Looking for like-minded friends, HAES (Health At Every Size)

Hello,

I've started tracking my food and exercising, and the main reason is because I want to have a good relationship for my body. I think mental health and accepting that a number isn't a definitive indicator of your happiness or health is not only key, but necessary. Unfortunately, when it comes to websites like this, the majority of the users are all about counting calories and pushing weight loss above all else.

I am 28 years old and I have been obese my entire adult life, and only now that I have come to terms with who I am and how I look have I been mentally able to get myself to be more careful about what I eat and make the effort to move my body. MFP has really helped me keep a tab on what I am eating, as I'm sure a lot of people can relate with just eating out of boredom, emotion, etc. This journey isn't about starving myself (until i inevitably binge), or working myself to the bone (until I hurt myself and give up). For me, it is about moving toward having a good relationship with food and gradually getting to where I can more comfortably move my body.

I have lost 27 pounds so far (314 -> 287). It's coming off slowly, but that's okay, because I'm doing it in a sustainable way where I won't crash and burn from going too hard or putting absurd restrictions on myself.

I'm pretty much rambling, but I just want to find some friends on here that are more about the journey than the actual weight loss, so we can maybe talk or I can just be happy to see your progress from time to time. :smile:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Hi, and welcome to MFP. I like your attitude! Congratulations on your success so far: That's wonderful!

I haven't spent time on other sites, but I think you'll find that at least the old hands on MFP - people who've been losing weight generally successfully for a while, or have lost and are maintaining - are not "all about counting calories and pushing weight loss above all else". Some still count, sure (I do), but some don't. And you'll see "make it easy, take it gradually" over and over in threads, with an emphasis on sustainability and health.

Are there some "pedal to the metal, fast loss at any costs" posts? Sure, but they're most often new folks or in the honeymoon phase (first month or two). Those posts tend to draw push-back from people who urge a more moderate course, IME.

I'm not a great MFP friend-candidate (for one, I'm mostly a Community forum kind of gal, for two, I'm in a very different demographic from you (age 65, maintaining healthy weight for 5 years or so now after decades of obesity). You might enjoy some of the challenges or groups. One very active group I know of is the Larger Losers group, for people who have or had 80 pounds or more to lose. A direct link is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

One of the current active threads in that group is titled "What does it mean to lose weight in a SENSIBLE and SUSTAINABLE fashion?" and seems to be talking about exactly the kind of course you're talking about.

Wishing you great success here on MFP!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Welcome!

One thing I like about it here is that the prevalent culture -- as I experience it -- isn't about weight loss above all else. Are there people here doing that? Absolutely. It's a big, diverse group of people. But there are people here who have taken lengthy "diet breaks" because they knew they needed a physical or mental break. There are people who started with an aggressive goal and realized on the path to that goal that they wanted to reset it and choose something less aggressive. There are people who have realized they lost too much weight or were restricting too much or exercising at a level that wasn't contributing to their happiness and have made adjustments. There are people who were like "I'm never eating [x] again" and then changing their mind.

There are lots of people here who think of their weight as important, but there are other people who are more interested in just breaking some destructive habits around food. My personal story is that trying to eat intuitively was a source of stress and that choosing to log each day and hit a specific calorie goal is actually mentally freeing. I don't expect everyone to share that experience -- for some people logging isn't freeing and for some it may actually be hurtful.

So while there may be some prominent voices here pushing weight loss above all else, there are also people who realize that our weight is just one piece of who we are and, frankly, it's a lot less interesting than many other characteristics that we may have. Many of us have harmed ourselves physically or emotionally in pursuit of weight loss (or at least been unkind to ourselves), so as a result, many of us are more alert for ways that aggressive weight control methods may not be a great thing.

I think you will see a general bias towards counting calories here because . . . well, it's a calorie counting website. Most of us who stick around here either had success using the main tools, otherwise we would have moved on to something else. But that doesn't mean that other perspectives can't be found or that people who are at different places aren't welcome.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Welcome! I have never been obese, but I have a lifetime of resenting my body, not feeling worthy of things I consider treats, and have never, ever viewed myself as athletic. I approached this site the way you are. In fact, I didn't even own a scale when I started and didn't weigh myself until four months (and 22 pounds down) later. I managed to keep most of that off, but as many do, I lost track of my eating habits, stopped logging, and the weight began it's inevitable creep. Add in Covid lockdown and closed gyms, and well, another 10 came on.

