Vegetables

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I like most vegetables...actually, not sure there's one I don't like. We tend to eat a lot of broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower as they are pretty hardy and keep for a bit in the fridge. I like asparagus as well, but that's more of a buy it and eat it within a day or two kind of thing. Also, spring mix greens and spinach...but again, gotta eat them quick before they go bad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2021
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    "Is corn even a vegetable?" was about to take me into a deep rabbit hole so to quickly answer your question, I'm a fan of garlic and greens.

Also, mushrooms but that's just as confusing as corn so... 🤷🏿‍♀️

It's a delicious whole grain...but I also consider grains to be vegetables...
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited January 2021
    My mind went to second hand lion for a second there.
    I prefer fresh vegetables that are either steamed or cooked in a stir fry like way. Not sure why but I've been in a kick where I will cook fresh spinach with garlic salt and then make eggs over medium ... so freaking good
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Cambodian beef lok lak is a great way to eat lots of salad ingredients.
    l8aott06aqxg.jpeg

• suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Are you trying to eat more veggies or eat more vegetables as side dishes?

The cheese soup mentioned above is a great way to eat more veggies. Or add shredded veggies like carrots or zucchini, to spaghetti sauces or chili.

You were given some great suggestions for how to prepare cooked veggies. My favorites are roasted, stir fried or steamed. But if you aren’t a fan, try eating them raw. I love snacking on colored peppers, carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas.

Giant salads with everything cut small blends the flavors and textures. Same with stir frys.

Good luck! I did not care for cooked veggies until I got older. My mom just cooked them one way and they were bland mush. If you are open to exploring new ways to prepare them, I’m sure you’ll find some you enjoy.
  • Lazygirly
    Lazygirly Posts: 23 Member
    zucchini/broccoli with Coconut Aminos drizzled on top. so good.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm on a bok choy and mushroom kick at the moment, but tomatoes and spinach are long-time faves.

And for the record, corn is technically a grain and has the starchy carbs worthy of it's rice and wheat cousins :-)

• acrylicfox
    acrylicfox Posts: 295 Member
    Vegetable curry is a good way to get a bowl of mixed veg with a predictable taste.
    Diced pumpkin on its own makes a very nice yellow/Japanese style curry (I fry onion with the curry paste/spices to start, then add stock and pumpkin)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    @DancingMoosie that looks amazing! What all have we got going on in here? I see cabbage, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, onion, garlic, mushroom and possibly bell pepper? And possibly some bean sprouts but that might just be more cabbage. What kind of sauce/seasoning do you put on your stir fry?

Yes, you got most of it right! No bean sprouts and the peppers are Poblano. I also use coconut oil, ginger, a little sriracha, Bragg's, and panda express stir fry sauce.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    No faves, eat all veggies but prefer those that are cheaper & easier 2 prepare.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I love basically all veggies. They add so much color and flavor to everything.
    I eat various leafy salads and chopped salads.
    I add them to basically every meal. I eat round cucumbers for easy snacks. I love cucumbers and ranch. Veggie, meat and cheese omelets, veggie pizza, zucchini in my lasagna, chopped vegetables in spaghetti sauce.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Vegetable pie.78uek4csxeqd.jpg
  • snowflake954
    edited January 2021
    or Pasta and broccoletti.a0bwbl2cs96m.jpg
  • snowflake954
    edited January 2021
    Stuffed zucchini is always good.yri43j3bosdb.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    On the burnt vegetables theme, the oven is not the only way to do it. This is one of my favourite things to do with cabbage.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/burnt-butter-cabbage

and salad (you can use a cast iron griddle pan indoors as well as the BBQ specified here)

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/grilled_romaine_lettuce/
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    acpgee wrote: »

@acpgee I own a wok that I purchased when I worked for Cost Plus Imports 40 years ago and it is well seasoned. Thanks for the inspiration. I will be working on my charring skills starting tonight. <3
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2021
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    When my son was going through a picky eating phase, I used to make "cheese soup". I cooked a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (I used the broccoli/cauliflower/carrot blend, but any mixture would work) in a box of broth. I seasoned with salt and pepper. When the vegetables were cooked, I added a bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Then I blended it with my immersion blender. He still raves about my cheese soup to this day (he now knows the ingredients, and thanks to much hard work and patience, is no longer a picky eater).

My mom makes this same soup but with fresh steamed broccoli and zucchini! Soo good. She makes it with vegan cheddar to make it dairy free.

fqrk351prx6u.jpg
    o7sewd4dbthz.jpg