Low Carb Recipe Ideas

mama2mms
mama2mms Posts: 2 Member
Hi Folks,

I am trying to figure out low carb. My doctor wants me to consume 80 g or less per day in order to get the scale moving the right direction. I have struggled with my weight for YEARS, and we are hoping that reducing my carb intake and balancing everything out will get me closer to a health weight. Is anyone else out there watching their carbs? Do you have favorite meals?

Thank you!

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    When I eat low-carb meals (usually breakfast and lunch), I got for a meat (ie chicken) and lots of veg (like a cup or more of brussel sprouts, or whatever you love). I like salads with fish too. Add some oil and vinegar (I like flaxseed oil and ACV) with seeds, shredded carrot, sauerkraut, seaweed, or whatever you like to make it interesting. These are my two favorite low-carb meals.
  • mama2mms
    mama2mms Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks! I will definitely take a look at these!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I also watch my carbs, due to diabetes, but am not keto.

My lowest carb breakfasts are bacon, eggs (usually scrambled) and mushrooms. Sometimes I add grilled tomato for variety. Or I'll have sugar-free soya yoghurt with nuts, seeds and berries. Any carbs come from the berries. My porridge isn't low carb, but the oats keep me feeling full for longer so I don't snack.

For lunches, I make a big salad and then add protein. Sometimes I make chicken and veg soup or butternut squash soup. Both are filling.

Low carb dinner ideas are to pile your plate with veggies and protein and to limit the potatoes, rice, pasta, noodle, couscous etc. I regularly do huge vegetable stirfries and just add diced chicken or beef or prawns or top the pile with grilled salmon fillet or chicken breast. For serving with curries, I make cauliflower rice (can be frozen) and use that instead of normal rice or half and half. If I do have rice, I cook it in bulk and freeze in 100g portions - it's not a lot, but it's just enough to soak up sauces or juices and to make me feel like I've had some rice. I spiralise courgette which enables me to halve the amount of spaghetti or tagliatelli I cook if having bolognese. For any meal that calls for potatoes, I find that oven-baked wedges are my best option as one medium potato, cut into 8 wedges, seems a fair amount on the plate!

For snacks (and indeed for anything you buy), study packaging. I buy popcorn and lentil curls (I'm in the UK). Per 100g the carb count is similar to other crisp-type snacks, but the packets are smaller so the amount of carbs I eat is less.

Much of what I eat now is based on trial and error. I kept tabs on what I was typically buying and noted the carb count per 100g. I then started mostly buying/eating the foods that had the lowest number. Berries are lower in carbs than bananas and apples, for example. If you have time, list what you like to eat - fruit, veg, salad stuffs, side dishes etc - then google the nutrition info and make a note of the figure per 100g. Tailor your meals accordingly.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Some traditional low carb dinner recipes. Please google. I don't miss skipping the optional rice in nam prik ong and beef lok lak. Similarly I don't miss the bread accompaniment to bagna cauda. Ditto potatos in salade nicoise, grande alioli and gado gado.
  • blink811
    blink811 Posts: 1 Member
    Grilled/baked chicken salads with a vinaigrette dressing (creamy based salad dressings are SO good but unfortunately super unhealthy). Load it up with veggies! I always say to be healthy you have to taste a rainbow variety of fruits and veggies. I like to add these toppings to my salads for good flavors so it isnt boring:

Red/yellow/orange/green peppers, cucumbers, black olives, unthawed frozen peas, chickpeas, red onion and cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds--yum! Or switch it up with different deli meats like ham or turkey. Side of baked potato with 2T. of Greek non-fat yogurt as a substitute for Sour cream and you'll be satisfied and full with a meal that is about 500 calories.

Here is one of my favorite salad dressings that is also a great marinade for chicken:

Chili Cilantro Lime Chicken
    4 medium chicken breasts boneless, skin-less (or thighs)
    Marinade:
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    zest of one lime or 1 tsp
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
    2 garlic cloves chopped finely
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
    1 teaspoon red chilli flakes adjust to taste
    ½ teaspoon ground Cumin

*Reserve 1/2 marinade for chicken breasts and other 1/2 as salad dressing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    We did Cambodian beef lok lak tonight. I don't miss not doing the optional rice. Delicious and easy. I deviate a little from standard recipes.

For two people prep a plate each of salad with lettuce, tomato, red onion and cucumber. Make the dipping sauce of a half teaspoon of freshy ground black pepper, the juice of a lime (zest optional) and a big pinch of salt and two big pinches of sugar. Thinly slice 150g steak (or chicken breast) against the grain and toss in a carrier bag with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and a good pinch of salt. Make the stir fry sauce of a tablespoon of ketchup, a teaspoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce and set aside.

When you are ready to eat, in a well seasoned wok or non stick pan start frying 2 cloves of finely minced garlic with a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil, then add the beef and toss to stir fry. Heat up a second frying pan for the fried eggs with a little splash of vegetable oil. When either the garlic is starting to colour or the beef stops looking raw throw in the stir fry sauce. Clean out the sauce bowl by stirring in a quarter cup of water and toss into the beef. Turn the heat to low to keep warm while you fry a couple of eggs sunny side up. Serve beef and egg on salad and spoon over some dipping sauce at the table.
    ig2e3s3u1w8n.jpeg
  • Chrishalv
    Chrishalv Posts: 1 Member
    I think you will find great recipes on “ketoconnect.net” They also have a great YouTube channel. Recipes are tasty and simple for busy days.