I think you have a great attitude about your body and really, your overall health :) I am approaching this as a "get back on track" with a side benefit of dropping those pounds that are really hard to lug around and make doing fun things more difficult. I'm logging my food, moving my body regularly, and basically avoiding the scale because I'm in a small deficit that will be hard to notice week to week. Instead, I'm focusing on the benefits of better sleep, more energy, and feeling strong-all things that make me LOVE my body :heart:

You'll read A LOT about calorie counting, because as it was said, it's a calorie counting website, but peek in at some of those posts. I have learned so much from the longtime posters here. They probably have no idea how many people they resonate with each day. If you have a crummy day, a setback, or are feeling mentally or emotionally unsure/fragile/fed up, post here and you'll get so many people willing to put out a hand and pull you back up. I LOVE your attitude. So many people lose the weight and find that they don't love themselves any more. Your awareness of your own strength and beauty will carry you so far.

Good luck and welcome again!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    I started my weight loss journey when I was obese (BMI 34), ironically right after I bought a bunch of clothes that fit me and I thought looked good on me. I'm wondering if there wasn't an aspect of 'accepting myself before I'm ready to lose weight' allergy to it.

Anyway, the reason I came to MFP was to count calories and lose weight, but not at any cost. I wasn't even sure it would work (or rather - I thought it wouldn't but gave it a try anyway). But calorie counting gave me the freedom to eat what I want (in more appropriate quantities) instead of the classic 'eliminate x y and z' diet without knowing you're actually in a calorie deficit. I still have treat foods everyday (aside from healthy foods of course). I like everything I eat and haven't excluded any foods from my diet.

I also chose the slowest rate of loss available from the start (although I did stay under my calorie goal by a fair margin the first months).
    Exercise came afterwards and has had huge rewards: not being as out of breath during hikes and walks for example, and just being able to do regular daily activities more regularly. I'm probably fitter now than I was before gaining weight in my early 20s (currently 38).

For me time has flown despite choosing the slowest weight loss rate, and I'm now a whisper away from a normal BMI. I'm feeling a lot better in my skin and a lot healthier too. I still have insecurities but after a lifetime of feeling insecure, it's going to take time 🙂

Slow and steady wins the race, is a great motto for weight loss! I think you have a great mindset to be successful.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 173 Member
    Welcome. I don't count calories, well, not really. I've tried in the past and get frustrated since there is so much variability in our cooking (i.e. eyeball largest bunch of celery, parsley, etc, but get home, and it's more stem or more leaves). I also have a hard time accepting accurate calories when I know we're not the type to accurately weigh/measure in our cooking.

I think this week is the longest log streak I've had, but it's not even that accurate as half my meals are entered into the food notes because I haven't figured out the recipe part to at least get an estimate.

I also don't weigh myself as I know I tend to focus too much on the number and also know there's fluctuations and a variety in weight. I do have a pair of shorts that I've been trying on periodically to gauge where I'm at.

I've done well with all of that, up until I lost my routine that comes along with working in an office (I'm now home-based until March/May) and lost my stress outlets (gym, running group). The lack of normalcy during the holidays really affected me and I'm trying to get back on track.

I do my best to focus on health rather than all the other small things. It's a practice/journey. I like to tell my friends/family that I'm a work in progress.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you just want to chat or need a health buddy.
  • Br00klynbaby90
    Br00klynbaby90 Posts: 60 Member
    Hey would love to be a supportive friend to you!
  • BookszLover
    BookszLover Posts: 9 Member
    Hey, feel free to add me - amped to be a supportive friend :)
  • JuanSLOjourney
    JuanSLOjourney Posts: 62 Member
    Hello, you can always add me. I have been documenting my journey for a few years now. And I can finally say, I am starting to enjoy the process.