Different muscle growth based on body type?

Options
Wondering if anyone knows if your body type (Ectomorph, Endomorph, mosomorph) relates to how you build muscle on your body? Specifically how high the muscle sticks up vs more flat. I recently found out some people grow muscle more close to bone and other people’s muscles are longer close to bone. Not sure the correct term. I have seen some lean people that work out regularly and don’t have those explosive muscles that stick out but are very strong. I have a body type that is prone to more fat and harder to gain muscle but have put some on and gained good strength. Interested though if I was to lose body fat, if my muscles would pop more. Seems that would be important if doing a bodybuilding competition.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Body type is not actually a thing that is meaningful to anything else except you appear a certain way.

Where the muscle attaches, as well as genetically if you have big muscle belly, as well as lifting style to emphasize hypertrophy or strength - that all is going to effect what shows when the fat is gone.

Very different lifting programs for body builders showing the muscle, to strength trainers using the muscle in max efforts.

That has more to do with your observation of flat compared to popping.
    And natural versus doped.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    "Wondering if anyone knows if your body type (Ectomorph, Endomorph, mesomorph) relates to how you build muscle on your body?"

No it's complete woo, somatotypes have nothing to do with it.

Yes different people have different tendon attachment points and tendon length if that's what you refer to, flexing your bicep is a nice clear example, some people will have longer/shorter tendons and that does influence what your muscle look like when flexed. How many fingers you can put between your bicep and your elbow will vary between individuals.

People also respond differently to training but that's nothing to do with 'morphs.
  • jesselee10
    jesselee10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks, tendon attachment is what I was thinking. I definitely can see it when people flex their biceps. I would think those people have an advantage in the body building competitions than those whose muscles are attached lower.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    Yes thanks, tendon attachment is what I was thinking. I definitely can see it when people flex their biceps. I would think those people have an advantage in the body building competitions than those whose muscles are attached lower.

Any competitive athlete from bodybuilder to you name it that is competing on a relatively high level has a huge genetic component going on. Training only takes you so far...competitive athletes at a high level pretty much always have a high degree of natural ability that just needs to be harnessed with proper training.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone knows if your body type (Ectomorph, Endomorph, mosomorph) relates to how you build muscle on your body? Specifically how high the muscle sticks up vs more flat. I recently found out some people grow muscle more close to bone and other people’s muscles are longer close to bone. Not sure the correct term. I have seen some lean people that work out regularly and don’t have those explosive muscles that stick out but are very strong. I have a body type that is prone to more fat and harder to gain muscle but have put some on and gained good strength. Interested though if I was to lose body fat, if my muscles would pop more. Seems that would be important if doing a bodybuilding competition.

If you have excess body fat overlying your muscles, and you do have muscle development, sure they'll show more if you lose some of the fat. Why bodybuilders lean out before competition, isn't it? But it depends on what appearance you're going for.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mesomorph if I train arms for a week the following week my muscles are bulging ,I look ripped and cut, the slightest movement and I appear like I'm flexing, I know it's ideal to some people but it's to me, as a female it sucks I don't want to look ripped, my sister is Mesomorph too, hardcore she doesn't even lift, but she's ripped, cut arms, six pack, visibly toned,.. guess it runs in the family...So not sure why folks are saying the types aren't real, they realistically are, very real.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Options
    There is truth to it, whether you want to believe it or not, the OP does and I do too. My body has all the characteristics of a Mesomorph body type, sure I can deny it, and deny the whole theory but why? And Ofcourse
    There's no body typing system that can match, exactly every single human body as this or that, obviously, however on a broad scale, similarities can be seen. I've never had to work to have muscle definition, underweight,average weight and now overweight I have it, and I'v always remained w/ muscle definition. Body type system has help me know why that is, and it helped me come to terms with my athletic build, instead of trying to avoid it, I allow it to work for me, I stopped trying to get a curvy figure, and im just trying to now, achieve my best body.

-Body typing is a fitness tool, if someone can relate to the characteristics and find use in it, whats the problem? And also, respectfully, who cares if another person thinks its real or not?

