Loose Weight or Die

Hi my name is Neva, I am 61 years and have several serious medical problems including Type 2 Diabetes, C.O.P.D. ,Osteoporosis and cirrhosis of liver. I have been in a wheelchair for 2 years and got up to 246 lbs which is really bad since i am only 4'4" tall. In September I got COVID-19 and was hospitalized in cardiac ICU for 10 days almost died, but for the Grace of God I survived. 3 months later I was still having issues and was hospitalized again with shortness of breath,chest pains and internal bleeding. I was put on lasix for edema. I lost 21 lbs of fluid and the Dr told me if I don't lose the weight I am gonna die. So here I am since I got out of the Hospital on Jan 6 I have lost 17 more lbs. The Dr has me on high protein and high fiber diet so that limits what I can eat dramatically. I started physical therapy today for strength training due to muscle atrophy. Would love to meet others that are going through similar issues for encouragement and support. Thank you

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Welcome to MFP! You been through a lot, and there are people here to support you. Use your medical team, for sure!

Best of luck! 🍀
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    My boss got to the point many years ago where he had to lose weight or die. He had some surgery, and in fact, he did die for a while on the table. He's made some awesome changes and is mobile and healthy now. He'll always be a big man; just built that way. It's even hard for him to find shoes big enough. But he was able to pull it together. You can too.

It sounds like you've got a good team working with you. Take anything you read on here with a grain of salt and run it by your medical team. There's some gems here and some real turds. You can polish a turd, but it's still a shiny turd.

Keep working on being the best you that is possible, and share your successes and failures. Sharing failure dilutes the pain, and sharing the joy multiplies it. Don't quit. You'll have hard times, but keep working on it. You obviously know the alternatives. You can do this. It's not easy. But you can!
  • kaycoes
    kaycoes Posts: 54 Member
    Nevergoergen.
    Female 33 have congenital muscular fiber type disporpotion. Aka weak muscles.. am also 4ft 7.. I feel for you! You can do this!! Don't give up! You've come far already, and are very strong for everything you've gone through already!! Us short girls got to stick together...lol.. look for my add
  • nevagoergen
    nevagoergen Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement. They mean a lot
  • Arawra90
    Arawra90 Posts: 70 Member
    Welcome! I had covid myself last month and ended up with pneumonia and partially collapsed lung. It's a rough one. What it made me realize though was how much I was neglecting my health and taking my mobility and energy for granted. You are making a great choice by starting here. You are among friends. Good luck on your journey!
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Recently out of the hospital with COVID pneumonia. Nasty antibiotic (Levofloxacin) but it killed the pneumonia. Need to go back to logging my food choices so I make better ones, and rebuild my gut health after the black box antibiotic. At this point, they are stabilizing patients and sending them home to recover. Doc said other than being over 70, obesity was the #1 predictor of recovery and length of stay.