Moderate carbs and sugar in pcos?

Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss

Hi there after seeing my doctor she recommended me to seriously moderate carbs and sugar due to my pcos im also on metformin
Been struggling with weight and low energy for so long now
Any of you have any stories to share ?
Thx

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I don't personally have experience, but this is a great group if you are lowering carbs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

And it looks like this group has gotten pretty quiet, but it might be nice to see if it can get revived and be a place for those struggling with PCOS to easily connect. There may be a plethora of information in some of the older threads as well, even if they aren't currently active.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

~best wishes on your journey
  • Untilproud11
    I don't personally have experience, but this is a great group if you are lowering carbs:

And it looks like this group has gotten pretty quiet, but it might be nice to see if it can get revived and be a place for those struggling with PCOS to easily connect. There may be a plethora of information in some of the older threads as well, even if they aren't currently active.

~best wishes on your journey

Thanks !

• Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    I actually do have experience with this. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance at 18. Learning about the effects of sugar and carbs in my body changed my life. Sugary drinks was a constant for me while I was a teenager, and I had a major sweet tooth. I quit sodas and sweet tea, went low sugar and low carb (I only quit white bread and pasta, I still ate wheat), learning to love fruits and vegetables, I completely reversed my PCOS by diet alone. I also lost like 50 pounds in less than a year without much effort and my energy absolutely skyrocketed. Now I’m 35, I have 3 children and my weight has fluctuated with babies and overeating, but it still remains imperative that I control my sugar intake for my health. I can feel my energy levels start to tank when I over-indulge in sugar! Feel free to friend me!
  • Untilproud11
    Kandisn29 wrote: »
    I actually do have experience with this. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance at 18. Learning about the effects of sugar and carbs in my body changed my life. Sugary drinks was a constant for me while I was a teenager, and I had a major sweet tooth. I quit sodas and sweet tea, went low sugar and low carb (I only quit white bread and pasta, I still ate wheat), learning to love fruits and vegetables, I completely reversed my PCOS by diet alone. I also lost like 50 pounds in less than a year without much effort and my energy absolutely skyrocketed. Now I’m 35, I have 3 children and my weight has fluctuated with babies and overeating, but it still remains imperative that I control my sugar intake for my health. I can feel my energy levels start to tank when I over-indulge in sugar! Feel free to friend me!
    Thanks I will !

• Untilproud11
    Bump
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    I have type 2 diabetes which I had very well under control until Covid hit and I became an eating and drinking machine. Out of shear boredom my wife started baking, I started eating bread again, truth be told I was not doing what had worked for me in the past.

Time to pay the piper as they say happened on November 30th when I had my full blood work done for my virtual doctor visit. A1c was over 11 and my fasting blood sugar was over 300!

To make a short story long, I came back to MFP, started logging and cut out sugar and bread and pasta and within only one and a half months my A1c was down 4 percentage points and I've lost 20 pounds just with those simple changes.

Yes, it can be done!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I have PCOS and have had no need to restrict carbs and sugar. Presumably you should do so for whatever reason you need Metformin.
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Wow, I feel dumb - I had no idea what PCOS was until I just googled it. Sorry I butted in.