• coffee_n_weights
    coffee_n_weights Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Some people have more fast twitch muscle fibers while others have more slow twitch (genetic). People with more fast-twitch fibers may gain more growth faster. I have two sons, two years apart (18 and 20) - both workout hard, and my younger (with even less work put in) can put on "muscle" much faster than his older brother, although the oldest is stronger. Not sure about the whole endo/ecto/eso morph thing, like others have mentioned.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Some people have more fast twitch muscle fibers while others have more slow twitch (genetic). People with more fast-twitch fibers may gain more growth faster. I have two sons, two years apart (18 and 20) - both workout hard, and my younger (with even less work put in) can put on "muscle" much faster than his older brother, although the oldest is stronger. Not sure about the whole endo/ecto/eso morph thing, like others have mentioned.
    This is true. Women tend to carry more "slow twitch" fibers then men, hence their adaptability to cardio based exercise is usually easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Kaysmile012015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There is truth to it, whether you want to believe it or not, the OP does and I do too. My body has all the characteristics of a Mesomorph body type, sure I can deny it, and deny the whole theory but why? And Ofcourse
    There's no body typing system that can match, exactly every single human body as this or that, obviously, however on a broad scale, similarities can be seen. I've never had to work to have muscle definition, underweight,average weight and now overweight I have it, and I'v always remained w/ muscle definition. Body type system has help me know why that is, and it helped me come to terms with my athletic build, instead of trying to avoid it, I allow it to work for me, I stopped trying to get a curvy figure, and im just trying to now, achieve my best body.

-Body typing is a fitness tool, if someone can relate to the characteristics and find use in it, whats the problem? And also, respectfully, who cares if another person thinks its real or not?
    Somatotyping is bunk. Do you even know who developed it? It wasn't a physiologist. It was a psychologist BASED on nude photos taken way back. So think about this. If someone was skinny growing up, but now obese, do you deem their obese body as endomorph? Because in the beginning they were ectomorph. Look a Kirstie Alley for example. What is her somatotype?
    You CAN'T change your structure. Bone length, muscle insertion, frame structure are all set. When someone tells me they can't lose weight because they are "big boned" or an "endomorph" I have to roll my eyes inside. The fitness and diet industry has all these "tags" so people can be LURED into a certain type of training or diet to MAKE MONEY. Sorry if you don't want to believe that as the truth, but it is. Having done this for over 35+ years, I've seen it all. And every couple of years a NEW selling fad happens. Right now it's gut biome and keto. The fitness industry is creative and it has to be to make billions of dollars a year.
    Accept it or not, but hopefully others that read it won't feel they are catagorized into a type.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There are different of obese body shapes and types, so No, if a person becomes obese they don't become ENDO they remain what they are just with more fat, Either way I believe in aspects of body types, even if its been "bunked" as I stated it was, and is a useful tool for me, And personally I would never train with a trainer that wouldnt acknowledge my body type, but hey, that's just me.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Somatotyping is bunk. Do you even know who developed it? It wasn't a physiologist. It was a psychologist BASED on nude photos taken way back. So think about this. If someone was skinny growing up, but now obese, do you deem their obese body as endomorph? Because in the beginning they were ectomorph. Look a Kirstie Alley for example. What is her somatotype?
    You CAN'T change your structure. Bone length, muscle insertion, frame structure are all set. When someone tells me they can't lose weight because they are "big boned" or an "endomorph" I have to roll my eyes inside. The fitness and diet industry has all these "tags" so people can be LURED into a certain type of training or diet to MAKE MONEY. Sorry if you don't want to believe that as the truth, but it is. Having done this for over 35+ years, I've seen it all. And every couple of years a NEW selling fad happens. Right now it's gut biome and keto. The fitness industry is creative and it has to be to make billions of dollars a year.
    Accept it or not, but hopefully others that read it won't feel they are catagorized into a type.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There are different of obese body shapes and types, so No, if a person becomes obese they don't become ENDO they remain what they are just with more fat, Either way I believe in aspects of body types, even if its been "bunked" as I stated it was, and is a useful tool for me, And personally I would never train with a trainer that wouldnt acknowledge my body type, but hey, that's just me.

So you would only work with a trainer that spouted bro-science nonsense about something that has no backing in science and has been thoroughly debunked by the scientific community?

If this is the way they see it, No I wouldn't work with the trainer. Lots of trainers acknowledge body type, (some I follow on social media) so ill just pick one that does, no need to debate it after the fact.