhere, but there are quite a few types of mozzarella, and a range of goodness in different producers' versions of each type.

I'm not speaking for TJ's mozz - good or bad - here, just disagreeing with the generality.

To state another generality: Pretty much any cheese variety or style is available in a range from pretty awful quality, to pretty delicious. (Different people prefer different types, of course; and I'm not saying everyone will agree on which version of which variety is best, either. But "the same everywhere" across a variety of varieties/versions, or even with a variety . . . not agreeing with that.)
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

LORD JESUS bless

Um, no. Sure, the same brand/quality is the same everywhere, but there are quite a few types of mozzarella, and a range of goodness in different producers' versions of each type.

I'm not speaking for TJ's mozz - good or bad - here, just disagreeing with the generality.

To state another generality: Pretty much any cheese variety or style is available in a range from pretty awful quality, to pretty delicious. (Different people prefer different types, of course; and I'm not saying everyone will agree on which version of which variety is best, either. But "the same everywhere" across a variety of varieties/versions, or even with a variety . . . not agreeing with that.)

I, too, disagree with this. Cheese is like chocolate and wine. Terroir is everything
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    And maybe that’s part of why I’m not a really good cook
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

LORD JESUS bless

I, too, disagree with this. Cheese is like chocolate and wine. Terroir is everything

Maker matters hugely, too. Same inputs (same terroir), different maker, methods: Results can be very different.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Sriracha is not good. It was so trendy for a long time. Sriracha flavored popcorn, chips, etc.

I LOVE hot sauce and put it on everything, but only Franks or anchor bar buffalo sauce.
  • pancakerunner
    Sriracha is not good. It was so trendy for a long time. Sriracha flavored popcorn, chips, etc.

I LOVE hot sauce and put it on everything, but only Franks or anchor bar buffalo sauce.

See, I prefer tabasco! but only on very limited things.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited January 2021

I do not like tabasco (unpopular) - I'm a sambal oelek fan and use Frank's original (only that one)...I put that sh*&^t! on everything!

I buy this one and always have it in my cupboard...6nr4wa7vexaw.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I do not like tabasco (unpopular) - I'm a sambal oelek fan and use Frank's original (only that one)...I put that sh*&^t! on everything!

I buy this one and always have it in my cupboard...6nr4wa7vexaw.png
    Same, I buy it in the giant jug too !! 😅

@pancakerunner ahh I hate tabasco! I used to always be so mad when I’d go to a restaurant and all they had was Tabasco lol. I like the sweetness of Frank’s.
  • pancakerunner
    flroezne9xgi.png
    ^^^ this is the hot sauce i put on my stuff
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I like a huge variety of different hot sauces, including sriracha. (I don't think that's unpopular, but wanted to stand up for sriracha.)

actual sriracha has it's place, but sriracha FLAVORED things are a little over rated
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I can agree with that.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Freeze-dried durian is horrible, imho.
  • AnnPT77
    flroezne9xgi.png
    ^^^ this is the hot sauce i put on my stuff

Um, why does the "hot" sauce say "mild" about eleventy-seven times all over it? 😉😆

(Just joking around, no serious criticism intended - I have no doubt it's tasty. 🙂 Me, I like good things across the whole gamut of the tomato-condiment range, from catsup all the way to "ouch" in Asian, Mexican, Indian, Jamaican, NOLA and other variants.)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Do not like white chocolate
  • pancakerunner
    okay, not really an unpopular opinion but more just an annoyance... I feel like there are WAY too many "healthy" baking mixes on the market now.
  • pancakerunner
    I like steak sauce (A1, heinz 57, etc.) just not on steak! haha